INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My right to burn  (Read 2995 times)

azdood

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
My right to burn
« on: July 27, 2004, 07:58:15 pm »

I've tried to copy a music CD that was ripped in the WMA format using my new MC 10.  When I went to burn it I got a message saying I didn't have the right to burn the CD and to please remove it from my queue.

Isn't there some way I can get the rights so I can copy this CD?

I've activated "Enable Personal Rights" in the MC 10.  I also unchecked the ""Enable Person Rights" option in my Windows Media Player.  Was those the wrong choices?

Would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.  
We are all bozos on this bus...

JeffB

• World Citizen
Re:My right to burn
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 08:19:49 pm »

If you didn't rip those tracks yourself and you got them from someone else then the message you are getting means DRM is doing it's job and you won't likely find much help here.  If you did rip them yourself then just use the original cd to make a copy.  Problem solved.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:32:58 pm »

I just got the MC 10, so I don't know some of the basics.  Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand your reply.  I ripped the CD myself and couldn't burn it because I got that message saying I didn't have the right to burn it.  End of story as far as what I know.  Thanks.  

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 08:59:18 pm »

Could you rip to another format? DRM is used only with WMA (if enabled).

Monkey's Audio is absolutely lossless. The quality will be identical with the original CD. Though the files are quite big.

MP3 is the most popular compressed format. With MP3 you could use the following encoding settings for high quality: Encoder: MP3 Encoder VBR, Quality: High.

DRM @ Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm/default.aspx

Could someone from JRiver explain how the DRM works in MC? There is nothing in the Help.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 09:06:51 pm »

Thanks.  Not to sound like I'm from another planet, but how do I rip in another format?  Do I need to download another tool to do that?  Is that what those different tools you mentioned are for?  Thanks again....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 09:16:50 pm »

At least from the Moon.   :)

Go to: Tools (on the top) -> Options -> Encoding -> Encoding Type & Quality

For Monkey's Audio (APE) Normal Quality is the best choice (in my opinion).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 09:35:20 pm »

Very cool!!!  I'm beginning to see the light!!!  Just one more question tonight and then I'll leave you in peace.  Shouldn't I go back to the Windows Media Player and check the box for Enable Personal Right Management?  I have it unchecked now.

Thank you very much!!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 10:34:59 pm »

Probably you can leave that unchecked. It is needed when you buy WMA music files online. Actually I don't know. You could check the Microsoft link.

It is possible that JRiver explains DMR in MC to us. 50-50 chance, I guess.  :)

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 01:25:04 am »

DRM often also needs to be enabled when playing downloaded Windows Media Video files.

I always have DRM disabled and only turn it on when prompted. Although installed, I can't remember the last time I used the WindowsMediaPlayer itself, (I hate Microsoft's meddeling - telling me what I can do with the music I paid for, etc!).

I rip (for mp3) with Easy CD-DA Extractor as it gives me a higher bitrate than MC - VBR High (320kbs), MC (9.0) only gives me 192 Kbs at VBR High, (maybe I have something set wrong in MC).

The web site I purchase much of my music from offers most formats and quality levels including mp3 VBR High (296 kbs) and no DRM.

I chose mp3 for 2 reasons:

1. I'm not as critical a listener as I used to be and while I can hear the difference in an A/B test between a CD(wav) and the high bitrate mp3, it's not a big one and I don't listen to music in an A/B test. The main difference can adjusted for with my tone controls.(I'm speaking here of rock music). For classical and jazz I do use Monkey's Audio.

2. Space. Mp3s take up a lot less space. I don't have unlimited funds for hard drives eventhough they are getting cheaper all the time.

Lps & tapes that I record, I first make CDs from the WAV file before converting them to mp3. I only play CDs in my car.

This are just my opinions.

Listening to: 'The Pilgrim' from 'Live Dates' by 'Wishbone Ash' - 1973 on Media Center 9.0

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 08:36:49 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I followed all your advice and had a whole lot more luck.  Not complete successful, but showing promise.  I ripped and nearly burned the CD in question but going with the Monkey format, but got shot down at track 7 with "This track is in illegal mode" once again.

Have you or do you know anyone who has had success with switching to one of the free rippers that are available?  AudioGrabber [ ihttp://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/ ] is suppost to be quite good.  The reason I ask is that the problem might be with my Windows Media Player.  I have an unusual setup.  I have Dell installed Windows ME and it comes automaticlly equipped with the WMP7.  You can't upgrade to WMP9.  I tried and ended up spending half a day on the phone with Microsoft uninstalling the darn thing and reinstalling the old WMP7 again.  Somehow, in doing that, I think I screwed up something that may be causing all my problems with my new MC10.

Do you have any thoughts on this?  Is it absolutely necessary for me to have a Windows Media Player?  Thanks and if you're ever in Phoenix I'll buy you some serious beer.

David

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 08:54:08 pm »

If you can use a PC with Windows XP instead of ME, I think you will find life to run a bit smoother.

modelmaker

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 10:55:21 pm »

I have never had a DRM problem ripping with Easy CD-DA Extractor and it has all the same format options as MC (www.poikosoft.com). They have a free trial version. I hate to say this, but I find the ripper and the file converter more intuitive to use. Quality=MC

Have you tried ripping this CD to wav with DRM disabled?
Jay.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 11:01:48 pm »

Thanks.  If I choose to use the EZ CD Extractor, can I uninstall Windows Media Player without it causing problems with my new MC10?  I kind of get the idea that I have to have Windows Media Player and I'd just as soon dump the turkey.... Thanks again.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 11:15:13 pm »

Sorry.  What DRM again?

modelmaker

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 11:20:23 pm »

You don't have to uninstall it  - just don't use/open it. (I deleted from the desktop and taskbar). Some things downloaded/streamed from the web require WMP to be installed,(ditto for Realplayer) As long as  all the file associations are set for MC, WMP really shouldn't give you a problem.

Listening to: 'The Sky Is No Limit' from 'The Planet Earth Rock 'N Roll Orchestra' (1985) by 'Paul Kantner, Grace Slick & David Freiberg' on Media Center 9.0
Jay.

modelmaker

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 11:22:41 pm »

DRM= Digital Rights Management (ie: copy protection)

This is what is giving you problems ripping that CD.

Listening to: 'Long May You Run' from 'Long May You Run' by 'Stills-Young Band' on Media Center 9.0
Jay.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 11:33:10 pm »

Thanks.  An, The Sky Is No Limit.  Brings back my old hippy days.

I'm really not used to all this new audio info.  Would you please tell me how I can make sure my file associations are set to MC?  Thanks.  I'm serious about buying you all some beers.  

modelmaker

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 11:45:46 pm »

Options>scroll to "File Associations". You can click on the box with the checkmark to selct all media files or check the individual boxes.

You should also check: "Always take control of file types" You will have to enable "media scheduler": scroll to "General" and check the media scheduler box.

Listening to: 'Lucky' from 'The Reason' by 'Hoobastank' on Media Center 9.0
Jay.

modelmaker

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 11:51:40 pm »

Long live hippies! 8) I'm living in the past tonight.

Listening to: 'Angry Eyes' from 'On Stage' by 'Loggins & Messina' on Media Center 9.0   (one of the best jams ever)
Jay.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 11:59:04 pm »

Good for you.  I've been buying CDs of old albums I used to have.  Everything from the Bee Gees to Tina Turner.  Thanks for all the info.  I'll follow all your advice.  As soon as I figure out how to shut down the DRM, I'm going to attempt the burn again.  

modelmaker

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2004, 12:44:13 am »

azdood: check your MC email.
Jay.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 01:04:55 am »

got it Jay.  Gracias.  Going there now....
Pages: [1]   Go Up