INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need upgrade help....  (Read 1664 times)

azdood

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Need upgrade help....
« on: August 21, 2004, 11:14:43 pm »

I'm upgrading my system to XP from ME this week.  Also getting a lot more memory, new CD/DVD burner and a new drive.

My question is: should I empty out MC and un-install it before the upgrade or will it make the transition by just leaving it as is?

Thanks.  Always appreciate your feedback.

azdood (aka David)
We are all bozos on this bus...

Dragyn

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Need upgrade help....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 11:40:59 pm »

I highly recommend doing a clean install (format). That kind of transition is a bit risky IMO.
If you don't format, I think MC will be fine. Never did it before so I really don't know.

When XP first came out, I upgraded from ME. After it was done, a lot of things were messed up so I had to format anyway.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 01:11:49 am »

Could you please give me more information on doing a clean install (format)?  I'm new to all these terms.  Thank you.

bebop

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 01:33:29 am »

I'm not sure about the clean install thing myself, but I think, and I might be wrong,  Dragyn means  one should format the machine, install the os upgrade and then reinstall all your programs (having backed up all your data first).  I know that I had some problems when I went from ME to XP, but I just had to reinstall some of the programs and didn't do the whole format thing first.  

Listening to: 'Distant Lover' from 'Motown' by 'Michael Mcdonald' on Media Center 10

Dragyn

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 01:36:43 am »

Well first you would want to have everything backed up. Any files you made, downloaded, etc. Any settings/passwords you have (Internet, Sites, Emails, etc). Then any programs that you use you would want to make sure you have the install disc (CD, floppy, etc). Something I should have done when upgrading to SP2 (long story).

I'm assuming you bought the upgrade version of XP (since you already had WinME). Now don't quote me on this but if I remember right, when you install XP on a clean drive, it will ask you for your WinME CD to make sure you qualify for an upgrade. Maybe someone else here can verify this.

When your ready, just reboot your computer with the XP disc in the drive. It will go through some options and you would want to choose format c:\. Make sure you format the correct drive. When I did it once, I picked the wrong drive and well, lost everything. That's even a longer story...

Just have to remember that when you format, everything will be gone. It will be like getting a new PC when your finished.

If you use Outlook Express for your emails, backup the store folder. To find this, go into Outlook, then to Tools, Options, Maintenance, and click on "Store Folder". This would be the directory your emails are saved. Back that up onto a different drive/disk.

If you are having doubts about doing this, then just install XP on top of ME (upgrade option) and see how things work out. I just know that a clean install will work better as it gets rid of some useless junk clogging up the system.

bebop

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 01:41:36 am »

Might want to add that you should disconnect any external drives, as things can go wrong  and your 'puter will try to format it even if you have only format "C" checked - happend to me, don't know how, but my external had all my backups on it, and it wasn't a pretty sight!    

Listening to: 'Margarita Madness 192' from 'Josh Turner' by 'Josh Turner' on Media Center 10

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 02:34:42 am »

I feel like someone needs to intervene here.  The advice given here, while well intentioned, I think is only serving to confuse and scare.

Here's my advice, and I have done this a number of times and it has always worked out well.  Backup everything.  This means backup all your important files, pictures, documents, taxes...  whatever.

Install XP as an upgrade - this should be a simple process.  Insert the XP disc and run setup from within Windows ME.  Follow the directions.

Once you have finished the process, everything should work normally.

The only time I have ever heard of anyone having problems with the upgrade is when they have upgraded an older version of Windows that was *already* having issues.  With sub-NT (95, 98, ME) OS's, that generally means that the OS had been installed for a long time and many programs had been installed and uninstalled.

If, in the end, you find you have serious issues with the upgrade, you still have a backup and can do a clean install.  I believe this will be unnecessary.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 11:59:53 am »

Thank you all!!!  I'll follow everyone's advice and just for good measure, I think I'll have a stiff one first.

Thanks again.

az dood (aka David)

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 10:30:31 pm »

I think I'll have a stiff one first.
I'll have one too!

I did it the way paulr described.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up