INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony ATRAC files playable by MJ 8?  (Read 1229 times)

jaysss

• Change this by choosing profile
Sony ATRAC files playable by MJ 8?
« on: August 29, 2004, 01:32:37 am »

In the 'History' for MJ 8 it says re v. 8.0.311 (6/26/02): "Added support for ACM codec compressed wav files (ATRAC, etc.)."  Does that mean I can import and play Sony ATRAC3 (.omg) files with MJ 8?  (The ATRAC3 codec is installed on my system in 'Audio Codecs'.)  Second question (not so critical, but desirable): can I then convert them to wav or mp3?  

Background:  I've been using MJ 7.2.280 (Plus) on Windows XP since 2002.  I recently acquired a lot of ATRAC3 files that I'd like to import and play in MJ, but it isn't possible with my current version.  I was finally able to import and play a test file by fudging it -- changing the file extension from ".omg" to ".mpa" (".wm" and ".snd" also work) -- but the sound quality is inferior and the EQ, DSP, and visualizations don't work (i.e., it behaves as if the input is analog rather than digital).  I know it's not using ACM because the fudged file will play even when all Windows ACM codecs are disabled (in 'Device Manager - Sound, Video, and Game Controllers - Audio Codecs') .  The sound quality is OK on Sony's Sonic Stage and even Windows Media Player, but I hate those programs and want to integrate my whole music library in MJ.  There are no ATRAC input or encoder plugins on the MJ or Winamp sites.  I don't mind not being able to edit and save tag info (I can do that in Sonic Stage) or convert them to other formats (which even SS won't do -- see below), but I'd minimally like to import and play them (hopefully also import the tag info so I don't have to re-enter everything in my MJ library).

(FYI, it's well known and documented on various forums that Sony provides no way to convert ATRAC to any other format -- otherwise I'd just convert them to MP3 , or to WAV then MP3, which is what I want to do!  Nor have I found any 3rd-party software that will do it, other than by recording from the sound card, which produces atrocious results quality-wise.  I've done extensive internet research and there are a LOT of people out there with the same problem and complaints against Sony.)

Can someone using MJ 8 or the current version of MC please tell me if it works with ATRAC files?  Or, if someone at JRiver is reading this, will it work if I upgrade to MJ 8, or is there an update to MJ 7 that will add ACM support?  Thanks!

Jay

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Sony ATRAC files playable by MJ 8?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 09:48:34 pm »

Sony's ATRAC format is their own and they don't share.  I don't think anything we make will play them or convert them.  Maybe some day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up