INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with selecting a portable  (Read 1416 times)

Russell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Help with selecting a portable
« on: September 27, 2004, 02:30:29 pm »

I ripped all of my CDs some time ago and have been happily using MC for over a year.  I use MC (v11) to stream music to various PCs I have set up around the house expressly for playing music.  I am now ready to get a portable player and would appreciate any recommendations.

Since I do not yet have one of these devices, I am not familiar with all of their capabilities.  However, I want something that works well with MC, has a large capacity (>30GB), is relatively small (similar to ipod), can be played through my car's stereo, and can play playlists shuffled.  

I have been having a lot of difficulty researching this last point.  I often play MC by picking several songs  (or genres, artists, etc.) that I would like to hear, queuing them in the "Playing Now" list, and hitting shuffle.  This way I can listen to the type of music I want , but also have a bit of variety in terms of the ordering of the songs.  I thought that I could get roughly the same functionality out of a portable by building a number of playlists in MC and then playing a list shuffled on the portable.

I am leaning toward an iPod or Zen, but I would love to hear as many opinions as possible.  Do either of these devices do exactly what I want?  Or perhaps something better?  Should I be considering any other devices?  Does your favorite device do something really cool that I should consider?  By the way, all of my music is in ape format.  What is the best way/format to get this musics onto my portable?  (I plan to keep all of my music on a single large portable, so swapping music on the portable should not be much of an issue.)  Also, I am not terribly concerned with cost, as I expect this device to get a lot of use.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Help with selecting a portable
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 09:11:12 pm »

Russell, have been more than  happy with my  60 gig Zen.  It shuffles, does playlists has an 8 hour battery life before needing recharging, works with an FM transciever thingie to work in my Rav4 and happily exists with MC 10 and I hear it should work with MC11 too (although i just today got MC11, and haven't quite figured it out with the Zen, but am sure Steve will have my questions answered soon - he always does) ;D   My Zen has travelled to Hawaii and Alaska a few times and is still working merrily away.  The only drawback with the zen - mine is one of the first 60 GB models, and it has an internal battery....this could be a concern in the future as they no longer make this model (as I understand it).  and it is only 60 gigs (sigh) which I have almost filled to capacity.   happy shopping     Bet

Listening to: 'Hawaiian Lullabye' from 'Unknown' by 'The Brothers Cazimero' on Media Center 11

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
Re:Help with selecting a portable
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:05:58 am »

Have had My 40gb Zen extra for awhile and could'nt be more pleased , Sound is great and I take it with Me everywhere . I was like You was thinking about Ipod but went with the Zen and glad I did ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up