INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advantage of cover art inside file?  (Read 1897 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Advantage of cover art inside file?
« on: October 23, 2004, 10:12:52 am »

What are the advantages and disadvantages of storing cover art inside the file, as opposed to just in the cover art directory?

How can I either get my cover art outside the file, and into the directory, or get all the directory art inside the files?

Thanks
pretend this is something funny

paulr

• nothing more to say...
Re:Advantage of cover art inside file?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 01:30:56 pm »

I believe that storing art inside files can hamper streaming in certain situations, but I could be mistaken.

The issue of cluster slack space is null if you are using NTFS.  By default NTFS uses 4KB clusters (for any drive size currently on the market), so there is no advantage either way.

I personally see no reason to store them inside the files.  If you use the folder.jpg method, then your cover art will always be with your music files.  Also, what if, like me, you have more than one image?  I frequently have the front, back, and inside pages of the liner notes scanned in.  Sometimes I even scan in the disc itself if it is interesting.

But as marko said, it comes down to preference.  

editdsn

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 08:47:45 pm »

i did what marko suggested and extracted all the track images from the files, took a while but definately saved some space.
thx for the tip.

Simple

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 09:09:50 pm »

Had some issues in the past with the 'folder. jpg' method. Lost all my images (more than once).

So I store them now consequently in my files - avoiding every problem. Needs some space, but believe me, it's worth. Just think about the time you need to collect them again.

edbro

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 11:17:09 pm »

Just backup your image files if you are afraid of losing them.  I use Winrar and simply tell it to back up my Music directory with *.jpg as a filter. This will backup all my images with their directories. If I lose any, or all, I simply run the self extracting archive and it restores them to their respective folders.

I copy my music to a Rio Karma. It has 20Gigs but even that gets eaten up quickly. I can't afford to have an image file embedded in each track.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 07:04:27 am »

There is nothing wrong with:

1. Saving them in the media file if that media type allows it
2. Saving them as folder. Jpg
3. Saving them as and external file

MC does not support multi pictures where Inferior Juke Boxes Do. It also does not support folder. Jpg as well as it could (unless that’s been changed recently, I do not Use Folder.jpg), but it seems when you have problems with a disconnect with the folder. Jpg you need to do it manually (so i have read in the past messages in this forum).

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 09:25:48 am »

If disk space is an issue to you, store them in folder.jpg or in a MC central location.
I understand that if you use a portable player such as an iPod, disk space can be an issue.
If it is not, I suggest storing them inside the file.

Never read any problem with images stored inside the files, but read many of them with images stored outside.

-----
Listening to: 'Blueprint' from 'Vespertine - Old' by 'Björk' on Media Center 10

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 02:57:23 pm »

A rename files from properties on the audio files wouldn't move the folder.jpg for example

I hope JRiver solves this problem someday... Renaming files from properties should handle art as well... Why the hell will somebody want to left the art picture behind? This has been a serious problem for sometime...

I know some situations should be considered. What if multiple albums (art art images) are stored on the same folder? But I think is worth to think about it and found a solution... The normal situation is one album per folder, and one picture per album... Should JRiver handle renaming files from properties in a normal way? I think so...

Pages: [1]   Go Up