INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asynchronous display and sound  (Read 7721 times)

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
Asynchronous display and sound
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:06:55 pm »

Why is it that when watching TV in MC the display and sound are not synchronous? I have a Hauppauge PVR350 tv-tunercard and a SoundBlaster Live sound card.

A day without laughing is a day without living

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re:Asynchronous display and sound
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:59:09 am »

Hi Berto,

I do not know the cause of the problem at this time. I will be working on this device as soon as I have some time. As you know we have not fully supported this device yet.

A few months ago you were having tuner problem with this device. It looks like we have made some progress afterall, haven't we?

Best regards.

Yaobing
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 12:09:35 pm »

Hi Berto,

A few months ago you were having tuner problem with this device. It looks like we have made some progress afterall, haven't we?

Best regards.

Yaobing
Yes, you have and I'm happy about that. Because MC keeps telling me in TV Tuner in every new build that it does'nt support the Hauppauge PVR-cards, I left it alone for the past few months. I still don't know why I tried it again yesterday, but I am glad I did.
I still have one question. Where can I find the channel-configuration settings? I want to make a backup of them, in case I loose them when I install a new build of MC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:13:26 pm »

Are you running MC 10 or 11?

The location is different for MC 10 and MC 11.

Check these registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\Properties\TV Channels

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\TV Settings\TV Channels

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 02:55:23 pm »

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\TV Settings\TV Channels

Thanks a lot!

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 04:08:18 pm »

Hi Berto,

I do not know the cause of the problem at this time. I will be working on this device as soon as I have some time. As you know we have not fully supported this device yet.

Yaobing

I really love MC working together with my Hauppauge PVR350 tv-tunercard.
All things are functioning smoothly, except that one, very annoying thing that display and sound aren't synchronous (sound is ahead of the display). That makes it practically impossible to enjoy watching TV in MC.
I know you promised to look at this as soon as you have time. But in the meantime you maybe can give me some hints where to look in the configuration to experiment with different settings that possibly may solve the problem.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 08:10:27 am »

But in the meantime you maybe can give me some hints where to look in the configuration to experiment with different settings that possibly may solve the problem.

There is not any configuration that I can think of. The sound is output through your sound card's WAVE out, by DirectShow. Sorry about the trouble.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 12:16:39 pm »

But in the meantime you maybe can give me some hints where to look in the configuration to experiment with different settings that possibly may solve the problem.

There is not any configuration that I can think of. The sound is output through your sound card's WAVE out, by DirectShow. Sorry about the trouble.

Then I'll have to wait till you have time to take a look at the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 12:24:09 pm »

You might also want to check for software updates from Hauppauge.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 07:05:57 am »

You might also want to check for software updates from Hauppauge.
I have all the latest updates from Hauppauge. I don't have the problem when watching TV with the Hauppauge (WinTV) or other  software (Media Portal), only with MC.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 06:04:26 am »

Are there no MC-users at all that experience(d) the same problem as I do when watching TV in MC with the Hauppauge PVR350 TV-tunercard?
I use MC for listening and watching all my media and I love it, except that watching TV is a torment, because sound and display are asynchronous (sound is ahead of the display).

Updated:
I just discovered that the problem with asynchronous sound and display is gone when watching TV in time-shifting mode.
But when changing channels while in time-shifting mode there is no sound anymore. So when I want to switch channels in time-shifting mode I first have to cancel time-shifting before I can hear sound again

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 01:13:09 pm »

Are there no MC-users at all that experience(d) the same problem as I do when watching TV in MC with the Hauppauge PVR350 TV-tunercard?
I use MC for listening and watching all my media and I love it, except that watching TV is a torment, because sound and display are asynchronous (sound is ahead of the display).

Updated:
I just discovered that the problem with asynchronous sound and display is gone when watching TV in time-shifting mode.
But when changing channels while in time-shifting mode there is no sound anymore. So when I want to switch channels in time-shifting mode I first have to cancel time-shifting before I can hear sound again

No chance on solving this very annoying problem in the near future??

matshif

Re: Asynchronous display and sound
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 03:11:39 pm »

"Are there no MC-users at all that experience(d) the same problem as I do when watching TV in MC with the Hauppauge PVR350 TV-tunercard?
I use MC for listening and watching all my media and I love it, except that watching TV is a torment, because sound and display are asynchronous (sound is ahead of the display)."

I got the same problem with the sound as you, Berto.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 03:21:33 pm »

I got the same problem with the sound as you, Berto.

I'm sorry for you, but glad I'm not the only one.

matshif

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 03:40:38 pm »

Me too  :P

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 04:31:18 pm »

Matshif,
Which card are you using?

matshif

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 11:40:30 pm »

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2

and

Hauppage Win TV PVR 350

System information

Media Center Registered 11.0.190 -- C:\Program\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3189 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 701 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     DVD+RW ND-1100A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 08:37:48 am »

Why is it then that no problem exists when in time-shifting mode?

That is interesting. I will shamelessly take credit for that because time-shifting was entirely my design  ;)

Seriously, thank you all for your patience. I promise I will look into it soon (within the next few days).

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 12:45:53 pm »

That is interesting. I will shamelessly take credit for that because time-shifting was entirely my design  ;)

Seriously, thank you all for your patience. I promise I will look into it soon (within the next few days).
Then allow me to ask another question. In other programs like MediaPortal for instance you can turn on time-shifting without starting to record. Recording doesn't start till you hit the spacebar. In MediaCenter it is different. When you turn on time-shifting the recording starts immediately. I prefer MediaPortals way.

Amd to be clear:
In MediaCenter sound and display are synchronous when time-shifting is on, asynchronous when time-shifting is off (sound ahead of display). However when time-shifting is on and I want to switch to an other channel there is no sound anymore. So when I want to switch channels in time-shifting mode I first have to cancel time-shifting before I can hear sound again.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 04:34:10 pm »

And, of course I take full responsibility for some of the problems reported here too.

Hopefully I have fixed the sound problems. It should appear in the next build of MC.

Then allow me to ask another question. In other programs like MediaPortal for instance you can turn on time-shifting without starting to record. Recording doesn't start till you hit the spacebar. In MediaCenter it is different. When you turn on time-shifting the recording starts immediately. I prefer MediaPortals way.
I do not quite understand this. When you start time-shifting, the program has to start buffering the video in order for you to do "shifting".

matshif

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 11:31:55 pm »

Sorry,

Now it's maybe a little bit better but still this problem in build .193  :'(

The sound comes before display.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 12:02:45 am »

I do not quite understand this. When you start time-shifting, the program has to start buffering the video in order for you to do "shifting".
In Media Portal you can set time-shift mode without the program to go buffering immediately.  The program is then so to say ready for buffering and will do that actually when you hit the spacebar. In MC I believe the program immediately starts buffering when you set time-shifting mode even when I don't want it to at that moment.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 08:26:05 am »

Sorry,

Now it's maybe a little bit better but still this problem in build .193  :'(

The sound comes before display.

I'm sorry too. Here no change at all. Sound stays ahead of display.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 08:39:36 am »

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The fix is not in build 193. If you look at the time of my post, you will find that I did it after 193 was out. So the "next build" means 194 or later.

If any of you wish to test it before the new build of MC, please post a private message to me (to give me your email address) and I will send you the new component.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 08:47:28 am »

In Media Portal you can set time-shift mode without the program to go buffering immediately.  The program is then so to say ready for buffering and will do that actually when you hit the spacebar. In MC I believe the program immediately starts buffering when you set time-shifting mode even when I don't want it to at that moment.
Doesn't it feel a little over complex? You first go into the "mode", and then start buffering, why two steps?

In MC, the context menu item "Start time-shifting ..." starts buffering and playing, and the Pause button starts buffering in pause mode. One step.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 08:56:45 am »

Doesn't it feel a little over complex? You first go into the "mode", and then start buffering, why two steps?

In MC, the context menu item "Start time-shifting ..." starts buffering and playing, and the Pause button starts buffering in pause mode. One step.

But why buffering and playing at the same time? I just want to buffer when I have to go away and so can't watch anymore.
I just want to be ready anytime to buffer if I suddenly have to go away. And then one action (press spacebar) is much easier than go to the context menu and start time-shifting and then hit Pause.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2005, 09:15:35 am »

But why buffering and playing at the same time? I just want to buffer when I have to go away and so can't watch anymore.
I just want to be ready anytime to buffer if I suddenly have to go away. And then one action (press spacebar) is much easier than go to the context menu and start time-shifting and then hit Pause.
You do not have to "start time-shifting and then hit Pause". You just hit Pause when you need to go away, and hit the same button again when you come back.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 09:28:39 am »

You do not have to "start time-shifting and then hit Pause". You just hit Pause when you need to go away, and hit the same button again when you come back.
Now I understand. Thanks.
The new MJTVcontrol.dll does'nt solve the problem of asynchronous sound and display when watching live TV. But when I hit Pause and TV is going into time shifting mode the problem is over when I start to watch again. Sound and display are synchronous.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 09:58:16 am »

On AVSForum, user repair4man reported a fix for a similar problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=581855

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2005, 10:27:19 am »

On AVSForum, user repair4man reported a fix for a similar problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=581855

Thanks Jim. I also experience stuttering and asynchronous display and sound when watching Live TV.
But I have a multiprocessor PC and not a uniprocessor PC as repair4man reports in his thread. So I am not sure if I can try his fix without that having consequences for my PC.   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 10:34:14 am »

Did you try moving the sound card to a different slot?

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 03:47:48 pm »

Did you try moving the sound card to a different slot?
No, I didn't yet. I can't believe that causes the problem. When I watch Live TV the first 10 to 15 minutes everything is ok. Then every half minute or so the display and sound freeze for a short moment (a fraction of a second). After a while sound and display gradually go out of sync.
I have these problems with MediaPortal, but not with WinTV (Hauppauge's program).

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 03:59:14 pm »

Do you still have MP loaded???

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2005, 12:13:40 pm »

Do you still have MP loaded???