INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hooking media center up to stereo  (Read 2796 times)

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
hooking media center up to stereo
« on: November 17, 2004, 09:13:05 pm »

I've been using MC and MJ since back in the days.  I'm not a very sophisticated computer guy, but love the software.  I presently have hooked my computer up to my stereo via a Stereolink/USB and a long set of RCA cables to my receiver.  Great sound quality, but I have to use the computer to change the playlist, so it could be more convenient

Now I am moving my stereo system downstairs to a home theater setup.  I have been reading about digital media receivers on CNET, and am intrigued by the possibility of using something like these (such as the omnifi DMS1W or Slim Devices Squeezebox).  But I am worried that these things are not compatible with MC, and I am not willing to lose all the hard work I have done to build my MC playlists and song ratings.

Is there a digital media receiver that works with MC?  Has anyone had any success with these while using your MC playlists and song ratings?  Otherwise, I will try the TIVO Home Media Option, but is there any loss of sound quality compared to using a USB device like the Stereolink?  

I would greatly appreciate any guidance from anyone who has successfully used one of these digital media receivers, or any other technique that a simpleton like me could try.  Perhaps there is a thread already in existence that discusses this topic in detail (I tried searching without success).  Also, from the fine MC folks, are there any discussions with any vendors to make something (other than Tivo) that will connect our stereos to MC?  

Thanks for your thoughts!
johnh

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:hooking media center up to stereo
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 09:20:13 pm »

You could also use the Sony Roomlink with MC.  We expect to support other devices in the near future.

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 09:27:59 pm »

I looked at the roomlink info on the sony website--that's exactly what I'm talking about.  Do I have to have a sony Vaio laptop and/or the Vaio Media software, or will the roomlink talk to my regular old computer by using MediaCenter?  I have a MicronPC running an AMD Athlon processor.

just curious--you used the word "also."  Do you mean "in addition to the Tivo," or do you mean that some of those other devices in my initial post  work with MC?

Thanks!
johnh

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 07:06:18 am »

MC on any PC will work with the Roomlink.  No Sony software is required on the PC.  Try a search here.

Only Sony and TiVo are currently supported.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:02:59 am »

I went the Tivo approach and am VERY happy with it.  The only thing I wish it could do was pictures and audio at the same time (i.e. a slideshow with music), but this is a limitation of Tivo not MC.

IMHO, the Tivo streamed MP3s sound great, but you have to listen yourself as audio quality is such an individual thing.

The fact that there is a whole Tivo section of these forums tells you that it must be pretty popular with MC users.
Pages: [1]   Go Up