INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD Photo Support  (Read 9497 times)

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
IPOD Photo Support
« on: November 24, 2004, 12:57:45 am »

Is there a way to download photos into an IPOD photo from MC?
Thanks

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:IPOD Photo Support
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 09:42:59 am »

Not at this time.
We need to get one and add support for it.

Steve

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 10:57:53 am »

Thanks.

On another IPOD Photo note. When I bought mine I was looking forward to viewing album art, but the embedded album art on my mp3's do not show up, only art from Itunes mp4 files. I'm assuming this may be another ITUNES only feature, but it would be great if you could add support for this too.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 04:19:00 pm »

Are you downloading the m4p files with iTunes or MC? I would like to get *at least* my m4p art, but didn't know if this worked via MC.

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 04:51:04 pm »

At first I tried downloading the new U2 album which I purchased on Itunes, to my IPOD Photo via MC. It downloaded, but I couldn't play it on the IPOD. Then I downloaded it via Itunes and it plays okay. There is some initialization that has to happen for the licensing to allow playback, which only ITUNES seems to do. Typical Apple, have to do everything there way.

When I tried to play it in MC, it worked, but had to use ITUNES to validate the computer. I guess this is normal. This is my first purchase on ITUNES.

Of course, I would prefer to do everything in MC.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 05:04:06 pm »

Check the thread up at the top in this forum. It tells you what you have to do to your iPod (one time) in order to get iTMS music to play via MC.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »

yep i've been messing around with this myself and it appears that when you store an image within an mp3/mp4 using itunes the cover art shows up on the ipod. however, do the same with MC and the cover art is ignored. i guess it just needs a little tinkering...

Thanks.

On another IPOD Photo note. When I bought mine I was looking forward to viewing album art, but the embedded album art on my mp3's do not show up, only art from Itunes mp4 files. I'm assuming this may be another ITUNES only feature, but it would be great if you could add support for this too.

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 05:53:25 pm »

Are you downloading the m4p files with iTunes or MC? I would like to get *at least* my m4p art, but didn't know if this worked via MC.

FYI, I downloaded all my files via MC to the IPOD, no album art shows up. Then I purchased some ITUNES music, downloaded it via MC to IPOD, and it wouldn't play. Then I downloaded it via ITUNES.......it plays and shows the album art.

I haven't played around much with ITUNES, to see what works and doesn't work regarding album art. I've been MC centric for so long, I try everything in MC first, then revert to ITUNES if I have to.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 06:46:31 pm »

After you format your iPod, one time you need to download a song from iTunes. From then on, you can always download m4p files via MC and it will work. I believe this initial transfer creates the iTunes Dbase on teh iPod or something like that.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 05:12:32 pm »

thanks tlongacre.

Steve

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 05:46:07 pm »

just part of my contribution to keep you guys focused on improving MC!  ;D

Letzebuerger

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 05:30:24 pm »

Hello

Back on the thread title. I bought my third iPod, an iPod Photo 60GB. It's the best iPod I owned.
And I would be happy to see a full implementation of the photo and Album art features. That's the only reason I'm now using iTunes again.
Media Center is for me the most appropriate software on the market for my needs and I'm sure it will be even better in the future including the iPod photo support.

Wish everybody a nice weekend!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 06:05:59 pm »

We'll try to support the iPod photo by the end of January.

TheWiz

• Recent member
Re: IPOD Photo Support
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 02:44:19 am »

Jim H

That's GREAT news about the end of January target for iPod Photo support for MC.  Album art and photo synching would be fantastic.  Crossed fingers it all goes OK.

p.s.  with playlists created 'On the Go' on the iPod and then saved, is it possible for MC to synch these and then rename them in MC before synching back to the iPod ?  I have tried once or twice but MC failed to see the 'new' playlists ....

Thanks for your help.   MC is an awesome product, and worth a two month wait to avoid the misery of learning iTunes ....

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 05:08:59 am »

learning itunes isn't quite the misery, using it after using MC really is tho.

agree the january target is good news, can't wait to get this crappy itunes uninstalled! it appears maybe that MC11's final release will incorporate support for ipod photo, seeing as the two seem to have a similar projected release date?

matsonmw

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 09:58:10 pm »

Is the iPod Photo support still on track for end of January?  Patience was never my strong suit.

Mark

TheWiz

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 04:15:27 am »

Very much hoping it is too .... an update from the developers would be great, if poss. with expected functionality etc. - eg. will it be able to handle artwork that's been embedded in MP3 files ?

Thanks ....

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 10:11:04 am »

The timeline is still up in the air. Sorry to not be able to be more specific.

Steve

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 08:50:49 am »

I'd love this too please....

TheWiz

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 08:59:15 am »

Sorry to get on your case about this again J River, but it's merely an indication of my love for Media Center that I don't want to buckle and go over to the dark side (eg. iTunes).   Trouble is, it's my wife's iPod Photo - and she is on my case daily saying why can't she see album art, photos etc.

Any chance of some sort of update ?   Just anything - even if it's a case of 'we've dropped all plans of supporting the iPod Photo' or ... ' we have encountered problems with the photo compression side of things' etc.

Again - would happily pay a fee towards the plug in / upgrade work ....

Thanks for listening !

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 09:21:42 am »

We have one now.  That's progress, I suppose.  No idea when Steve will have time to take a close look at it.

Niba

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 01:56:28 pm »

Is there a way to download photos into an IPOD photo from MC?
Thanks
:'(

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 04:03:09 pm »

Not yet.

TheWiz

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2005, 03:41:24 am »

Steve -

Once again another q.  - & I hate to be impatient ! - but I guess there are a lot of others like me out there equally keen to get their hands on a plug in for the iPod Photo !

..... What do reckon the chances are that you'll manage to get some something working on this ?  Slim, fair, good ?  And any revised timing ideas now you've actually got an iPod Photo to hand ?

Thanks for any new info. you might have - much appreciated etc.

Patrick

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2005, 12:53:52 pm »

Patrick,

.... What do reckon the chances are that you'll manage to get some something working on this ?

Good.

And any revised timing ideas now you've actually got an iPod Photo to hand ?

Not sure. Sorry.

Steve

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 05:03:56 pm »

Steve,

I'm thinking of upgrading to an Ipod photo - will the usual music interface in MC11 work with this model - can wait for photo compatability but not music!

TIA. John.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2005, 05:37:27 pm »

John,

I've been using an iPod photo since the day they came out (well, the day after). Works just like any iPod, except for the photo thing.

I do use iTunes to download photos and MC to do music and that has worked amazingly well. (Steve always gets nervous and says you shouldn't use both, but it seems to be okay.)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 01:12:43 am »

Thanks tlongacre most helpful. I can purchase with confidence now!

John.

SteveG

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2005, 09:20:30 am »

(Steve always gets nervous and says you shouldn't use both, but it seems to be okay.)

Its like letting your 3 year old alone in your living room with an open box of crayons. Should be OK, but you don't know for sure   :)

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2005, 11:57:22 am »

Indeed. As long as you don't mind cleaning up, even if that means repainting the walls, it's no problem  ;)

SteveG

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2005, 02:27:39 pm »

Come on, MC has never caused anyone to have to repaint their walls. ;)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2005, 01:35:57 pm »

Any update on this?  My iPOD Photo is on the way and I really don't want to have to install iTunes if I don't have to.  How close are you to providing support?  Like many others here it's mainly album art for music that will make the difference for me.
JLee

TheWiz

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2005, 03:52:30 am »

Me too - now nearly mid March and would love to know how you are getting on or whether the project has been shelved ...

Yours in keen anticipation etc. ...

SteveG

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 12:16:32 pm »

Project is not shelved as in not going to happen. It is moving up the list of going to happen.

Steve

ludwigl

• Recent member
  • Lost... But having a great time!
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2005, 10:12:26 pm »

Just a BTTT

I have had to move back to iTunes (I hate it!) because I want Album Art to function. Any plan to incorp this feature into MC11 soon?

Thanks for all the hard work!

lOth

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2005, 02:39:53 pm »

I have had to move back to iTunes (I hate it!) because I want Album Art to function.

that's funny: the contrary recently happened to me. I was so tired of iTunes that I decided I could do without Album Art :)

That being said, everybody agrees that what we want to see in the near future is genuine iPod Photo support in MC. That way, we could all use MC, all se our album art and photos, and everybody's happy.

TheWiz

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2005, 05:28:14 am »

Any new scheduled time for completion (or initiation) of proper iPod Photo support ?   I know I've asked this before (and never got any J River feedback) but would it help, or even be possible, if there was some sort of subsription raised to fund the work ?  I for one would be very happy to contribute $10 - $15 if there was a chance of getting Media Center to work properly with the iPod Photo ......

ludwigl

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2005, 01:00:01 pm »

that's funny: the contrary recently happened to me. I was so tired of iTunes that I decided I could do without Album Art :)

I've tried twice now to go back to MC11 (latest .234) but after 2 hours of sync the data is there but nothing plays. The playlist loads, first song loads, displays for a few seconds and then the next song is displayed. This continues over and over. I've tried a few times to get this resolved and it never seems to workout.

Note: I have no such problem with my 4th gen 20GB just my 60GB photo. ?

lOth

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2005, 01:38:47 pm »

have you tried re-initializing this photo iPod from within MC before transfering? (connect the iPod, find it in the 'drives and devices' tree, right click the iPod, initialize)

At this point MC doesn't distinguish between different iPod units and I think there's a small chance it confuses your iPod photo with the 20gb one and starts transfering files to it while it's not been initialized to work with MC yet.

ludwigl

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2005, 02:23:01 pm »

I re-initializing the iPod from within MC before transfering and then when the problem came up I did it again and tried it again. I also used the iPod Updater to re-initializing prior to doing it in MC on the second pass. Same problem... :'(

SteveG

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2005, 02:49:23 pm »

ludwigl,

Start small to save time. Reinitialize your iPod. Sync a playlist of 20 files and see if they play.

Steve

ludwigl

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2005, 03:00:27 pm »

Steve,

I'll have to try this Fri night or Sat day and I'll post a follow-up.

Unless I hear otherwise my plan will be to:

First use the iPod Updater to Reinitialize.

Then Reinitialize in MC11 (after updating to then current build)

Then use a small 20 file playlist to test sync.

If all is well I'll load a few more playlists

If all is still well I'll do a full sync of all 56GB

Thanks!

dons

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2005, 04:27:39 pm »

I have the iPod photo 60 gig, and it now works great with the 240 build.  I have photos on it from iTunes and about 1000 songs so far from MC.  It takes quite a while to transfer the songs, since they need to be converted from my native .ape format.  But, it works well now!  No more skipping long file names.
-Dons
Buffalo Terastation, XP Running under Parallels on a Mac Mini, Roku M1000, Roku R1000, iPod Photo 60gig, MC12, over 18,000 songs in ape format.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2005, 05:04:00 pm »

I have the iPod photo 60 gig, and it now works great with the 240 build.  I have photos on it from iTunes and about 1000 songs so far from MC.  It takes quite a while to transfer the songs, since they need to be converted from my native .ape format.  But, it works well now!  No more skipping long file names.
-Dons
The problem with this build is that it doesn't offer 'skip files of same filetype' in conversion settings which is a big show stopper if you have a mix of filetypes in your library.
JLee

ludwigl

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2005, 08:04:59 pm »

OK... It took a 4 cycles of :

First use the iPod Updater to Reinitialize.

Then Reinitialize in MC11 (after updating to then current build)

Then use a small 20 file playlist to test sync.

until I got the iPod playlist to work and load correctly. I then sent 55 GB of music to the iPod and it worked. So now if MC11 would do Album Art I'd be Fat, Dumb, and Happy (right now I'm just Fat and Dumb)

I did notice that it took a bit longer for MC to load the music files then it took iTunes to load the same data even with iTunes loading Album Art. While I do keep my Album Art in the MP3 file iTunes must put two copies (two resolutions: One for the Now Playing and one fo when you select the view album art option ) in a database. I wonder why MC has slowed down over time? I remember MC being faster than iTunes in the past.

pank2002

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2005, 05:20:00 am »

until I got the iPod playlist to work and load correctly. I then sent 55 GB of music to the iPod and it worked. So now if MC11 would do Album Art I'd be Fat, Dumb, and Happy (right now I'm just Fat and Dumb)

Me too... except I not fat and I don't consider myself dumb. I'm happy most of the time too, but I would be even more happy if  the Photo was to be fully supported by MC. I'll be having my new iPod in a week or two, is there any hope? Pretty please, Steve.

Also, I've noticed the same thing about MC-transfer speed (though this is ephPod vs MC. MC used to be faster than ephPod, but it wasn't last time I tried)
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

pank2002

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2005, 09:29:36 am »

Okay, the guys at Red Chair have gotten a limited (free) photo-upload tool together:
http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/photo.php

And, so has MediaChest, a free java program, and according to the site it also supports dynamic smartlists and album cover art:
http://mediachest.sourceforge.net/

I tried neither of them since I'm still waiting for my iPod photo to arrive.

edit: for more info on the latter check the last post in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23472.0
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

TheWiz

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2005, 01:14:36 am »

Have downloaded MediaChest, and will be checking it out.  Thanks for the tip off.

Time for one last whine.  It's such a shame though that no progress has been made with MC functionality with the iPod Photo ....  it would surely be the ideal platform from which to organize media on the device.  I'm loathe to have to learn a whole new routine, but I'm really now doubting J River's committment to come up with the goods ...   

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2005, 05:43:05 am »

For the same reason I'm thinking of giving iTunes a whirl. 

Does anyone know of a way to use MC to manage the tracks you want to upload to iPOD but use iTunes to actually upload them. e.g. If a create some playlists in MC can I export these to iTunes and get iTunes to do the synching?
JLee

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2005, 06:44:03 am »

I used to use MC to manage the music on my 10Gb 2G iPod but that went wrong 2 weeks ago. Last week I bought a brand new 60Gb iPod photo and have been using iTunes and Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 to manage the content on it. At 60Gb, the hard disk capacity of the new iPod is greater than my current music collection which stands at 22Gb and all my photos which stand at 4Gb in their non-iPod optimised form. I have been happily using iTunes to manage the content since I no longer need the sophisticated nested smartlists I created in MC to make the most of my 10Gb iPod. I would miss the cover art and photos on the iPod which is why I'm sticking with iTunes to manage content for the time being.

Obviously I will give MC a try once there is iPod photo support but I don't know if I will change over, especially as I use PE3 to manage my photos and see that as better than MC for that task. I do still use MC to rip CD's.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up