INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Good Book for Daylight Savings Time  (Read 996 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
A Good Book for Daylight Savings Time
« on: October 27, 2002, 03:16:09 pm »

I always have trouble with the transition from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time.  Today was the day in the U.S.  

What has helped is a Really Good Book.  It's called, "Off the Road", written by Carolyn Cassady.  It takes place mostly in the '50's.  Carolyn was sort of married to Neal Cassady who was Jack Kerouac's buddy (along with other interesting characters like William Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg).

Neal was Moriarity in the book Kerouac wrote called "On the Road".  The book defined "The Beat Generation", a term that Kerouac was often cited for having invented.

Neal was also one of the Merry Pranksters, the group who rode around with Ken Kesey on an old school bus.  "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe was all about this group.

This book really epitomized the Hip or Hippie generation of the '60's.  California was the place.  I was there.  I inhaled.  Anyone who came of age there and says they didn't is probably kidding.

So Neal ties the Beat Generation and the Hippies together.  Carolyn wrote about her life with him and her encounters with the others.  It's a great story, well told.  It ties together a lot of pieces.

So it's an hour past dinner time now.  The baked potato is ready for the butter and the sour cream.  I bought a DVD with the first season of M.A.S.H. today.  I think I'll go have a look.

zevele10

Re: A Good Book for Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 03:34:27 pm »

Neal Cassady  was a REAL GONZO.

I was not there but the mix beat ,acid rock,ultra left position,free-jazz we had in France made the way i think,beheave up to this day.
I cannot use inhale at the past tense....
Acid yes i can say i did and i do not anymore since very long
Quite a lot.Well for people living in France i mean .
When i spent allmost 2 weeks with the Grateful Dead during they 72 tour,i saw  what was quite a lot

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: A Good Book for Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 03:45:24 pm »

>> I was there.  I inhaled.  Anyone who
>> came of age there and says they didn't
>> is probably kidding.
hehe, so true and some times more.

Peace, Love And Rock And Roll

'Runaway' Charted At 01 In 1961

Listening to: 'Runaway' from 'The Best Of Del Shannon' by 'Del Shannon' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up