INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advantage of using Media/Library Server  (Read 1228 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Advantage of using Media/Library Server
« on: January 01, 2005, 09:33:51 am »

What is the advantage of using the media server (I like my MC10 ;)) vs. importing the files from a fileserver directly?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Advantage of using Media/Library Server
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 12:05:22 pm »

No corruption of the DB when the DB files are accessed by two machines at once.
The same is true for the tags in the content files.

j

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 02:00:53 pm »

As much as I liked the idea of the media server, I have stopped using it again because the performance was much slower than "importing" the files from a file server. Also, I started getting problems with cover art which I didn't have before. I'll give library server a try when MC 11 alpha turns to beta to see if these problems have been solved.

The thing is that people who prefer silence over a 3000Mhz actively cooled system often have problems that are not visible when you are only working with fast machines. I use my fast machines for decoding and ripping, but prefer an EPIA 600Mhz computer (no noise) when playing back in the living room.

Having said that, MC is by far the best tool out these in the market. Things like smartlists and the allround compatibility with NetRemote and other apps and formats remains outstanding and unique. No other tool comes anywhere near. So, I will not complain but appreciate the support on this forum even if it sometimes means bringing up threads again that haven't provided a solution yet... ;)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 03:04:53 am »

Having said that, MC is by far the best tool out these in the market. Things like smartlists and the allround compatibility with NetRemote and other apps and formats remains outstanding and unique. No other tool comes anywhere near. So, I will not complain but appreciate the support on this forum even if it sometimes means bringing up threads again that haven't provided a solution yet... ;)

Thats the way...keep it up regularly as the JRiver folks have different priorities at each point in time.  It can take a while, patience, expressing it in a way that others understand helps to lobby support with others. Which then gets to a point where they look at it.

I found this effective in getting requests implemented but man oh man ..it can take forever some times.  Every one has thier fav feature of MC that they would like to improve hehe.

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 03:09:11 am »

Every one has thier fav feature of MC that they would like to improve hehe.

I'd settle for bug fixes at the moment... ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up