INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding music to lib..a better way??  (Read 1975 times)

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
adding music to lib..a better way??
« on: January 04, 2005, 01:16:40 pm »

hello everyone..

i have finally gotten my library up to date and the way i want it.  jrmc made this much easier than i could have ever imagined.

i keep my lib on a seperate drive... M. this is the drive in which i have imported my music from.  what i want to do, when adding new music, is to rip to a temp drive c:\new_music.  this is so that i can take the time to make sure it is organized and complete before it gets to my main library.  when i am sure its right, i move it to the M drive.  i then have to run file\library\import.  this is fine, but since the library is rather large, this takes quite a bit of time.  i can point to the new folder, but that list is lengthy and take time to browse for the new files.

i also rip cds to my laptop... and move them to my server at a later point.  this provides the same challanges.

the "update library" dosent seem to find new files... only cleans out old ones.

is there a better way of doing this?? i am starting to add the rest of my collection.... and of course always adding to it..... im hoping there is an easier way to go here. 

thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: adding music to lib..a better way??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 01:18:29 pm »

In Explorer, you can right click on the files to import them into MC.  Would that work?

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 01:49:07 pm »

FWIW - all of my newly ripped/downloaded files go into a temp folder on my main computer. I import them into MC in the temp folder and use MC to get the tags & track numbers in order.

The final step is to use MC's Library Tools / Rename Files From Properties. MC moves them onto the server and makes sure the filenames and folder names are all consistent and pretty to match the tags. MC moves the files and they don't have to be re-imported.

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 02:54:42 pm »

In Explorer, you can right click on the files to import them into MC.  Would that work?

interesting idea... except that right clicking dosent give me an option to import to mc. i guess i should have stated.. im using MC 10.  the latest build.

chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 02:55:54 pm »

You may have to tell MC to allow "shell integration".

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 02:59:11 pm »

FWIW - all of my newly ripped/downloaded files go into a temp folder on my main computer. I import them into MC in the temp folder and use MC to get the tags & track numbers in order.

The final step is to use MC's Library Tools / Rename Files From Properties. MC moves them onto the server and makes sure the filenames and folder names are all consistent and pretty to match the tags. MC moves the files and they don't have to be re-imported.

are you ripping with MC??  

im confused on your finalstep there.  i use rename files from properties to fix spelling issues and such... and applying those changes to the filename.  

what also seems to happen is that MC automatically adds the newly ripped files to the media library (from the temp folder).  then when i move them, the link breaks, i do a library update, it clears the missing files... then i still have to perform the import media the way i described earlier.

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 03:02:09 pm »

shell integration... never knew about that function... thanks.

is that the way you suggest users import new media into an exisiting library??

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 03:04:04 pm »

shell integration is/was enabled.

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 03:07:36 pm »

shell integration is/was enabled.

shell integration works.. thanks.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 03:18:11 pm »

All new stuff gets put on a To-Listen partition. Once i do that, it gets rated, tags corrected. I drag and drop it to its final destination. And then i select the folder in the tree and import it. I get thorugh maybe a a cpl albums or more time permitting in a day.

Stuff that was already there before the MC days, got imported by selecting and then importing the highest level folder i could find. Then the long rating process began.

I classify my music in terms of genre, then artist and if the artist has more than 3 albums, gets its own folder. This organisation is done in explorer, but its easy to use the tree in MC to achieve it.

Mc for me is just an efficient tool to display my collection in terms of tags, and viewschemes, smartlists to streamline this.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 03:36:56 pm »

This is also my way, except that I use local hard drives on my main MC computer. The last time I did a global import was over two years ago (with MJ8) and the library is always in a perfect shape.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 04:19:04 pm »

are you ripping with MC??  

im confused on your finalstep there.  i use rename files from properties to fix spelling issues and such... and applying those changes to the filename.  

what also seems to happen is that MC automatically adds the newly ripped files to the media library (from the temp folder).  then when i move them, the link breaks, i do a library update, it clears the missing files... then i still have to perform the import media the way i described earlier.

The secret is to never touch the files outside of MC. MC will move the files to their final destination.

When you use "Rename Files from Properties" you can designate a "base path" and MC will move the files there as part of the file renaming. My "base path" is P:\Music, with a rule to create sub-folders based on Artist\Album. MC moves the files there and creates the subfolders automagically.

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 05:09:59 pm »

ahhh i didnt realize that the rename would do that with the base path.  both that and the right click to import are good options.  im glad that once everything is in the mc library, the tool i use to intergrate MC with meedio will do an automatic update.

thanks for your advise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up