INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logitech Media Keys with SetPoint - My Fix  (Read 42577 times)

unrealreality

Logitech Media Keys with SetPoint - My Fix
« on: January 07, 2005, 10:17:32 pm »

I've owned Media Center for 6 months or so, and I'm loving it. It's the one thing I use to manage my entire library and sync to iPod. Thanks guys! I've been frequenting the boards, but i'm not really one to post much. But I had to post this as it seems that there are a few logitech owners that have the same issue as me!

I used to have a MS keyboard that had media keys and they worked with everything but media center. I dismissed it as an old keyboard. But I recently bought the Logitech LX700 keyboard/mouse combo. I love this thing! It actually has media keys I can use...except the Next/Prev/Play/Stop. Like many of you, I too had the problem of the next button "sticking" and jumping too many songs, and the play/stop not working properly. Needless to say, I've been quite ticked about that. I read that if you turn off/uninstall SetPoint it works perfectly but that stinks because then you can't use any of the media keys which I have all custom programmed for my tastes. Which got me thinking.

Why not just hack the config files?

If you look in C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\Devices\Keyboard there are 10 folders, the first 7 are the keyboard config files for logitech's supported line. I'm going to use my LX700 Keyboard as an example because that's the one I own and know works. for the LX700, the folder is "200002D" in there there is an xml file called "200002D.xml" open that and you'll see definitions for all the keys on the board. Search for this:
===================================================
<!-- Button Name => STOP  -->
<Button Number="786615" Name="Stop">
<Trigger Class="ButtonPress">
<PARAM Button="786615" />
<TriggerState Name="ButtonDownUp"       HandlerSet="MM STOP"  HandlerSetGroup="Keyboard"  />
</Trigger>
</Button>

<!-- Button Name => PLAY  -->
<Button Number="786637" Name="Play">
<PARAM Button="786637" />
<TriggerState Name="ButtonDownUp"       HandlerSet="MM PLAY"  HandlerSetGroup="Keyboard"  />
</Trigger>
</Button>

<!-- Button Name => NEXT TRACK  -->
<Button Number="786613" Name="Next Track">
<PARAM Button="786613" />
<TriggerState Name="ButtonDownUp"       HandlerSet="MM NEXT"  HandlerSetGroup="Keyboard"  />
</Trigger>
</Button>

<!-- Button Name => PREVIOUS TRACK -->
<Button Number="786614" Name="Previous Track">
<PARAM Button="786614"  />
<TriggerState Name="ButtonDownUp"       HandlerSet="MM PREVIOUS"  HandlerSetGroup="Keyboard"  />
</Trigger>
</Button>
===================================================
Always make a backup copy of the files before editing. What I did was shut down SetPoint, delete that whole section, and restart SetPoint. Logitech configures the keyboard except for those buttons. So all my programmed buttons still work, and the next/prev/play/stop work as if SetPoint was not running. Now, there is no OSD that says "Next Track" "Play" etc. but that's a small price to pay. All the other buttons show their OSD. I tried to just edit certain pieces of the xml code above to maybe enable the OSD, but i couldn't get it to work. If anyone else can, please let us all know!  :)

I have found that the buttons no longer work with winamp, but they still work with windows media player. I haven't really tried any other programs because i only use these keys for Media Center. I also didn't go into the other keyboard xml files because i don't own them, but that same code is in all of them, so just find which file is for your keyboard and edit that one (you can see by opening the xml file. the keyboard is labeled at the top). Like I said it works for me, and I am finally a happy camper with the keyboard. Let me know if any of you get it to work to or have any problems/better solutions! I hope I helped at least one person on the board, and, to the team at JRiver, thanks alot for a great program! I can't wait for v.11. I haven't gotten the courage to try out the beta yet.

Eric

JONCAT

Re: Logitech Media Keys with SetPoint - My Fix
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 07:50:02 am »

thanks bro.....tight fix!

JC

ConTrail

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 08:15:33 am »

unrealreality.. You are a genious! I tried this with my diNovo (id 2000027), and it worked instantly.

And, i also found the xml files for the lcd display on the mediapad.. What to do now.. :)

labambo

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 07:17:57 am »

Hey unrealreality.... YOU ARE DEFINATELY THE HERO OF MY DAY!!!!!!!!!!

I have the di Novo and it finally works!!!!!

You are the best!!!!

D.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 08:40:17 am »

Thanks, Unreality.  I've added this to the FAQ.

Please let Logitech know that you'd like support out of the box for MC.

unrealreality

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 11:54:36 pm »

hey guys! sorry i didn't reply sooner. I saw the topic drop down the pages and then i slowly forgot about it. It's good to know people have gotten use out of it. It stinks that Logitech doesn't officially support it, but hey, whatever works.
Contrail - let us know what comes out of the mediapad. I personally don't own one (i'm enjoying the LX700 too much) but i've always wanted to get it.

As for hoping logitech will support it, geez I wish. I love their products, but unfortunately it seems they've gotten a bit too big like all corporations. My pair of 560 speakers sound awesome, but there was static in the left speaker when i rotated the dial. Logitech wouldn't give me a new control pod as it was out of warranty blah blah..so I had to pop it open and clean it myself. *sigh*. sorry for going on a tangent.

Anway, glad I helped! can't wait for the new version of MC!

Speedwagon

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 01:29:05 pm »

I too have the LX700, but I don't have Setpoint.  I have iTouch, which has the same reaction with the "sticking" buttons.  But what is the difference between Setpoint and iTouch?  And my keys work fine if iTouch isn't running.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 10:39:15 pm »

Thank you Unreality for this workaround.  I just purchased this keyboard and am pretty happy with it so far - especially since finding your "hack".

Speedwagon, I don't know anything about iTouch, but I believe SetPoint replaced it at some point.  You can download it (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US/EN,CRID=1796,contentid=9696 ) if you don't mind switching over.  A quick google search revealed at least one complaint about SetPoint, but I must say, never having used iTouch, that SetPoint seems fine to me.

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 05:48:55 pm »

An idea about what to edit to allow web page shortcuts to use Firefox?

JC

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 08:09:03 pm »

Outstanding.  I just picked up an LX700 myself and was disappointed to find that the media keys didn't work.  It'd be nice if we could tie the 'Burn CD'. et. al., buttons directly to MC features too.

By the way, I picked up the MX1000 mouse and it's fantastic as well.
Toast goes in the toaster.

HaxHax

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 04:26:07 am »

I have the same problem ( very simular)
Media hotkeys work only if  MP is focused/active. I did what you said above.

No changes. From now have no indicators on screen. WMP works fine. BUT MP doesn't work( it works great, exept hotkeys)!!!
May be there is possiblity to set up MP for shortcuts, and when set them in the setpoint software as  "keystroke assignments"?

Any ideas?

Anyway, there are many logitech addicted people here, why it is impossible to fix this problem in MP? all other players work fine with logitech keyboards.
p.s. i am using  logitech MX 3000   + mp 11.1.121 trial. would like to buy this software, but not when my media keys do not work.

JONCAT

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 11:49:52 am »

"I have the same problem ( very simular)
Media hotkeys work only if  MP is focused/active. I did what you said above."

I decided to try and get my MediaPlay mouse from Log. to change volume but it causes so very strange lockup on my system, and in the process I also realized that movies don't run through the MC engine so it is moot....anyway I totally fragged my Setpoint w/ Uber tools setup and re-installed with the newest 2.47 for x64.

MEDIA BUTTONS WOULD ONLY WORK IF MC IN FOCUS.

I re-installed 2.40 and everything works okay. Try to find an older setpoint or email Logitech about the issue. I'll do the same.

Dr. C

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 11:56:45 am »

MX3000 keyboard here too, using this hack, plus the stuff mentioned in my thread over in 'other hardware' and MC's media key handling set on auto, everything works perfectly (accepting that there's no OSD when using the play/pause/stop buttons)

I'm using Setpoint control center 2.4.855 and driver version 2.4.855.0

I don't understand why it's not working for you.
Possibilities:
Setpoint was running while you made the edits? (right click sys tray icon > exit)
Different setpoint/driver versions?
Something on your system, but not on mine, that's interfering with the media mode buttons?

HaxHax

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 12:34:41 pm »

I'm using Setpoint control center 2.4.855 and driver version 2.4.855.0

I don't understand why it's not working for you.
Possibilities:
Setpoint was running while you made the edits? (right click sys tray icon > exit)
Different setpoint/driver versions?
Something on your system, but not on mine, that's interfering with the media mode buttons?
1. -> i did it in the right way. ( even if setpoint was running while i did it, i restarted set point, and checked file for changes. but there is no "even". i did exactly what you said above.
3. -> no. I thought that it is the reason for missing media keys, but ,after my hdd crash, first two programs after drivers that i installed on my pc was setpoint + MP.
2. -> probably this is the reason. I am going to contact Logitech, as Doctor Cilantro  said, and rall back to 2.4. version of set point. 

Results will be here soon. It's may be useful for many logitech users..

HaxHax

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 01:05:15 pm »

Have uninstalled setpoint 2.47.

Installed previous version, delete  STOP/PLAY.. entries from xml.
For now, i lost OSD for this butttons, but didn't get nothing.
Buttons don't work when aplication not in focus.

Setpoint control center 2.4.855
 driver 2.4.855.00

I am very sad :(

Anyway, thanks for your answers.

vaso65

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 04:21:33 am »

setpoint 2.47
mc 11.1.161

I Have removed start/stop/next/prev button section from all xml files in keyboard subfolder.

That work without OSD

Bye

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 04:59:39 am »

hi

i use a logitech cordless bluetooth keyboard, and have not installed setpoint because at the moment i have little need for it.  the media keys all work when MC is in focus, but the volume dial and mute button don't work when MC is not in focus (other buttons do).  does anyone know how i can get all buttons to work when MC is not in focus?

thanks

nick

Psycho

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 04:43:15 am »

Unbelievable! 10 yrs later and this is still very much helpful! :o

The only difference with the newest SetPoint version is that now the relevant folders are in
C:\ProgramData\LogiShrd\SetPointP\Devices\Keyboard
There are a lot of folders in there for different products but it's easy to find which one applies to you since it will be the only one that includes .png files as well as the xml document. Everything else remains the same.

Cmely

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 04:48:34 am »

Same here : thanks a lot for the tip !  :D :D :D
I've just used it on a Win10 + MC22 + Logitech MX3000 configuration and it's working fine.

Heptite

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 09:31:05 pm »

I've used this forum thread to "fix" my media buttons every time Logitech's SetPoint software updates, and the method to fix it has changed enough by 2018 that I thought I'd post an update.

First, the file is now in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Logitech\SetPoint\ and is called user.xml.

As always, back up this file first!  Then exit the SetPoint software before modifying the file.

Next, it won't work to remove the sections any more, you have to change their HandlerSet values from MM WHATEVER to GenericButton.

I just searched for HandlerSet="MM and changed the values as described above.  For example:

<Button Number="786613" Name="Button">
               <Param IconLoc="" Type=""/>
                  <Param Button="786613" EventType="33554432" FirstRepeatDelay="0" RepeatDelay="0" Silent="0" Type="0"/>
                  <TriggerState Name="ButtonDownUp" HandlerSet="MM NEXT_FF">
                     <Handler Class="MMPlayer2">
                        <Param Action="NEXT" LongPressTime="600" OSDImage="next.png" OSDText="Next"/>
                     </Handler>
                  </TriggerState>
               </Trigger>
            </Button>

Becomes:

<Button Number="786613" Name="Button">
               <Param IconLoc="" Type=""/>
                  <Param Button="786613" EventType="33554432" FirstRepeatDelay="0" RepeatDelay="0" Silent="0" Type="0"/>
                  <TriggerState Name="ButtonDownUp" HandlerSet="GenericButton">
                     <Handler Class="MMPlayer2">
                        <Param Action="NEXT" LongPressTime="600" OSDImage="next.png" OSDText="Next"/>
                     </Handler>
                  </TriggerState>
               </Trigger>
            </Button>

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 06:46:32 am »

Thanks for posting that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up