INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regarding,  REPLAY GAIN (VOLUME LEVELING)  (Read 923 times)

ARLIS1962

• nothing more to say...
Regarding,  REPLAY GAIN (VOLUME LEVELING)
« on: October 24, 2002, 12:01:49 am »

Hi,   I want to put a list of  Mp3's songs together and burn it onto a blank cd-r at Cd Quality Sound, there are few songs in the list that are louder than others.  So my question is.  So if I use  Replay Gain Volume Leveling  to correct it. Does the sound Quality drop, I just want all my mp3's songs to be at the same volume & without degrading the sound quality when I play it back on my Cd player. I just want Perfect Volume Leveling at Cd Quality Sound.  My other question, Can I adjust the Replay Gain Volume Leveling for each mp3 song my self manually?  Please Respond Back   THANK YOU,  

ubu

• Recent member
  • Arf?
Re: Regarding,  REPLAY GAIN (VOLUME LEVELING)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2002, 02:28:09 am »

My understanding is that MJ replay gain analysis affects only playback of analyzed files, not burning, since analyzed files aren't modified by MJ. To achieve what you want, you could try using a program like MP3Gain to analyze and modify (without quality loss) your mp3 files before burning them to cd.

http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Regarding,  REPLAY GAIN (VOLUME LEVELING)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 09:56:33 am »

Yes, Replay Gain analyzation in MJ only affects playback of the files.  This is because the analyzation info is saved in a tag rather than used to physically alter the file.  The volume is then leveled "on-the-fly" during playback when Replay Gain is enabled in the DSP Studio.    

You can setup a playlist of analyzed tracks and play them back using the diskwriter plug-in with Replay Gain enabled in the DSP Studio.  You shoud end up with new wav files that are volume leveled.  Then use those new wavs to burn.

Be aware that after using Replay Gain, volume levels will generally be lower than the original file.  Because most music is already near or over the maximum level before clipping occurs, Replay Gain achieves volume leveling by lowering to a target level.  MJ uses 83dB as the target.  MP3gain uses 89dB.

I believe also that the MP3gain utility will let you manually adjust the gain if you want.  Also, if you use MP3gain, the files are physically changed, so make sure you have backups of the files in case you don't like the results.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up