INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 users, 1 MC DB/library  (Read 1130 times)

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
2 users, 1 MC DB/library
« on: February 01, 2005, 04:33:02 am »

I have win2000 and MC11 (81) multiple local user accounts.  Everyone has MC installed and the path to MC library has been set to the same path/folder for all. For some strange reason it doesn't seem to work quite right: Changes I make in the library (for example Genre) aren't visible when second user logs in and uses MC. She sees the files, but the genre is the old one that I already changed once...

Any clues ?
Money... no, chocolate makes the world go round. Even here in Finland.

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 2 users, 1 MC DB/library
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:10:36 am »

Everyone has MC installed and the path to MC library has been set to the same path/folder for all.
This won't work. MC doesn't handle sharing a single db across multiple users like this very well. The application's designed such that every user should have their own library. If you need to share the library, you'll need to use Library Server.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 02:38:57 pm »

Actually it does work. The problem was that for some reason, some recent version of MC 11 had changed my library folder under c:\documents and settings\... (w2k). Got it fixed like this:

1. Backed up library (with my profile which seemed to work fine)
2. Used librarymanager to point and load library from shared library folder (after which I got totally old info in library, as the others already did)
3. Restored the backed up library

Now we all use same library in same folder and it is up to date fo all of us. This is how it was before, I just missed the change of library folder at some point. Let's hope it doesn't happen again...

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 06:36:31 pm »

Ok, I didn't mean it won't work I just meant that MC is not designed for it to be used this way. I stopped sharing a single library amoung users because it eventually corrupted my database. Also, if both users have MC running and both make changes to the same db, the last one to close MC is the one who retains their changes. Very dangerous. As long as you're aware of this you can sort of manage it I guess but be warned  :)
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 04:21:55 am »

We only have one computer, so there is not any possibility that we are both logged in at the same time :-)

But thanks for the heads up. This might not be the case very long...
Pages: [1]   Go Up