INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod transfer bug(?) and wishlist  (Read 1542 times)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
iPod transfer bug(?) and wishlist
« on: March 26, 2005, 06:58:32 am »

Not sure if this is a bug, but when you edit a lot of files in your library, synchronizing the iPod is sometime impossible: MC says that there would be a negative space left after transfer. I've recently retagged many files to give them their proper genre and when I wanted to resync the iPod, MC said that there would be -7.6Gb left after transfer. I have 500Mb of free space on that iPod so I assume that what's going on is that I retagged about 8Gb of files and MC doesn't take into account the fact that these files will be deleted from the player before being transfered again with their new tags. (note: using MC 11.0.223)

Wishlist:

_ a common request, but it doesn't hurt to ask again: full support for the iPod photo (transfer of pictures and album art)

_ I know these two should appear sometime soon: full support for multiple iPods (that is the ability to save separate settings for each device) and a fix for the 31+ char filename issue.

_ in the "auto-sync only these playlists" menu, it would be great if you could check a playlist group to select all the playlists/smarlists underneath.

_ auto-sync specific playlists when the device is plugged-in (right now there's only an option to auto-sync the entire library when the iPod is plugged in)

_ auto-eject the iPod after syncing. Actually, what I'd like to achieve with MC is the same as what you can do with iTunes: you plug-in your iPod, iTunes start automatically, synchronize the files, and eject the iPod. A nice option in iTunes too is that once the iPod is ejected it still appears in the navigation tree and you can always right-click it and update the songs: the iPod is re-mounted automatically and ejected again after sync.

_ one-click "synchronize iPod" and "eject iPod" toolbar buttons would be really nice

Not sure if all of this is doable but I figured it was worth asking.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
Re: iPod transfer bug(?) and wishlist
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 11:55:24 am »

I support that wishlist !

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 09:10:11 am »

I am having the same problem with the -7.6gb and I should have about 11 gb free.  MC then attempts to delete so I have to manually disconnect so it does not.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 04:44:54 pm »

If you retag your files and reattempt a sync to your iPod and you do not have 'Delete unselected files' checked, MC will attempt to resend all your files  with new tag info in addition to the files that are already on iPod. MC decides what to send by comparing the Artist, Album, Genre, Name and Track Number tags between what is on iPod and what you are about to send. Unless you select 'Delete Unselected files' MC treats retagged files as different files and will resend them without deleting the same files (except for the tag changes) from iPod.

Steve

lOth

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 05:00:31 pm »

mmm.... I have that option checked. I can't be 100% sure, but I think it was already checked before I retagged all these files. I'm not done retagging though, so I'll let you know what happens next time I retag more files than I have free space on the iPod.

lOth

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 01:25:34 pm »

Addition to the wishlist: while I'm not a hardcore iPod fan-boy, it would be nice if you could change this icon:

lOth

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 07:37:39 am »

I'll bump this one, just to say how happy I am to see that quite a few items on this wishlist can already be crossed. Many thanks to Steve for his hard work.

Now, I think we must be getting close to the final list of iPod features that will make it into MC 11. If iPod management is going to be, as I believe it is, one of the strong points of 11, I think that MC should offer features iTunes lacks (and it's now definitely the case with for instance a much better support for multiple iPods than iTunes'), but also, and I guess this is very important if you plan on converting iTunes users to MC, have all the features, transparency and simplicity that iTunes has.

In that respect, there still are two important features lacking in MC.

1) full iPod photo support, but I realize this one is complex to implement and might only appear in MC12.

2) auto-mount and auto-eject. This is still one of the great assets of iTunes for people who are looking for simplicity. I think quite a few people just want to plug-in their iPod, forget about it, and take the player back, already synchronized, a couple minutes later.
From what I can see with the latest betas, it seems to me that it would be quite possible to have MC just do this. MC can already auto-eject the iPod when closing the program and I guess it would be possible to have it auto-eject after a sync. I guess it should also be possible to have MC start-up when you plug-in your iPod: I've seen a few programs besides iTunes that can do just that (anapod, realplayer, etc.). Still in the same area, iTunes has the ability to mount the iPod with just a couple click in the navigation tree and I can see two ways MC could do this. The first option is very similar to iTunes: you'd have to go in the navigation tree, find your iPod in the 'drives & devices' section, and the right click menu on the iPod could have a 'mount iPod' option. The problem with that solution is that right now, when you eject the iPod the device disappears from the tree. The second option would be through the AW. At the moment, if your iPod is plugged in but ejected, when you click 'handheld player' in the AW you receive this message:

No handheld available

1) Connect your handheld to the computer.
2) Turn your handheld on.
3) Ensure the proper plugin is installed.

Maybe MC could try and mount the iPod before displaying this message?

Sorry for being so long, but I'm trying to not have only wishes but also ideas  ;)

On a side note, about this:
Addition to the wishlist: while I'm not a hardcore iPod fan-boy, it would be nice if you could change this icon:

I've figured since then that you can use your own picture. Just save the picture you want as a .png file, rename it to ViewHeaderHandheld.png and copy it to MC's /data/custom art/ directory.

If any one wants my iPod photo icon:

Pages: [1]   Go Up