INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library lost every time I close MC  (Read 1555 times)

apotropaic

• Recent member
library lost every time I close MC
« on: May 06, 2005, 12:55:59 pm »

Everytime I close MC and then open it up later, I have to reimport my music. This is what has caused me to look for another music organizer. I don't know what to do. And it takes forever to import 4000 songs! Anyone know why this would happen?  I did like media jukebox much better! It did everything quicker? Will my old MJ install work? Was 8 or 9 the last version of MJ? Thank you for your help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: library lost everytime I close MC!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 01:05:47 pm »

Something isn't right, but can you explain in a little more detail?

Why do you think it's empty, for example?

In File/Library/Library Manager, check the location of your library.  Does it exist on the drive?

Copy your system info from MC help and paste it here.

apotropaic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 01:07:02 pm »

Here is my system info:

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- D:\MediaCenter\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2638 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 639 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.70

Ripping /   Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  Drive H: BTC      BCE1610IM          Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

apotropaic

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 01:09:50 pm »

I have been using jriver since before version 8, I think I'd know what it would look like when there is a blank library. Yes the library location exists. I have to reimport my music everytime I open MC from that same location

JimH

• Administrator
Re: library lost every time I close MC
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 01:23:21 pm »

It isn't the program.  So it has to be a read only drive or something like that.  There are lots of odd things that happen with computers.

What is the location of the data?

Did you try a reboot and re-install?

Try clearing your library and re-importing.

apotropaic

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 01:27:26 pm »

I've been a faithful MC user for a while and this has been going on for about 5-6 months, its just a little frustrating.  It happened after an update, or maybe even when I installed 10. Location of data is E: Its a 40GB hard drive I put in.  I have had to reboot numerous time in 5-6 months, and I have to clear and re-import my library everytime I start MC. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 01:33:50 pm »

Things to try.

Uninstall, reboot, reinstall.  Maybe you did that, but you didn't say.

Try to save a txt file in the directory where your library is stored, using notepad, just to be sure the location isn't read only.

Try moving the location of the data to your C drive.

Are you running with enough privileges to write the registry?

If you have another PC, install there just to prove to yourself that it isn't MC.

Other possibilities.  Virus, virus checker, some other broken program that affects disk access.

apotropaic

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 01:42:05 pm »

Ok lets see, I have reinstalled it before like you have said. I hadn't tried the saving a txt file to that drive. But it worked when I did. And also I rip CDs to this drive all the time. So I guess thats the same difference? But what I think is a good idea is trying to the data location to another drive. Let me see if that works. I will do that reimport my music and let you know how that turns out. Also, to answer your other two questions, yes I do have registry writing rights. I will also try to use my laptop and use the E: drive on my desktop and see if it is the library file. Thanks. I will report back.

apotropaic

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 01:46:24 pm »

Ok so, moving the library to another drive and reimporting my music worked. I closed MC and reopened it and my file were there! YAY. Thanks for your help Jim. Again, sorry about the attitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up