Yes
- 41 (82%)
No
- 5 (10%)
Not Sure
- 4 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you use this skin? UPDATE 2  (Read 10252 times)

UnknownID

Would you use this skin? UPDATE 2
« on: May 09, 2005, 11:38:16 am »

I have been a big fan of the "Blade" skin for a while, so I wanted to start off by giving credit to my inspiration. Additionally, I use WinAmp5 for my streaming audio and I really enjoy its compressed look.

This skin, Paradigm (pérrә ‘dīm), is something I have been working on for a long time (about 3 months off and on). And though I am not finished yet, I wanted to know how desirable this would be to other MC users.

I originally wasn’t going to release this at all (just hold on to it for my own use), but a friend of mine said that I should... or at lest setup a poll and find out. So, that is what I am doing.

Features:
  • Compressed View (shown) and Expanded/Detailed View (not shown)
  • Dynamic themes - 2 build in themes (maybe more later): Fire (Red/Black not shown) and Ice (Blue/White shown)
  • 900px x 25px dimensions (I am thinking about adding a feature to have different size widths available for different resolutions)
  • Customizable display in Compressed View (Select ALBUM, ARTIST, NAME, etc. and the order in which they appear)
  • Button essentials; only basic buttons for a simple, clean look

When voting please feel free to comment. I will be happy to answer any questions if I can :)

NOTE: Please view the entire thread before voting since I will be adding updated images as I go.

UnknownID

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Re: Would you use this skin?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 11:45:17 am »

I originally wasn’t going to release this at all (just hold on to it for my own use), but a friend of mine said that I should... or at lest setup a poll and find out. So, that is what I am doing.

I could rather use Windows Media Skin for my own use  ;)
its lovely, good work ;)
Tamer

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 12:51:40 pm »

Looks Good  8)

pank2002

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:54:35 pm »

Blade is my favorit mini skin at the moment.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:26:11 pm »

I like it! Bring it on!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 10:43:24 pm »

Where's the playlist button?

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 07:51:17 am »

I like the looks but it does look bigger than Blade. I use No Frills (with some minor modifications from me) just because I want the smallest possible footprint. I just tried Blade and it's not bad but still long. Yours could be shortened by the horizontal bar to the left of the name. Not sure if that's volume or position. I usually never touch my volume because I use Replay Gain and if I can hit the Pause button if I need to mute. Position doesn't mean anything as long as the time counter is there.
Jeff

UnknownID

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 10:20:10 am »

Thank you for your votes, comments, and questions! I am very happy to see the number of votes for "Yes"; more then I expected. Now that it has been about a day I wanted to respond to a few of the questions :)

Where's the playlist button?
I didn't want one. I think the Standard View interface is so much better. From there I can not only see what is coming up next, but also make changes and interact with library. I only really care about the current track and time especially since I do a lot of web media streaming

I like the looks but it does look bigger than Blade. I use No Frills (with some minor modifications from me) just because I want the smallest possible footprint. I just tried Blade and it's not bad but still long. Yours could be shortened by the horizontal bar to the left of the name. Not sure if that's volume or position. I usually never touch my volume because I use Replay Gain and if I can hit the Pause button if I need to mute. Position doesn't mean anything as long as the time counter is there.
I designed this to be on a 1024x768 secondary monitor (I use a 1600x1200x32 as my primary and 1024x768x32 as my secondary), but I do understand the value of what you use. The slider you are referring to is for volume (probably should indicate that better). I actually never touch the thing, it just tells me how loud the volume is before I start playing something. I have a Logitech media keyboard without the iTouch software installed. When the software was installed the volume wheel on the keyboard showed an OSD when it was being changed, but once I uninstalled the software I lost the OSD (You can read why I removed the software here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27507.0). I liked the OSD so much that I wanted to at least show it on my skin. Same as you, I never use the position slider.

I like what dcwebman had to say about the smallest footprint. I am going to leave this thread open for a while longer for comments, but since there are at least a few people who like it, I think I am going to make this available to everyone. It probably won't visually change too much before I release version 1, but I have started a list of things I want to add, modify, and enhance for future versions (version 2 will have the size changer including a "smallest footprint" option and probably a show/hide feature for the volume slider). I am planning to work on this regularly and provide updated versions.

In the mean time, please continue to comment. Thank you all so much!

UnknownID

PeterS

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 11:35:55 am »

That is a slick looking skin, and I would personally use it. Nice clean lines, and not too small. Looking forward to you sharing it.

PeterS

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 05:31:01 pm »

Looks nice but I had to vote no because you assumed I couldn't pronounce paradigm.   ;)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 12:19:04 pm »

Looks great, one general question though. If this is a skin for playingnow, could it be possible to have rating buttons on it like blade?

Skin looks slick, can't wait to have it on my desktop!!

UnknownID

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 12:47:14 pm »

Looks great, one general question though. If this is a skin for playingnow, could it be possible to have rating buttons on it like blade?

I'm sorry, I do not have any idea what you are talking about. Above is the version of Blade that I have. Also, this is a Mini View skin, not a playing now (track info) template. Rating buttons ? ? ?

UnknownID

EpF

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 01:37:23 pm »

Hi - I voted 'not sure' for a couple of reasons:  1, I don't use mini skins at the moment and I didn't know if you were thinking of releasing a mega skin; 2, design-wise I think the image at the top of the post looks like a pretty slick and accomplished skin, but I don't know if I'd use it simply because I tend to go for skins with a lusher atmosphere - my current favourite to date has been thunderstorm...  But as far as the look you're going for goes, I think it's very elegant.

One suggestion - the play control icons could use a bit more... something.  Articulation, maybe; or more sleek proportions - they're a bit clunky compared to the rest of the skin.

BTW
I'm sorry, I do not have any idea what you are talking about.
S/He's talking about the Playing Now plugin by Rhino Banga (it's not a track info template)

UnknownID

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 01:49:33 pm »

I voted 'not sure' for a couple of reasons:  1, I don't use mini skins...
That's ok. I asked if you would use it, not if you thought it was a good or bad skin ;D
(I think it is a good skin, so that is why I phrased my question that way I did)

1, I don't use mini skins at the moment and I didn't know if you were thinking of releasing a mega skin
Yes, I am; but one thing at a time ;D

2, design-wise I think the image at the top of the post looks like a pretty slick and accomplished skin, but I don't know if I'd use it simply because I tend to go for skins with a lusher atmosphere - my current favourite to date has been thunderstorm... But as far as the look you're going for goes, I think it's very elegant.
Thanks!

One suggestion - the play control icons could use a bit more... something. Articulation, maybe; or more sleek proportions - they're a bit clunky compared to the rest of the skin.
I fully agree. I am just taking a break from these for now. I have been tweaking these endlessly to make them integrate with the skin, but now I have tired eyes and am focusing my attention to other things regarding the skin.

UnknownID

UnknownID

Re: Would you use this skin? UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 01:54:10 pm »

I finally got the theme switcher working ;D ;D ;D

Now, if I can just make it save the current state...

UnknownID

Michael Horton

Re: Would you use this skin? UPDATED
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 02:20:03 pm »

I just looked through all the available mini skins and I think that yours has the nicest look. That said, I voted 'no" because I don't use mini skins.

UnknownID

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 02:34:35 pm »

I just looked through all the available mini skins and I think that yours has the nicest look. That said, I voted 'no" because I don't use mini skins.

hmmm... maybe I should have asked: "If you use mini skins, would you use this skin?". Regardless, your vote is fair ::)

UnknownID

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 03:51:45 pm »

I like the look. A Mega skin with the same look would be great too if that's what you meant.

matshif

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 03:53:25 pm »

I like and will use it. :D

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 06:12:26 pm »

I'm sorry, I do not have any idea what you are talking about. Above is the version of Blade that I have. Also, this is a Mini View skin, not a playing now (track info) template. Rating buttons ? ? ?

UnknownID

That's what I was wondering about, whether it had those rating buttons, because I didn't know whether this skin was for the playingnow plugin or a miniskin for MC itself.  But, I think I got my answer since I figured out this is a miniskin and miniskins don't have rating functions on them. That said, I'm still looking forward to using the skin. Thanks

//PCE
Bobby

LonWar

Re: Would you use this skin? UPDATE
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 08:07:38 pm »

I finally got the theme switcher working ;D ;D ;D

Now, if I can just make it save the current state...

UnknownID

This is coming along very nice.... I love the black one.... Will match the Thunderstorm skin well.
-

matshif

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 01:48:24 pm »

Can we expect any skin??

Much work to do??
I'm wating......

UnknownID

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 02:33:32 pm »

Can we expect any skin??

Much work to do??
I'm wating......

I still want to include a number of things that aren’t working yet. I may have to drop a few features for the first release.

Though I am a web site designer and have had a lot of experience with JavaScript, I am having some difficulties using the development documentation and understanding how MC's JavaScript works. You can see some of the issues I am working on as other topics on this board.

I will be posting another screen shot in the next few days.

When will I release the skin? Soon, I hope :)

UnknownID

Pink Waters

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 02:46:44 pm »

You don't have to rush, take your time!
Tamer

UnknownID

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 05:47:01 pm »

Can anybody tell me the default Standard View skins that come with MC?

UnknownID

Pink Waters

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 05:48:50 pm »

Can anybody tell me the default Standard View skins that come with MC?

UnknownID

Pixos
Z
Green Eyes
Blue Steel
Aruba
Tamer

UnknownID

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 06:01:43 pm »

Pixos
Z
Green Eyes
Blue Steel
Aruba

Thanks! Is Thunderstorm not a default skin anymore?

UnknownID

Pink Waters

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2005, 06:21:02 pm »

iam not sure!
Tamer

LonWar

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2005, 08:14:50 pm »

Yes it is... It is the MC10 skin
-

UnknownID

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2005, 08:35:50 pm »

Yes it is... It is the MC10 skin

Is it in the install for MC11 as well?

UnknownID

jgreen

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 11:11:42 pm »

Chiefter--
A lot of us are waiting on your skin, dude!  With MC11 I go Aruba/Negative, and your latest rev looks to be shaping up quite nice.  Question:  if I hover the cursor over the current track field, will I get the drop down list of all the tracks in the playlist?  Could be crucial.  I would use this skin "always on top", float it at the bottom edge, and use the "hover over" function to scroll through the list.  Make it so!

bebop

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 12:42:10 am »

Love this and will use it..when you get it finished! 

LonWar

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 11:45:10 am »

Is it in the install for MC11 as well?

UnknownID

Yes... The only MC/JRiver skin that is not in the install is BZero.
-

UnknownID

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 04:07:30 pm »

Chiefter--
A lot of us are waiting on your skin, dude!  With MC11 I go Aruba/Negative, and your latest rev looks to be shaping up quite nice.  Question:  if I hover the cursor over the current track field, will I get the drop down list of all the tracks in the playlist?  Could be crucial.  I would use this skin "always on top", float it at the bottom edge, and use the "hover over" function to scroll through the list.  Make it so!

I appreciate your excitement, but I have to use the JRiver policy for calling something finished:
It will be done when it is done

I am working on this as much as I can; I have a real PAYING job too ya know ;)

Anyway, I was not intending on doing a hover over function to see a playlist, but if you could show me a skin (I would need to download the actual Mini View skin to review the code) that uses this feature you desire I will try to implement it in Paradigm (if it is not too complex).

UnknownID

UnknownID

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2005, 12:58:19 pm »

I will be posting another screen shot in the next few days.

Sorry, I don't have anything new to post. I have been really busy with other stuff in preparation for a trip next week; I will be away from my computer all next week, so don't expect anything new for a while :)

I appreciate everyone's feed back and patients on this!

UnknownID

matshif

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2005, 01:17:48 pm »

Have a nice trip.

We can wait. I think it will be nice when it's finished.

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2005, 08:00:43 pm »

Very slick.

I can imagine a mega version might not work as well, since the shape is so much part of its character.

Tab

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2005, 02:04:03 pm »

Close to a month since the last news. Anything coming soon? :)

UnknownID

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2005, 11:10:51 am »

Close to a month since the last news. Anything coming soon? :)

Yes actually :)
I finally generated some new business last week, so I can continue working on Paradigm in my free time.

UnknownID

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2005, 02:07:44 pm »

Very nice! I will be waiting.

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2005, 02:51:18 pm »

Hi,
We're ALL waiting! :P
geoptin

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2005, 09:08:59 pm »

Chiefter--

I agree that the "hover over" function would be great.  That would clinch it for becoming my preferred mini-skin.  Have you figured out a way to incorporate it?  Samples look nice.   

UnknownID

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2005, 10:54:28 am »

Chiefter--
A lot of us are waiting on your skin, dude! With MC11 I go Aruba/Negative, and your latest rev looks to be shaping up quite nice. Question: if I hover the cursor over the current track field, will I get the drop down list of all the tracks in the playlist? Could be crucial. I would use this skin "always on top", float it at the bottom edge, and use the "hover over" function to scroll through the list. Make it so!

I agree that the "hover over" function would be great.  That would clinch it for becoming my preferred mini-skin.  Have you figured out a way to incorporate it?  Samples look nice.   

I don't think that the exact feature is possible in a Mini Skin (i.e. hover over), but since I have been unable to get the cover art to show up the way I want, the "enhanced mode" where I show more info about a particular track has changed so that the next few tracks in a playlist can be viewed. It will be toggled by a button (the small one to the right of the blue display area; the larger one is for options).

I am sill very busy with other stuff, but I am trying to get at least an "in process" screen shot up showing some features by the end of the week ::) ;D ;D

UnknownID

dcwebman

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2005, 12:55:37 pm »

FWIW, the No Frills mini skin has a nice P button that when clicked shows the entire playlist in a scrollable box with the ability to change to another song. That would be more functional than a hover playlist.
Jeff
Jeff

UnknownID

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2005, 03:42:11 pm »

FWIW, the No Frills mini skin has a nice P button that when clicked shows the entire playlist in a scrollable box with the ability to change to another song. That would be more functional than a hover playlist.
Jeff

Thanks for the tip. I will check that out :)

I am just about done with the next part. I will have some new screens to show within an hour or two ;D

UnknownID

UnknownID

Re: Would you use this skin? UPDATE 2
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2005, 04:58:54 pm »

NEW FEATURE: CUSTOMIZABLE WINDOW POSITION

Ok, here are the latest screens ;D
This is the first look at the "options" window. I am putting all customizable options here sans Themes. The screens below show the first option I have finished. The functionality is there, just not the final design ;)

This is the almost final look of the main body of Paradigm.

You can have windows show above the skin for those of you who want MC low.

You can have windows show above the skin for those of you who want MC high.

This feature applies to all windows that show: Options Window, Theme Switcher, + Playlist Display.
...and yes, all the features in the options section will work with the Fire Theme ;D ;D ;D

Thank you all for being patient with me :)

UnknownID

LonWar

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2005, 05:15:16 pm »

Lookin mighty nice!!
-

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2005, 07:12:19 pm »

I hate Skins, but your "Slim-Line" (I Like That Name) Skin Looks Really Good.

And If I Could Just Have Basic Controls, Along With Docking, Would Be Really Cool (I would Dock It On The Top Of My Screen)

Hover Over "N" For Notes, "L" For Lyrics Etc.... Would Show The Data

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bebop

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2005, 12:24:13 pm »

Looking most excellent!  Can't wait for the release! ;D

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2005, 01:07:06 pm »

Looks great! I'll use it as soon as it's available.

Like how you created the high/low option.  I'll probably use it low, with a playlist showing above.  I'm not sure I understand what will be displayed in the options window.  Personally I would like to see the playlist on the right side, but not as wide as the whole options window is now.  The square gray area from "Display" to "About" would seem to be a good size for the playlist display.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up