INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yahoo Music Service  (Read 5907 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Yahoo Music Service
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:14:40 am »

PeterS

Re: Yahoo Music Service
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 04:10:25 pm »

The pricing will certainly shake up the industry.

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 05:08:31 pm »

I've been checking out the beta of this and so far I like it.  (I've been doing the trial of Rhapsody at the same time).

I like that Yahoo has a plugin architecture that allows for a certain amount of user input and customization.  There's a great plugin to subscribe to podcasts and spider MP3s from websites (which is great 'cause I download from a lot of old vinyl sites--http://www.weirdomusic.com/downloads.htm)  I also like the ease with which you can rate artists/albums/songs.

The software seems a bit slow and there doesn't seem to be as great a variety of albums as Rhapsody (but they are in beta, so...).  I do, however, like the pricing.  $5 a month is pretty awesome.

I was curious as to whether these services might be some day available within MC like CDBaby and AudioLunchbox.  If so, then this would be SWEET!!!!  The less applications I have to use, the better.

Brad

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:34:49 am »

I haven't done any of these monthly payment plans, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't this $5 a month just give you the ability to buy the songs for 79 cents each instead of 99 cents? That would mean I would need to buy 26 songs before I paid for the monthly fee. I'm probably missing something here though and if so, please inform me, as I'd like to take advantage of getting more songs.
Jeff

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 09:03:39 am »

I haven't done any of these monthly payment plans, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't this $5 a month just give you the ability to buy the songs for 79 cents each instead of 99 cents? That would mean I would need to buy 26 songs before I paid for the monthly fee. I'm probably missing something here though and if so, please inform me, as I'd like to take advantage of getting more songs.

The monthly fee lets you listen to albums streaming and/or download them to your computer.  You can also load them onto your (compatible) MP3 player.  As much as you want.  You can continue to listen to downloads as long as you continue to subscribe.  If you want to burn them to a disc or keep them once you stop subscribing, you must pay the 79 cents or whatever per track.

You're basically renting the music.  But the variety is pretty excellent and the ability to load an MP3 player and take the music away from your computer is pretty sweet.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 12:28:20 pm »

Thanks for the info. What format do the songs download in? If you can take them away in an MP3 player, what's to stop someone from burning them elsewhere?
Jeff

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 12:55:09 pm »

They are all in Windows Media format (192kbps).  It's a secure format and your license info is encoded on your computer.  If you move it to another machine the track won't play.

Here's the help and FAQs if you have more questions:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/music/unlimited/

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 01:44:54 pm »

I am really sad, this service and the others are in USA only. i cant test any :(
Tamer

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 02:15:23 pm »

I am really sad, this service and the others are in USA only. i cant test any :(

That is a shame.  I'm actually really excited by this.  To me, this is the best thing to happen since the original Napster (and my favorite, AudioGalaxy).  If I can pay $5 (or even more) to have nearly unlimited access to all kinds of music, I'm all for it.  I can listen to all my favorites, and really try out lots of new things.

I just imagine that the services will change in the future.  I could see them letting you stream an album for a certain number of plays before you have to pay a fee to listen to it whenever you want.

In the meantime, I'm just sitting back and enjoying.

Now somebody work it out so that I can do it all withing MC and I'll just die insanely happy!!!

;D

Pink Waters

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 02:24:43 pm »

For me i think, buing music and downloading it with the quality i prefer is the best way for listning rather than those streaming music services.
Because nothing is handy and satisfaing than a downloaded collection in my PC with my own settings and cover arts and more.
Tamer

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 02:27:35 pm »

Well, you can listen to the albums streaming OR you can download them to your computer.  I've been downloading stuff, but I've been just listening to streams of albums that I have heard of and would like to explore.

I think the streams are excellent sound quality.

Pink Waters

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 02:48:40 pm »

I think the streams are excellent sound quality.
But you will stick to the service software, and you will enjoy some gaps between tracks..! :)
Tamer

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 07:31:50 pm »

Yahoo owns MusicMatch and now MusicMatch just cut their rate to $6.95 per mnth. who will be next?

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 04:44:03 pm »

If you download tracks from yahoo to your computer you can play them MC ,which is pretty cool

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 08:36:45 pm »

If you download tracks from yahoo to your computer you can play them MC ,which is pretty cool

True, but I actually have been listening to a lot of albums via streaming, just checking out things I may be interested in.  I would love to do this via MC.

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 07:21:04 am »

Curious, how do you do this? I try, and MC says something about "individuation", then says "acquiring license", opens up a little window that eventually times out with a "this page cannot be displayed" standard browser error. I have installed the Yahoo music engine...do I need to be signed in with Messenger also? Yikes...I'd rather not be if not necessary.

jgreen

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 04:09:46 pm »

Mangy--
This sounds like an error message I got with Napster.  Both services use MSFT DRM, so it's worth considering.  Are you logged in with Admin priviledges?  (Win2k or XP Pro).  If you're runnig either OS, you need to operate with Admin priviledges.  As a workaround, any song you initialize successfully with MC11 can then be played at lower priviledges. 

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 04:29:55 pm »

Yes, logged in as Admin. I don't care about lower priviledges as I'm always logged in as Admin, I just want to listen to my downloaded DRM'ed Yahoo music in MC11 if possible.

Thanks for the tips GRAYDOG.

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 06:04:47 pm »

Are Your yahoo files stored in a place where mc knows to look?

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 06:08:28 pm »

Yep, they imported just fine...as I said above, when I try to play them, MC attempts to validate the DRM, but fails.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 06:12:54 pm »

If the files are from a PC you own, the music service can probably help you.  Most of them allow several PC's to be used.  But it is limited.

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 11:28:39 pm »

Finally picked up a portable that's compatible with Yahoo (the Creative Zen Micro).  It takes the service to a whole new level.  I can fill it up with as much as I can download, take it with me, and get rid of it if I don't like it.  All for $5 a month!
Pages: [1]   Go Up