INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Ripping problem  (Read 3646 times)

PAP

• Recent member
  • This space for Rent
CD Ripping problem
« on: September 21, 2002, 01:27:55 pm »

When I put an audio CD in and try and RIP it using digital mode I get the following error:

Open Drive failed. Parameter is out of range  -- click on Ok then I get: Read track failed. Drive is not opened.

I have all SCSI hardware including Plextor ultraplex CD player which I'm trying to use.  I have the latest ASPI files installed: Aspichk shows: 4.71.1 for aspi32.sys and wnaspi32.dll and 4.6(1021) for wowpost.exe and winaspi.dll.  

If I use other extractor/rip programs, I have no problem - it rips right away without error.

Here is what MJ shows me:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.370
Install Path: d:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1684 MHz MMX (note: duel XEON)
Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 660 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

I await your assistance in this regard.  If I haven't provided enough info, let me know.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: CD Ripping problem
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2002, 02:47:05 pm »

Paul,
After you tried to damage our reputation on three newsgroups and on AVSForum, I offered you a refund.

Here's what you posted on news groups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=1462333.e1cZaCqRGA%40blinkynews.invalid&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522media%2BJukebox%2522%2B-crack%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D1462333.e1cZaCqRGA%2540blinkynews.invalid%26rnum%3D7

This is what I said at AVSForum:

--------------
"Since Paul's SPAM filters may be set too high, I'd like to offer him a refund here. We will send a check for $24.98 to the address on file with his license. "

and

"As for helping you solve your problem, we'll try, if you'll repair the damage you've done. "
---------------------

I think you owe JRiver (not me) an apology.  If you will do this where you posted, we'll try to help.  No guarantee that the problem can be solved.

I suspect this may be too great a price.  If we don't hear anything, we'll issue the refund next week as I said we would.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 03:47:23 pm »

Paul,
One more thing to add to this.  Some of the best contributors and well, friends, here, have started out in similar tangles.  We ended up making peace and going on.  I hope you might think it's possible.

Jim

PAP

• Recent member
  • This space for Rent
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2002, 04:47:51 pm »

Jim - I guess I must have misunderstood your offer.  I am very hopeful that I will be able to post a very postive update regarding the outcome of this issue.  I will certainly be happy to post it as widely as I posted my complaints.

I thought you had elected to try and help me, thus I came back to "try again."  If I misunderstood I apologize.  

My initial post elsewhere was a summary of events as I could most accurately report them.  I'll be happy to post that we are working on a solution if you wish - I've never tried to be anything but honest in my relaying of my experience here and with your software.  I figured if the issue was simple, you'd fix the problem and then I'd be able to post a final resolution and close the whole matter.

Tell you what - I'll take the initiative and post a follow-up which I feel acurately reflects the situation we stand at now.  And I think if you look at it objectively, you'll know I'll be glad to post a resolution when all is said and done that will reflect what has occured and J River's efforts to solve the problem.

But I'll be honest, I can't make any statements about the resolution of the deleting threads problem - as I've not been told any policy change has occured.

Ball is in your court. As I've said all along,  I want the software to work!  I'd much rather have that than my money back.

Regards.

P.S. Didn't figure I'd get a reply on Sat. evening - you must work as much as I do.  :-/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2002, 04:56:14 pm »

If you want to update your posts on newsnet, that's probably a good idea.

The premise we're working on here needs to be defined.

We agree to try to help.

We don't agree to solve the problem.  It may be unique.  It may be a Microsoft problem.  It may be a driver problem with the CD drive.  It may be another piece of software hogging some piece of hardware.  There are lots of ways this can go wrong.

I suggest you also agree to try other means to solve the problem.

I appreciate that you are trying to be cool about this.  Everybody here understands how frustrating PC problems can be.

PAP

• Recent member
  • This space for Rent
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 05:11:33 pm »

Jim - I have posted a followup which I think is only fair at this point.

Of course I can't expect that you can guarantee that everything will work.  

I guess my assumption has obviously been since other software works fine, that is must be something that either is configured wrong on my end (within your software) or a bug in your program.  Now that assumption may well be wrong - I'm certainly not a computer expert, but I think you would agree that if everything -but- MJ works fine then it's a definite possibility that MJ may be the problem.

Basically I'm asking for you to tell me what to do to troubleshoot the problem, and I'll do it and report back - that's all I can ask for.

I think you are realizing I'm not out to destroy either you or the software - I really do like the product! :)  I'm glad we can move forward with this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2002, 04:34:51 am »

I'll leave this for JohnT to comment on tomorrow.  He's our CD expert.

I noticed this for the first time about your configuration:

> I have all SCSI hardware

This should work, but most people use IDE so this may be a clue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 05:17:32 am »

On AVSForum, Rattler makes some good suggestions.

Here's the link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171837&pagenumber=2

and here's what he says:

firstly i would like to say that i think "media jukebox" is an amazing product and does almost everything apart from brushing your teeth.

lets just start suggesting fixes to the problem.

something that really needs to be checked that would be very likely to be causing your problem is how your OS is interacting with your drives.
now I'm not sure where you can check this on all OS's but i now that with xp and 2k if you go into device manager and double click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers".
from there double click on the "Channel" that your drive is attached to.

from there you should be able to click on the "advanced properties" tab and see what the "Current transfer mode is".
if it is set to "PIO mode" then this could very likely be the cause of your problem, you will get much better results from "DMA mode". but then again if this isn't the case then you will have to try something else. maybe some else has some ideas??

If you reply to him, you'll need to do it there.

We have seen instances before where DMA gets automatically set to PIO.  I'm not sure whether the OS or another piece of software is doing it.  I believe people said it happened on reboot.  Others here may remember.

Feedback Department.  These kinds of comments don't help:

we remain in disagreement with regards to their policy of deleting threads in the support forums

and

Good companies can make bad decisions

PAP

• Recent member
  • This space for Rent
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 12:56:44 pm »

They would be good suggestions if I were running an IDE based system, but I am not.  I am running all SCSI so PIO/DMA does not apply.

My system hardware appears to be functioning just fine, as Easy CD-DA extractor works flawlessly.

Further suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 02:24:59 pm »

Under MJ Settings/Options/Device settings, how is the drive set?  ASPI?  IDE?  Auto?  Try changing the setting.

Spy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2002, 06:24:28 pm »

I have also received this error, however i do not have any SCSI on my system, im all IDE. But i received the exact same error message. Any ideas?

Spy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2002, 06:28:27 pm »

Well, imediatly after my post, i read the suggenstion posted by the admin to mess around with the settings, and i am happy to say that worked for me. Thanks alot ;D

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2002, 07:11:46 am »

Hi Paul,

I tried several times to contact you via email but they all got rejected by a spam filter. Our sys admin says that your mail server must (erroneously) have us on a list of spam relay sites and thus rejects mail from us.

As to the ripping problem, the first thing to try is Jim's suggestion:
"Under MJ Settings/Options/Device settings, how is the drive set?  ASPI?  IDE?  Auto?  Try changing the setting. "

Let us know if this helps.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

PAP

• Recent member
  • This space for Rent
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2002, 02:48:43 pm »

They are both set to ASPI.  Changing them does not solve the problem.

I have noted something else strange (perhaps it will help you).  If I have digital playback enabled - when I click on the first song listed for example and then click play, the little speaker icon that shows which one is playing skips immediately to the next song, but nothing plays (says "stopped" down in the info area).  If I switch to analog, it plays fine.

BTW - try using .com instead of .net on my email address and see if that might fix the problem.  I've sent an inquiry as to why this is happening to my ISP.

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2002, 07:05:54 am »

Just to verify that MJ isn't confusing drive letters, try putting an audio CD in both drives and then try to rip the first track from either of them. You have two SCSI cd drives right? Are they both on the same controller? What are the assigned drive letters?
You could also try changing the setting of "Use internal aspi..." in the cd writer settings page and restarting MJ.

Thanks,
John T.

PAP

• Recent member
  • This space for Rent
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2002, 03:35:33 pm »

I just tried putting an audio CD in both drives (I do have 2 scsi CD drives - one is CDRW and other is just CD, they both are a single channel [not shared with any other devices]).  The program then proceeded to crash with
Program error - Media Jukebox.e.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.  You will need to restart the program.  An error log is being created.

Now what?

hvy_duty

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2002, 07:07:56 pm »

I don't want to get in the middle of this dog fight but I didn't know they made SCSI  CD rom drives is this right. If it is you learn something everyday.

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2002, 12:41:12 pm »

hvy-duty:
Yes, they make SCSI cd drives. I have one one my computer.

PAP:
 Did you try unchecking the "Use internal ASPI..." option and restarting MJ? This won't work unless you have aspi installed on your system. The "cd burning tips" page has a link to information on how to install aspi if you need it.

Cunnagin

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2002, 02:08:36 pm »

? I've got the same problem exactly + I can't even play back an Audio CD track in Digital mode - just Analog mode.

My system is:

Abit KG7-Raid + Athlon 1.4Mhz
Plextor 12/10/32A
LiteOn 48x12x48

The ASPI is 4.71, Windows 98SE (all patches up to date)

Device settings for the CD-RW's are:
  Disconnect - checked
  Sync Data Transfer - checked
  Auto Insert Notification - checked
  DMA - checked

I've had this problem since I bought MJ a couple of months ago.  I contacted MJ and got a quick response from John Thompson - who provided me with a DLL file that I used which corrected the digital playback problem, but not the ripping.

Unfortunately, I have been upgrading MJ since then and now the patch does not work and I still have both problems.

I've tried just about everything that's been mentioned with no luck... is there anything else you might recommend to check? Do you have a utility to look at CD-RW device transfer modes under 98 (as that seems to be suggested as a prime culprit)?

PAP

• Recent member
  • This space for Rent
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2002, 03:49:14 pm »

JohnT - I think you might have fixed it.  I changed the use internal ASPI setting and it seems to be working - will be doing some testing and report back but I'm VERY encouraged.

Thanks!

P.S. - this seemed to fix the problem with digital playback as well as ripping.  Not sure why, but thought I'd let you know.

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2002, 06:44:48 am »

PAP-
Glad to hear it's working. There must be a problem with our internal aspi layer on some scsi systems even though it works fine on mine.

The digital playback uses the same code base as the ripping so that's why both were fixed at the same time.

Cunnagin-
Try disabling "auto insert" and the DMA option just to see if it makes a difference. Reboot afterwards.
Have you run the "aspichk.exe" program just to verify that everything's installed correctly? Are you getting the "parameter out of range" error or something else?

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2002, 07:26:27 pm »

Hi.

I am now experiencing the same error messages.  It is strange because I haven't touched a setting since I first successfully started ripping.

I have two CDs (one tdk velocd and the other a simple dvd drive).  They were both previously set to ASPI and were working fine.

I then came back today and (oh by the way I am running v. 370) I was getting this strange error message.

Reading the suggestions I changed both drives to be "IDE" and now at least for this one CD I can rip fine.

But this brings up the real anomaly I dind't understand.  Although my LIsa Loeb CD would give that error, I then stuck in another CD and it ripped fine even with ASPI.

Does this make even a remote bit of sense?

Sunil

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2002, 04:51:13 am »

Any new software installed?  

WMP 9.0 beta or a Windows Service Pack?

Other software that uses the drives?  Software that is always running?

Cunnagin

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2002, 08:54:37 pm »

John T -

I unchecked both DMA and Auto-Insert Notify & rebooted - still no luck...

I have run ASPICHK and it shows no problems...

I DO get the "Open drive failed. Parameter is out of range" error - then a brief pause - then the "Read track failed. Drive not opened" error.  This when I try to rip a track.

When I try to play a track (digital mode) it says "Opening..." then almost immediately says "Stopped" and doesn't make a peep the whole time.

I have gone into the "CD Writer Settings" options GUI and the "Use internal ASPI layer (require restart)" selection is shaded out so I can't change it (it is unchecked).  Also, I have tried with the "Use generic driver" both checked and unchecked, no luck either way.

I do have an external Sandisk USB Smartmedia reader connected to my USB and it has some port driver software that shows up when I use Nero's CD Info utility... I looked into the Sandisk FAQ to see if there were any conflict issues reported; didn't see any - so I removed it from the system.  I did see they mentioned the APIX.DLL (I *think*) which had apparently caused other issues - so I was curious if it's used by MJ or not...

Any other suggestions?

JohnT

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2002, 08:22:27 am »

Have you run aspichk.exe since you removed sandisk from the system? The apix.dll is a necessary part of the aspi layer on win98 systems. I would suggest re-installing the aspi 4.71 software. You have to reboot afterwards.

Cunnagin

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2002, 05:57:11 pm »

I ran ASPICHK - no problems - even forced a reinstall of 4.71 ASPI drivers by using the "force" parameter with ASPIINST.EXE

Still no luck - I've done everything I can think of; I do know that the special version of the "in_cda.dll" file that you sent to me on 6/11/02 did fix the digital playback problem.  I was told at that time that the ripping was performed by another file and so that problem was never closed.

What was special about the "in_cda.dll" file that made it work at that time?  It doesn't work now with the latest version of Media Jukebox.

Am I missing the boat on something here?  Is this a common error for other people (the ripping problem - "Parameter out of range - Open drive failed... Read track failed...")?

woodyb3

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2002, 10:28:56 am »

I am getting the same behavior in MJ that people are now reporting. Trying to access either of my cd drives when a cd is in either one causes the program to crash.

I don't remember making any changes other than the normal MJ product updates when new versions are released.

I tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of MJ 8.0.387 with no success yet. Both the drives are IDE but show up in my system as SCSI which I hear isn't too uncommon on certain setups.

I'll try some of the suggestions on this thread to fix, pray for me ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up