INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatically import new files?  (Read 1624 times)

TLovejoy

Automatically import new files?
« on: July 04, 2005, 10:09:57 pm »

Hi, folks.

I'm trying out MC11 and it looks awesome.  I'm particularly interested in the UPnP Media Server, which seems to work quite well with my Netgear MP101.  Now, on to the question...

With Windows Media Player, you can tell it to "monitor" a folder, so that files added (via Windows Explorer, for instance) will automatically show up in the library.  Many other UPnP media servers also have an option to re-scan every 'x' number of minutes.  This allows new media files added to the folders to show up in the library within a relatively short period of time, and without having to manually re-scan.

For the life of me, I can't seem to find an option to do this in MC11.  The main reason I need this is that I have a subscription to a service that automatically downloads episodes of a radio program (podcasting) and puts them in a folder that MC includes in the library.  However, in order for these new episodes to show up in the MC library, I have to manually import the library again so that it finds the new media files.  Since I am using MC as a UPnP server, I might not actually sit at the computer for a couple of days at a time, so manually importing is rather inconvenient.

Am I missing something really simple?  I looked at the otions (don't want everything that I play in MC to be automatically added, just new files in my library), plug-ins, and services, but didn't see anything about how to do this.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

-Tom

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Automatically import new files?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 10:31:15 pm »

KingSparta wrote a plugin for this purpose.  Check this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26065.0 .

Note - I haven't used this, so I can't really comment on it.

TLovejoy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 11:00:36 pm »

Oh, mama!  This looks like exactly what I was looking for.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the info (and the quick reply)!

-Tom

TLovejoy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 11:38:32 pm »

Just a quick note...  I installed and set it up, and it seems to be working.  It imported everything right off the bat, then it automatically tried to import again at the interval that I set (there was nothing new to import, but it looked at all of the folders).  We'll see if it finds the new files that are downloaded overnight tonight but, if it does, then it'll be working perfectly.

Again, thanks for the help.  now I have to go to bed so that I can get up to work in the morning.  ;)

-Tom

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 11:40:56 am »

tom, Let me know how it turns out...
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

TLovejoy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 01:27:20 pm »

Hi, KingSparta.

It seems to have worked perfectly.  My podcasting software downloaded the programs overnight, and they were in my MC library this morning without any action being taken on my part.  It looks like a keeper!  I have set it up to re-scan every 30 minutes, which it seems to do as expected.  Great job!  Seems odd that it would require a plugin to do this, but since you wrote one, the point is moot.

Now to get more familiar with MC11 itself.  With this hurdle overcome, I'm thinking it's a good bet I'll be buying MC11.  The other feature that I REALLY like is the ability to set up different view schemes.  This lets me put my podacst shows at the top of the list on the MP101.  Very nice!  And the Library Server is cool too.  I could go on...

Paulr, thanks again for pointing me to KingSparta's plugin.  All is good...

-Tom

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 02:12:02 pm »

I have Been Sold On Media Julebox And Now Media Center For Years

It Takes Some Time To Be Media Center Certified

But all in all it is the best package all around.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up