INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: "send to... ftp" - html photo albums  (Read 855 times)

murraymusic

• Recent member
  • life is so twisted...
Re: "send to... ftp" - html photo albums
« on: July 30, 2005, 07:07:22 am »

More of same with more issues....

In fact the only way I can get MC to do the upload is to use the full path in the address bar and a single forward-slash in the path field

1. I did a bunch of tests, and found, you need at least one directory after the server name for it to work, the rest can go in the path field. For example:

Address: ftp01.powweb.com/htdocs
Path:/murrayhome/temp3/testing/yet

The problem with FTP not working unless the part of the path is included in the address field has been a problem since version 10. I complained along time ago but nothing came of it.  They should at least update the documentation. There is no mention of this anywhere in the help doc. I wasted alot of time the back in version 10 trying to get it to work, searching the forum etc. When I went to use it in version 11 I was surprized it operated the same.  I imagine other people end up getting rather fustrated as well.

2. ** new issue ** While doing the above FTP tests etc, I found it would often send the full sized image files even though I had a smaller sized selected. I found if I selected different size than I wanted, press OK, then went back into the IMAGE OPTIONS and set it to what I wanted it would then work ok. It seemed to  do this almost every time I changed a FTP destination directory in the Path. Also if uploading 12 or more photos it would lock up MEDIA CENTER until the transfer was complete, the original files were around 1.2 mbyte, media center resized them to around 120 kbytes.  A couple times when it sent the full sized images (I had selected smaller) it totally locked up Media center, and now I have a couple directories on my web server I can't FTP into or delete them for some strange reason. I am looking into that with my web host.
Is there a way to send the photo's to folder on my own pc and have Media Center resize them, so I can then FTP with a stand alone FTP program?
I have DSL and Version: 11.0.309 of media center. My pc is a 1.3 ghz pentium cerelon, 256Mbytes of  ram running windows xp home service pack 2.

3. As far as the FTP session not remember the password that is rather lame. Every FTP application (html editors etc) I use, either saves the password or has an option to allow you to save it.  I use a different password for all my applications and they get changed every month. 

4. Another possible work around for the thumbnail issue is to use an Free PHP indexing gallery script. I use one  for my several of my sites. You just throw the php file in the root directory of your photo's and it scans the directory, listing directories and photos, automatically generating thumb nails and web sized images.  I like it as I have thumbs, web sized images (I use 450 by 600), and the full sized image  I ftp to the web site ( 1200 by 800).  I name my folder with date and description so they are listed cronalogically.  The colors etc are changed in just one file. One issure is you need a host that has PHP scripting. To view the one I use ( a modified version of the original) http://www.rugbypg.kicks-butt.com/photogallery/index.php?site=B
If anyone is interested I can dig up where I got it from and also make the version I modifed avaliable as well, and list links to other similar scripts.

Overall I like media center alot, though version 11 has been crashing for me lately,  and most of my issues are with the photo's.

Good day Murray Scott

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 04:52:18 am »

Hi folks,

I have to agree with Murray on MC ftp transfer behaviour and documentation
In fact I just lost an hour trying to find how to upload an image to a particular directory on my website. The image always ended in the root. Until I diecided to do an interact search and found this thread by Murray.
I ended up specifying my image path along the ftp server address and not in the 'path' box !
Anyway, it's working now,

Thanks Murray

Have a great day,

Christian

BTW: this is a good example if the usefulness of the interact !
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 07:01:22 am »

Hi Christian,

Some other documentation on this (from the FAQ) is here:

Web or FTP Upload
This can automatically upload your pictures and make a new web page.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=11120
or
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23548

There was an issue with where the backslash needed to be placed but I believe that is now fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up