INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Ripping Formats.  (Read 980 times)

ajfaull

Dual Ripping Formats.
« on: August 29, 2005, 09:56:23 am »

I am getting ready to re-rip my entire collection of CDs.  I would like to make a master library by ripping the disc image (CUE)  in APE format.  However, I have only had limited success in converting files to MP3 for my MP3 player.

When I try to convert to MP3 from CUE files I usually get no tags, and the filenames are all the name of the master file, not the individual songs.  Do I need to rip my CDs twice?  Once for the APE/CUE and once for the MP3?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Dual Ripping Formats.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:27:39 am »

You could try the MakeAPL tool, which is included in the Monkeys Audio package. It makes small APL link files from cue files. APL link files hold APE v.2 tags and support many things that don't work directly with cue files. File conversions work fine from APL files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

apocalypse

Re: Dual Ripping Formats.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 03:06:53 pm »

ajfaull: I just did what you are about to this weekend. It was long and painstaking, but I now have 200+ CD's, ripped via Monkeys Audio format so I'll never have to re-rip these again!

You are correct, you will have to rip these CD's to the *.ape format. Once that is done encode them to *.mp3 or whatever format you want.

I did not have Media Center 11 when I started, but this is how I went about it.

I used CDex to rip the CD's to *.ape files (Monkeys Audio). I was then going to use Monkeys Audio to convert the *.ape files to *.mp3 files. It was then that I found out that Monkeys Audio truncated the ID3v2 tag information. I didn't want to manually adjust the tag information for 2800 songs, so I went searching for a tag editor and that is how I found out about Media Center 11. The trial worked great for creating/modifying the tag information (I liked it so much I purchased it). Once the tags were updated I then used Media Center to create the *.mp3s.

Knowing what I know now, I would have used Media Center to create the *.ape files and then convert the *.ape files to *.mp3.

I was torn as to how to create my mp3's, VBR or ABR. I decided to go with ABR Normal (~192 kbps). 2800 songs took about 15 hours (about 20 seconds a song).

I hope this information helps you, post back if you have any other questions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up