INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening preset internet links in main MC window.  (Read 1912 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Opening preset internet links in main MC window.
« on: August 29, 2005, 03:05:02 pm »

Is there a way to create some sort of link or tree item (like the Audible plugin) that will quickly open a web site of my choice in the main MC window?  I'd like to utilize sites like Shoutcast to listen to streaming media.  I can do this by opening a separate IExplorer window, but it would be more convenient if there was a quick way of clicking something in MC and having the site open in the main window (like, once again, the Audible plugin) so that the process would be fully contained within MC.

Based on the behavior of the other "Services" offered, it seems like this would be possible, but I searched the documention and couldn't tell if this is something I can set up in MC or not.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Opening preset internet links in main MC window.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 01:52:51 pm »

I keep searching the forums and documentation for information on this, but I just can't tell if this is possible or not.  Does anybody happen to know if this is something that can be done with MC?  I can use the Google search box located on the MC "Start" page to search for www.shoutcast.com, and then click on the link that comes up, but I can't figure out how to "directly" get the shoutcast website to display in the main MC window.  Is there some way to add an internet link to the MC tree?

Thanks again,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 02:51:54 pm »

You can add a menu button in Theater View.  Right click and choose Configure Theater View, then Add, then Custom. 

F11 gets you to Theater View and back.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 03:12:43 pm »

Thanks.

Is there any way to also add a tree item to the "Standard View" tree, or to access a web site via Standard View more easily (i.e. without having to go to Theater View)?

Thanks again,

Larry

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 03:29:00 pm »

Larry, is it your goal to play certain shoutcast stations within MC, or to have shoutcast available for continuous browsing?

Shoutcast is just a menu of links, the audio comes from the target websites, for example www.smoothjazz.com.  Are there just a few stations that you play a lot?  You can build a list of them and put that in the tree.  When you open it you will get all the stations you've chosen and then you would click one to play.

As for your original question, the answer is "yes".  I tried this based on your question and it's not difficult,  but I'm not sure it's a jriver-approved method, and you don't gain anything unless you're always browsing shoutcast.  At any rate, I'm not going to tell you. 

Besides, I'm usually the last one to figure anything out, so you either already know or you're just not trying.  Everyone else knows, I'm sure, and they're just not telling.  What did you do to make everyone so angry at you?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 03:30:16 pm »

Shhhh....

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 04:32:23 pm »

Larry, is it your goal to play certain shoutcast stations within MC, or to have shoutcast available for continuous browsing?

My goal is simply this:  Rather than having to open an Internet Explorer window and clicking on the "Tune In" links to play various stations, I'd like to have the window open in the main MC window.  I CAN do this if I go to the "start" page, use the Google search box to search for "Shoutcast," then click on the link that Google finds.  This results in the Shoutcast website appearing withing the main MC window.  All I want is an easier way to get this result.  I'm not asking for anything even remotely unethical.

I know how to individually import stations into the library, and I've done this before.  The problem is that stations seem to keep coming and going, and I am tired of maintaining an updated list.  Since the Shoutcast list is a list of links updated by others, it's much easier to just use that page to access stations.  If the stations go off the air, they'll stop appearing in the Shoutcast list automatically.  In other words, I'm just using the Shoutcast list in the same way one would use the "Web Media" item in the MC tree.  Unfortunatly, MC's "Web Media" list is sorely out of date, with LOTS of stations that don't work.  It eventually got so bad that I just stopped using it, which is what led me to the idea of using the Shoutcast page for my "searchable radio station links" page.

As for your original question, the answer is "yes".  I tried this based on your question and it's not difficult,  but I'm not sure it's a jriver-approved method, and you don't gain anything unless you're always browsing shoutcast.  At any rate, I'm not going to tell you.

I think there must be a misunderstanding of what I'm trying to accomplish.  I honestly don't understand why it would take a "non approved" method to do what I want, and I'm honestly at a TOTAL loss as to why what I'm asking would be a "touchy" subject.  It really seems like we're just not taking about the same thing.  I already CAN open a web site in the main MC window -- I just want an easier way of doing it.  Why on Earth would this be a problem?

Besides, I'm usually the last one to figure anything out, so you either already know or you're just not trying.

Okay -- we can't possibly be on the same page here.  Why in the world would I be asking if I already know?  Why would even think this?  As far as "not trying" goes, if you look at my history of posts, you'll see that I'm the type of person who tries VERY hard to figure issues out, and I'm often the one to eventually SOLVE issues and post the solutions here.  I took the time to write and post the "Larry's iPod Notes" document in the "Portable Players" thread -- a several page document outlining ways to utilize MC to manage mulitple iPods.  Do I sound like someone who "isn't trying?"

Everyone else knows, I'm sure, and they're just not telling.

What?  If "everyone else knows," than why can't you tell me.  What is going on here!?

What did you do to make everyone so angry at you?

I make a strong effort to contribute to these forums as much as I utilize them to help myself.  There just has to be a miscommunication here -- are you SURE you understand what I'm asking to do?

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 04:40:29 pm »

Shhhh....

Seriously guys, these responses are honestly making no sense to me, and I think I've contributed enough to these forums to deserve some sort of explanation.  Please give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm just not "getting" why you guys are being coy about this.  I can't help feeling like there is simply a misunderstanding of what I'm asking, which is simply an easier way to do what I can already do in MC.  I'm NOT asking for anything unethical -- I'm asking for a very basic, simple capability.

Jim -- you already explained how to add a link to the "Theater View" page.  Why would it be "taboo" to tell me how to add a tree link, or at least a way to get the web site to display more easily?  Please help me understand whatever it is that I'm obviously missing here.

Thank you,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 04:42:42 pm »

jgreen is pulling your leg.

There is no way (that I know of) to do what you want in the tree.  If there were, I would have told you that.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 04:50:52 pm »

jgreen is pulling your leg.

Wow -- I honestly thought that there must have been a misunderstanding about what I was trying to do.  It just didn't "read" like a joke.

There is no way (that I know of) to do what you want in the tree.  If there were, I would have told you that.

That's what I thought, until the whole "non approved method" idea came up, at which time I guess I just missed the joke.

Thanks for clearing this up,

Larry

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 04:52:38 pm »

Larry--
I misunderstood your question, apparently.  MC doesn't support browser links in the tree, that I know of.  You clearly have it all nailed down re/web radio links, etc, which is what I was referring to, mostly, so I won't antagonize you further.  Sorry to yank your chain, my mistake.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 05:02:58 pm »

Larry--
I misunderstood your question, apparently.  MC doesn't support browser links in the tree, that I know of.  You clearly have it all nailed down re/web radio links, etc, which is what I was referring to, mostly, so I won't antagonize you further.  Sorry to yank your chain, my mistake.

So you DID misunderstand what I was asking -- at least I wasn't completely crazy.  I suspected that the "what did you do to make everybody angry" comment was tongue in cheek, but the rest of the post just seemed too "real" to be kidding.

Sorry about the misunderstanding,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up