INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All mp3's deleted during library maintenance  (Read 1316 times)

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
All mp3's deleted during library maintenance
« on: September 28, 2005, 06:55:26 pm »

I was pruning my 8000 track, 110GB library in Media Library view when all of a sudden all library entries and mp3 files themselves were deleted.  Curiously, all avi files stayed even though they were also in the lib.  All I can remember is that I was listening to an mp3 then deleted it while it was playing. 

I got the "this will leave empty folders, do you want to delete them" dialog and I selected Yes.  I did not get any other dialog.  Then in horror watched my entire lib go blank.  Note that all the folders on my hd stayed, but all mp3 files within them were gone.  Anybody else had this happen?  Luckily I restored from a weekly backup and only lost a few hours work on pruning/retagging.

Would it be possible to add a failsafe option to help keep this from happening?  One thing I did err on is that when I selected Delete on the track I also selected Delete Permanently instead of moving to Recycle Bin - but with so many tracks there is no way all of them would have fit in it anyway.

Media Center Registered 11.0.314 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2752 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 450 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2713 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050702-1513) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive W: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-106D  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive W: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-106D   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:5  MaxSpeed:5  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: All mp3's deleted during library maintenance
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 07:21:34 pm »

Anybody else had this happen?

no

you would have had to have all the files selected in media library for them to be deleted

(disclaimer: as far as i know)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 07:43:54 pm »

Sounds like you had all files selected when you pressed delete. 

Sorry for your problem.

If you haven't used the drive much, you may be able to recover most of them with a utility.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 06:01:35 am »

If you haven't used the drive much, you may be able to recover most of them with a utility.

File Scavenger has saved my day a few times.

Check this address for some other utilities: http://www.tucows.com/downloads/Windows/IS-IT/FileManagement/FileRecovery/
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 10:34:38 am »

Horror story, its good to know you recovered with not too much loss.

The question is how to make it clear so this does not happen, of course no one can prevent it completley but at least make it harder to do without being over intrusive when you really *do* want to delete.

When you select a file or files for deletion, the dialog says :

Are you sure you want to delete the selected track(s) from your media library and all playlists ?

Now it does not tell you whether you are about to delete 1 track or even your whole library.

Would including the number of tracks selected to be deleted help here, some more feedback but nothing more.

Are you sure you want to delete (#) selected track(s) from your media library and all playlists ? (emphasis mine)

Would it give you pause if you were told that a few thousand tracks more than what you thought.... were about  to go :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up