INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the formats different in MC11.1 ?  (Read 2340 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Are the formats different in MC11.1 ?
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:22:06 pm »

My questions from the 11.1.31 and 35 threads:

Have these Windows registry items changed?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 11\Properties
-  View Settings - Column Presets  and
-  View Settings - Sorting Presets

I noticed that the previously saved presets don't work anymore.

Also, the playlist format seems to be changed: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29832.0.

Are the versions incompatible? In that case they are not so close cousins (contrary to what I read before). It would be better to separate the registry entries and make it possible to install both versions. Otherwise it will be difficult for many of us to try the alpha versions and give feedback.

Currently I have MC11.1 installed on my laptop where the possible problems don't matter much, but a better test environment would be my main MC rig, my HTPC. However, a reconfiguration session every time I need to reinstall the v.11.0 would be too much for me.

Actually, if the internal playlist formats really are incompatible there is no way to completely import a changed library from MC11.1 to MC11.0.

May I have an answer, please?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Are the formats different in MC11.1 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 04:06:40 pm »

Hi Alex,

The database format has definitely changed between 11.0 and 11.1, so you will not be able to revert back to 11.0 after running 11.1. Make a backup of your 11.0 database if you think you might want to revert. We're trying to keep 11.1 fairly stable, so hopefully the brave can stick with it while we do bug fixes.

j

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 05:34:19 pm »

Thanks for the answer.

I have currently an identical MC11.0 database on three PCs and I reflect any changes to all of them. I started the main database with MJ8 over three years ago and I have carried it over to each new MC version. It includes all statistics, playlists, smartlists and tags for thousands of video, document, cue, etc files that cannot contain physical tags.

It takes a lot of bravery to update the whole system. At least I would have to be reasonable sure that the new feature set is suitable for my needs.

For example, lets assume that I feel quite satisfied with the features in the current build and upgrade all the PCs and continue making changes with MC11.1. It would be OK unless a new feature change breaks something that I really need. I might be able to get that fixed, but it's also possible that the needed fixes cannot be done because they don't fit in the other plans. Anyway fixing the problem might take a long time.

On the other hand I would like to continue participating the development process. Last time it went smoothly because it was possible to have the versions 10 and 11.0 installed at the same time. During the first six or seven months I made the library changes with MC10 and used MC11 only for testing.

Is it difficult to separate the 11.0 and 11.1 registry entries? That would make possible to have both versions installed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 06:49:21 am »

A real-life example from the 11.1.139 thread (in case this is an MC bug):

PROBLEMS WITH MEDIA SERVER

I installed the last version of 11.1. on my Server PC and as it seems pretty stable and Client PC would not stream with the 11.0 version installed on the Client ("Incompatible Data Format" or similar), I also installed 11.1.39 on my Client PC in the Living Room.

However, it simply does not stream any Adio Files thru MediaServer any longer.  It says "Opening" for a while and than aborts with a message that it cant find it.

The file plays ok when directly accessed thru the Network drive and MC11.1

Would be great if anyone has any ideas why this is???

B

I can't try to reproduce this because I haven't been brave enough to install 11.1 on the other PC's in the house besides my personal laptop.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 07:03:00 am »

Is it difficult to separate the 11.0 and 11.1 registry entries? That would make possible to have both versions installed.
That won't happen.  11.0 and 11.1 are the same major version. 

We have several other flavors of 11.0/11.1 to keep separate so we just can't do it.

Your concern about 11.1 may not be justified.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 08:23:22 am »

I see your point. I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to find a way to go on with the v. 11.1.

Since the libraries and registry keys are incompatible it would be good at this stage to have one pretty stable intermediate build without any major problems so the users could roll back if needed. IMHO a way to achieve this could be to mainly fix bugs in a build or two before continuing with new functions. Personally, I'd be willing to backup my current setups and do some systematic bug hunting if that would be worth of the effort.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:16:27 am »

Beeing cautios is justyfied. I am just having a major struggle with MediaServer in Version 11.1

Doesnt stream any audio (APE). Direct link to the Server works fine so it cant be the files ar the link

B

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 11:54:31 pm »

Anyone figured out a way to get back to 11.0 while using an 11.1 library back up?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 07:00:30 am »

I see your point. I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to find a way to go on with the v. 11.1.
It would be crazy to shift over from stable 11.0 to 11.1 so early on. 11.1 prolly gets stable around .200+ and even then its iffy (going on prev versions to date).

Your only bet is to do it on a test box, but then you are not going to be able to test as you could have using it fulltime. If you opt for it full time, then you will spend many man-hours on it over the weeks. You can't go back.

Bottom line there won't be much testing on this version as most ppl will opt to stick with the stable 11.0.
Pages: [1]   Go Up