INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: offline media computer  (Read 1491 times)

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
offline media computer
« on: December 03, 2005, 04:18:42 pm »

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help. I am a registered user and have my main computer on the net. I just picked up a second computer to put next to my stereo and have installed media center on it. This second computer is not online and I would like to register my media center on this computer as well. I will eventually use the second computer along with my main computer and home network them together so I can access my main computer's library with media server. Is there a way to register the second computer that is offline?

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: offline media computer
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 04:25:04 pm »

Oh sorry I forgot to mention I have media center 11 and just as another question is it ok to install version 11 on windows 98 my main computer is XP but this second less powerful computer is Windows 98 and will this cause problems later for media server?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 05:18:43 pm »

Is there a way to register the second computer that is offline?

Yes, Read the directions on the restore page and save the restore key file.

then copy that file to the computer that has media center installed on it, and open the file by dbl clicking on it, it will then register.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 05:19:37 pm »

Oh sorry I forgot to mention I have media center 11 and just as another question is it ok to install version 11 on windows 98 my main computer is XP but this second less powerful computer is Windows 98 and will this cause problems later for media server?

No, but both versions of media center 11 will be required.

MC11.1.70 is not the same as mc 11.1.71 and may not work if mods were made to library server
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 09:30:55 am »

Thanks King on the restore thing but I must have confused you on the other item. I wasn't asking about 11 and 11.1 but if it was ok to network or use the Library server with the two different operating systems. In other words, will Media Center 11's library server work with these two computers, given that they are running two different operating systems?

benvisser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 10:01:03 am »

I have a few computers. working with different Operating systems.
Main Server is windows XP
The computer in the Living room connected to the Stereo and taking music from the main Computer has windows 2k.

I don't know waht's happening with windows'98. But I think there should be no problem.

Ben.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 10:02:49 am »

the operating system should not matter.

the point kingsparta is highlighting is that both computers must be using the same version of MC.
If you are using the generally released v11.0.316 that's fine, but if you venture into the beta testing world of MC11.1, you must remember to keep both computers running the same build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up