INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone got an audigy X-Fi?  (Read 3915 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
anyone got an audigy X-Fi?
« on: December 12, 2005, 02:37:44 am »

I've got it on good authority that Santa will bring me one these, the platinum variety, on the 25th...

I've no idea what to expect.

I know there's a neat break-out box for the front, and a remote control. I think the remote's of the IR variety. I wonder if it will be able to control MC?

I've got a set of creative inspire 5700 5.1 speakers that are getting on a bit now, but still kick out reasonable sound via an audigy 'player' card, so I'm hoping they'll do justice to the new card as I don't really want to splash for new speakers right now. New camera and more recently, 5g ipod, have wiped out all my rescources for new toys :)

-marko.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: anyone got an audigy X-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 09:25:47 pm »

Sorry, all I have is the Extreme Music Edition.  ;)

imitation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:02:36 pm »

I bought the platinum x-fi a couple of months ago. You’ll be pleased; it’s a very capable soundcard. I had the soudblaster live platinum card years ago and that card was a big disappointment. The build quality and the sound is considerably better than the old sblive. The sound quality is at least as good as my audiophile 2496. I’ve been gaming more and 2496 isn’t really suited for that, but I still have it installed and it’s working fine with the x-fi. I don’t use it anymore as the x-fi sounds great in 2 channel as well as 5.1 cannels. I was very impressed with the headphone out sound too. The breakout box has a gold plated ¼ jack and it mutes the speakers and switches to preset settings when you plug in your headphones. Nice  8)

When you install the software though do the minimum install option, the full install will add 12 running processes. There reputation for bloated software is still intact but at least it all seems to work. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 06:00:22 am »

sweet. thanks for the tips.

how about the remote? Do you use that at all?

imitation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 08:45:55 am »

I don’t use the remote much, it’s IF and needs a clear shot to the eye on the breakout box to work and since I have an RF remote wonder that will control basic functions in MC it probably won’t get much use. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:49:58 am »

been running this card for about six weeks now, and I have to say, I'm very pleased with it indeed.

soundcard wise, I had a Leadtech 3D audio card supplied in my first Packard Bell PC, and I upgraded that with a Turtle Beach offering that kind of fell into my lap ;)

Then I got me a basic Audigy "player" card, which served me well for several years, (it's still working fine if anyone wants to make me an offer) and now I have my new X-Fi card.

It's a massive step forward. Sound is awesome. If you're thinking of getting one, I can see no reason why you shouldn't.

ChrisM

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:49:47 pm »

I got an Audigy X-Fi. I love the sound from it but I cant figure out why Media center wont play music on all 7 of my speakers. right now it only plays off of the front 2 , but it wont play off the center, left side , right side and the left and right rear, Is there anyone around who can help me with this prob Ty

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 06:32:43 am »

I got an Audigy X-Fi. I love the sound from it but I cant figure out why Media center wont play music on all 7 of my speakers. right now it only plays off of the front 2 , but it wont play off the center, left side , right side and the left and right rear, Is there anyone around who can help me with this prob Ty

You can turn CMSS on to get it to use all the speakers.

Also, try out http://melloware.com/products/intelliremotev2/. It lets you customise what each of the buttons on your remote does - perfect for controlling MC :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up