INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AutoRip  (Read 3164 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
AutoRip
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:32:17 pm »

Autorip (single and multiple drives) in 11.79 is still not right. Can JR please comment if they can reproduce/not reproduce the problem?

Anyone else having problems?

Thanks.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: AutoRip
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 10:28:13 am »

Could you list the exact sequence of steps to reproduce the problem? I haven't seen the problem in my testing thus far. For simplicity, if it happens with one drive, list the steps to reproduce with one drive first. Do you know if "auto-insert" is enabled on your computer?
Also list all your CD Ripping settings from Tools/Options/CD and the Advanced Ripping Options. Screen shots of these pages would be ideal, otherwise just list them.

Thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 03:08:43 pm »

OK with me, on 11.1.79
1. Open MC
2. Open CD Drive...
3. Pop CD in drive
4. Close CD drive
5. MC says would you like to Rip, Play, Or Do Nothing
6. Select Rip
7. Click Rip
8. Click OK
9. Tracks get cued to Rip... but nothing happens....

Just tried to do it again, but for some reason failed to connect to YADB...
but still didn't rip afterwards...
I gotta go, I'll leave more detailed info later!

See later post

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:30:12 pm »

OK I've just realised something...
I presumed Enable-Auto Rip option meant well.. Auto Rip really....
however it would appear what i really wanted was Audio CD Action: Rip...

so having now toggled that...
it's Auto Ripping...

So my question would be.... umm whats the difference?   ?

As a side note, I think tool tips in some of these areas would really help
explain some of the options....

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:41:42 pm »

One autorips if the rip window is open.  The other auto rips on cd insertion regardless of the state of the rip bin.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 03:50:05 pm »

avpman-

The problem you described should be fixed in today's build, so there's no need for more information from you. Please test and let us know.

Thanks!

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:09:07 pm »

avpman-

The problem you described should be fixed in today's build, so there's no need for more information from you. Please test and let us know.

Thanks!

Awesome - anxiously awaiting!

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 05:19:24 pm »

One autorips if the rip window is open.  The other auto rips on cd insertion regardless of the state of the rip bin.

OK Cheers,
 :)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 08:03:34 pm »

Autorip is better but still having problems in 11.1.80. Narrowed it down to the following:

You can autorip multiple disks - but only once. Won't trigger the rip consistently on next insertion.

If you set concurrent rips to "1" and rip the first disk, you can't auto rip the next disk on the same CD drive. However, if you alternate CD drives, you can go on with the autoripping. You just have to swap CD drives on subsequent rips. (Hope this is clear). Also, upon all insertions, even those that won't trigger ripping, the tracks/titles DO show up in the device view as "On Disc". So MC is recognizing the insertion of the disk.

Couple of suggestions:
1) If in autorip mode, stay on the device view after the rip is complete. Currently the view changes to "Media Center". If you're ripping a bunch of disks it's nice to stay on the device view. (NOT individual CD view).

2) If the CD is not identified during lookup ("Unknown Artist" - "Track 1", "Track 2" etc). Don't proceed with the rip. An option to "Don't autorip unrecognized disks", would be great.

Let me know if you need more info.
Jim

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 11:15:09 am »

I guess I need the exact sequence of steps that occur. For example, here's what's happening on my computer with the following setup:

Computer has two CD drives and in the advanced options I have it setup to encode on the fly with max. concurrent ripping processes set to one. Auto-rip mode is enabled and "Audio CD Action:" is set to Rip.

1. start with 5 discs I have never ripped before, startup Media Center
2. insert disc 1, it starts ripping automatically
3. a Windows pop-up appears asking what to do with the inserted disc, I ignore it
4. disc 1 completes and ejects, I insert disc 2
5. disc 2 starts ripping
  at this point it goes back to step 3 and I continue like this (steps 3-5) for each remaining disc, using the same CD drive for all of them. I don't ever insert the same disk twice.

Could you give a step by step process?
Thanks.

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 11:50:07 am »

1) If in autorip mode, stay on the device view after the rip is complete. Currently the view changes to "Media Center". If you're ripping a bunch of disks it's nice to stay on the device view. (NOT individual CD view).
That's a good idea.

2) If the CD is not identified during lookup ("Unknown Artist" - "Track 1", "Track 2" etc). Don't proceed with the rip. An option to "Don't autorip unrecognized disks", would be great.
In Tools/Options/CD/Advanced Ripping Options..., do you have the option "If no matches are found, show CD submission dialog" enabled? That should avoid the "unknown artist" stuff.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 11:53:33 am »

That's a good idea.
In Tools/Options/CD/Advanced Ripping Options..., do you have the option "If no matches are found, show CD submission dialog" enabled? That should avoid the "unknown artist" stuff.

I have the CD Submission Dialog supressed. If I remember correctly, if that box popped up and I cancelled it - not wishing to do a submission - it crashed MC. But let me double check that again tonight.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 12:37:54 pm »

OT slightly, but
Is there anyway to stop tracks that have already been ripped,
being auto-ripped? (Presuming it's the same CD going back in?)

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 09:13:04 am »

OT slightly, but
Is there anyway to stop tracks that have already been ripped,
being auto-ripped? (Presuming it's the same CD going back in?)

Within a given ripping session, it won't re-rip the same disk. However, it will rip a disk that's been ripped in the past. It will either overwrite the file (if selected in advanced rip options) or create a new one with a number (like (2)) appended to the end of the filename.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 09:33:24 am »

I guess I need the exact sequence of steps that occur. For example, here's what's happening on my computer with the following setup:

Computer has two CD drives and in the advanced options I have it setup to encode on the fly with max. concurrent ripping processes set to one. Auto-rip mode is enabled and "Audio CD Action:" is set to Rip.

1. start with 5 discs I have never ripped before, startup Media Center
2. insert disc 1, it starts ripping automatically
3. a Windows pop-up appears asking what to do with the inserted disc, I ignore it
4. disc 1 completes and ejects, I insert disc 2
5. disc 2 starts ripping
  at this point it goes back to step 3 and I continue like this (steps 3-5) for each remaining disc, using the same CD drive for all of them. I don't ever insert the same disk twice.

Could you give a step by step process?
Thanks.

Tried the above steps (my options set same as yours). I can only make it through to end of step 4.

Additional info:
a) I don't get the windows popup in step 3 because I have the advanced options for the CD drive Autoplay to "Do nothing". However, I've also tried it set to "Play with Media Center", same result.

b) after step 4 completes, the view switches from the Devices view and on to the Album (last imported view?). Inserting the next disk does nothing at this point.

c) If I then switch away from the Album view and back to the Devices view (leaving the disk in the drive) the "Getting info from drive dialog" and "Connecting to Yadb" dialag boxes pop up and the Devices view is populated with the titles/tracks. But no autorip.

d) If I now eject and re-insert the disk - staying in the device view - the auto rip will start. Doing this same eject/re-insert sequence when in the Album (last imported view) - does NOT restart the rip.

It's important to note that if I have the concurrent rips set to 2 and use both drives, the ripping does not stall after step 4 above.

John, I'm going to be home all day today. If you want to talk on the phone or have me try something else and you think it would be easier to do live, then email me and I'll gladly send you my phone number.
Jim

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 09:45:08 am »

Thanks for your help on this. I'm going to test with CD drive AutoPlay set to nothing. I assume you're talking about the windows setting and not the setting within Media Center.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 09:53:52 am »

Thanks for your help on this. I'm going to test with CD drive AutoPlay set to nothing. I assume you're talking about the windows setting and not the setting within Media Center.

Correct, windows XP setting. Also, I can give u WebX access to my pc so u can see exactly what's happening if that will help.

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 09:59:22 am »

One thing you could do is send a log file of the rip process. To simplify the log file, go to Help/Configure Debug Logging and uncheck all events except "CD". Click "reset log file" and click Ok. Now rip one disk and at the point where it finished the first disk, ejects it, you insert another disk and Media Center just sits there as if it doesn't see the next disk, go back to the debug log dialog and click "view the current log file". Now save this text file and email it to me (zip it if you want to save space).

Thanks,
johnt @ jriver.com  (remove the spaces)
Pages: [1]   Go Up