INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPod woes  (Read 2073 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
IPod woes
« on: December 24, 2005, 08:58:14 pm »

Can't get the IPod to synch.  MC sees it, but the only option I get when I right click on it is "New Folder".  If I try to synch, I get about 100 errors - "File not found".  Ideas?

Thanks.

- Dave

razumik

• World Citizen
Re: IPod woes
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 10:20:27 pm »

Hello Dave.  Which version of MC are you using?  11.1 has the best IPOD support, though other versions should work just fine for music only.  If you are not using 11.1 I recommend upgrading to the 11.1.89 before trying anything else and see if that works. If it doesn't, and if this is the first time that you are trying to sync with MC, it may be a good idea to do a restore with the IPOD software (this will erase all music from IPOD) and then initialize with MC before trying to sync any files.  Once you have done this you should have no problems transferring.

Hope this helps,
Dan

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 12:07:13 pm »

It sounds to me like it's being recognized as a hard drive instead of as an ipod.
Get it working in Windows so that it is being seen as a hard drive under windows explorer.
Load the latest build of 11.1.
Initialize the ipod via MC, then visit the synch options screen.
Then sync.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 10:37:35 am »

I give up.  I ended up trying it from another computer.  I got the synch going, but when it was halfway done, it slowed to a crawl.  I then remembered the advice to run the latest 11.1 version, and checked the version.  I'd assumed that since I'd just done a fresh download, I had the latest - but no, I was still on 11.0.  So, I stopped the synch and downloaded 11.1.195, and restarted it.

First problem - even though I'd copied over 9000 files to the IPod, when I restarted the synch, it didn't recognize that half of the songs in my library were already there, so it said that it didn't have enough space.  So, I re-initialized the IPod from MC, and it still said it didn't have enough space.  So, I went into the IPod updator and did a "refresh" from there, and then restarted the synch from MC.

Second problem - it went for about an hour, and then MC crashed with a GPF.

Doesn't anyone else have these problems?  I'm not doing anything fancy.  My computer is totally fresh - my hard drive had died last week, so I've had to re-install everything.  The IPod is brand new, and has never been touched by ITunes.

I am using a 60 gig IPod, and am trying to synch about 55 gig of music to it.  That's probably unusual - maybe that's why it's working for others and not me (?)...

At this point, I'm just going to try to synch from ITunes and give up on MC.

ingram3480

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 08:01:50 pm »

I've sync'ed over 3000 tracks to my 5g 60gb iPOD.  Not a single problem. 

My HTPC has 9000+ tracks in APE format and I've been syncing them to the iPOD in batches of 300-650 or so while converting to MP3.  I have defined playlists for the iPOD that are similar to those I use on the HTPC. 

Each sync session I pick another playlist via the handheld option setting and let it run.

I'm guessing you are missing a step somewhere or have some other issue.

--Larry

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 08:42:01 pm »

I don't think I'm missing any steps - I'm telling it to synch a very large playlist (about 18,000 tracks), and the program starts the synch, but crashes after about 2000 tracks.  Maybe there's some workaround for this, but I don't think you can call this my bad - no matter what you do, the program shouldn't crash.

No matter - I exported the MC playlist I was synching with to ITunes, and synched from ITunes without a hitch.

- Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:00:48 am »

I don't think I'm missing any steps - I'm telling it to synch a very large playlist (about 18,000 tracks), and the program starts the synch, but crashes after about 2000 tracks.  Maybe there's some workaround for this, but I don't think you can call this my bad - no matter what you do, the program shouldn't crash.

No matter - I exported the MC playlist I was synching with to ITunes, and synched from ITunes without a hitch.

- Dave

If you'd like to help, try enabling all logging.  Then send the log after a crash to matt @ jriver.com.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up