INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restore question not answered by FAQ  (Read 1228 times)

blackimp

• Recent member
Restore question not answered by FAQ
« on: September 26, 2002, 07:59:21 pm »

? Today I changed my computer name and MJ told me I had to restore my license. Why am I being charged a restore for changing my computer name? I usually format my HD every 3 months and haven't had to restore my license before or was that done automatically? Thanks in advance for any info.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Restore question not answered by FAQ
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 03:54:25 am »

That's a restore.  You have 9 left this year.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2002, 04:14:20 am »

Jim could we have a precise list of what does and does not generate a restore event ?? I know we now have more restores and it should be plenty but lunatic fringers may get into difficulty with even those if restores are triggered unnecesarily... Eg I have 4 machines and 2 tablet PC's with another 2 LCD thin clients in the post ($65 each !!)... Obviously I dont install MJ on all of them and Glissando is my main interface for simple listening but once you factor in that I have 3 active partitions on my desktop and 2 on my HTPC it all adds up to a lot of room to burn through registrations...

EG does repartitioning ?? Restoring a disk image of a partition ?? New processor ?? What is this locked to in general ??

Sorry if its in the FAQ but I did not see it...  

Also am I correct in believing that if I have saved the purchase page and register from that I am not using a restore ?? only requesting a new licence makes a restore ??
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 07:08:00 am »

From the FAQ:

Q: Doesn't this cost me a restore? When am I charged a restore?
A: You only use a restore when you enter your registration code on the restore page. Entering your email address does not cost a restore. Using your installation key does not cost a restore.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 07:15:43 am »

Thanks John, i had read that but I was unsure what "Using your installation key" meant... I think i am right in my belief that I can happily go on (infinitely) clicking that link on the saved webpage that came after purchasing to register without having a 'restore'...

Whats the jackanory on changing computer names or rebuilding new partitions (I ghost drives as much as weekly if there is lots of stuff to test)... Just trying to get a clear picture... Answer as and when convienient...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up