INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: weird podcast problem  (Read 1102 times)

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
weird podcast problem
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:25:33 am »

I'm subscribed to the following podcast:

http://internetradio.vrt.be/podcast/Radio2/rss-21_raad.xml

In the XML the files mentioned are mp3 files.
When I download them via MC, MC makes it .MPEG extension, now I cannot copy this to my iPod nano because this file type is not supported.

On the most of my subscribed podcasts the icon in the list is changed from audio to MPEG
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re: weird podcast problem
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:59:45 am »

nobody else has this problem ?

Gene

• Recent member
  • Mountains Speak to Me
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:47:09 pm »

I'm subscribed to the following podcast:

http://internetradio.vrt.be/podcast/Radio2/rss-21_raad.xml

In the XML the files mentioned are mp3 files.
When I download them via MC, MC makes it .MPEG extension, now I cannot copy this to my iPod nano because this file type is not supported.

On the most of my subscribed podcasts the icon in the list is changed from audio to MPEG

I have been having trouble with episodes whose URL ends with an unhelpful extension like *.php.   So I put in a change on Friday allowing the feed MIME type to override the URL extension.  I currently use the MIME to extension entry in the Windows registry to do the translation.

The feed you reference works for me (I get *.mp3 files) so I'm guessing that your registry associates audio/mpeg with *.mpeg.  This could be the result of an installation bug in another application....

Could you fire up "regedit" (use start->run and type in regedit) and check the key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/mpeg]

Under that key, the value "Extension" should be ".mp3".  I'm guessing that on your machine the value of Extension is ".mpeg".

If this is true, then please change the value to ".mp3" and try downloading the problem episodes again.  If I am right, it should then work correctly.

Be careful using regedit to change only this one key!   A couple random entries in regedit can really mess up your system!

It's possible that lots of people have messed-up registry entries.  If that is true, then I guess I will have to put in a hard-coded table.  That's less flexible, but Media Center must work correctly!  :)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 02:37:38 pm »

That does the trick, thx,

at my PC at work (a brand new Dell, just installed), I had the same problem

Pages: [1]   Go Up