INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's With ", & " In Posts?  (Read 2205 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
What's With ", & " In Posts?
« on: September 24, 2002, 09:26:35 am »

Every since this new forum started, many of my posts that have a single or double quote ' or " in them such as... Don't, We'll, I'II & etc produce some strange numbers in the final posts.  The original text looks ok in Word.

What's going on?

The text above was origianlly done in this forum.

The text below was origianlly done in Word & pasted to this forum.

As a long time file manager user (Explorer, Power Desk, PC Tool Navigator & others) I like the direction the left menu is going as it makes me feel “right at home” & is very Windows “intuitive”.  Don’t change it, but add to it (if possible).

There are a few small areas that I would like to see “cleaned up”, namely…

* The double use of the ‘Import Media”.  It’s in both the File & Tools menus.  Only one is needed.  This is a small thing, but every small thing helps to “clean up” MJ & make for a less confusing interface (and we ALL know how confusing MJ was when we first starting using it).

* I started with MJ 7.2 but felt uncomfortable with it & continued to use Real JukeBox 2.0 for some time.  Maybe it’s time to think about implementing a three-tier user interface (Beginner, Experienced, & Advanced or Power User levels) to make MJ more 9/24/20029/24/2002‘palatable” to the new user.  As I gained experience with media players, I finally upgraded to RealOne Player but was unhappy with it as it simply did not provide the level of custom ability that I wanted.  That’s when I got rid of Real & started using MJ 8 (the skins & the ‘power’ aspect of MJ is what finally did it for me).  But if I was a novice user, I never would have attempted to use MJ as the interface was a little bit ‘too much’.  I believe the three-tier user interface would resolve this issue for the new user.

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: What's With ", & " In Posts?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 11:05:25 am »

What’s up? ‘jayeet yet? “this is not proper English”
What’s up? ‘jayeet yet? “this is not proper English”

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 11:55:55 am »

We're gonna have to live with it for a while. It looks like YABB has no solution yet.

j

sekim

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 05:04:19 pm »

I typed this in notepad. Just want to see if there is a difference.

I typed this in notepad. Just want to see if there is a difference. &*65ejgfhdp23:'j' "l"

sekim

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 05:10:09 pm »

Sorry for the above. I think part of it is Word and html. Word tends to do bad things to html. If you try and make a web page, most pros suggest just using Notepad, or NoteTab. A search of google will get you NoteTab. It is a very useful editor.

Next time you want to paste something try Notepad included in Windows. It should go without a hitch.

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 07:00:06 pm »

As suggested by Machinehead, I am trying something written in Note Tab, converted to HTML, copied, then pasted below.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="generator" CONTENT="NoteTab Pro">
<TITLE>*** Your Title Here ***</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P>This is a test using Note Tab with the text converted to HTML</P>

<P>There's it's Helen's.</P>

<P>Now to see what that looks like in Interact.</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>
...happy to be among such a great bunch of members. Holden

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 07:03:37 pm »

? Yes, please excuse the above post. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing.

Is my error readily apparent to anyone? Help.

Holden
...happy to be among such a great bunch of members. Holden

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 09:50:16 pm »

I dont think the forum SW supports HTML inside posts...

I have noticed that ost of the formatting is the same code as UBB script and VB code so I am cool with that...

Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

sekim

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2002, 01:16:07 am »

Holden,

Don't convert to html. Just copy and paste.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2002, 06:58:11 am »

I think part of it is Word and html.

It is word, but it isn't html (I think). When you type a single quote/apostrophe key in Word, it converts it to a left single quote or right single quote character, depending on the context.  The ascii value for these are 8 bits (>128) and YABB does some translation on them to produce the &#8221; stuff. (The 221 is the value of the character in octal I think). If you type an apostrophe in NotePad you just get the normal 7 bit ascii for apostrophe.

j

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2002, 11:15:48 am »

Thanks everyone!!! ;D

Yeh... I know it's Word.  Any thing typed in Word with ' or " causes the problem when copied & pasted into the forum.

I also saved the Word file as a text file (*.TXT) & brought it up in Notepad, then copied & pasted to the forum but had the same strange numbers showing up.

I looked at the hidden formatting in the Word document but saw nothing within the words that had ' or " in them.

Seems to be a very hidden formatting problem deep inside Word.  Now would be a nice time for the Reveal Codes that Word Perfect uses to really see what's going on.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up