INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing weirdness with 11.1.162 and Rio Karma  (Read 3486 times)

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Syncing weirdness with 11.1.162 and Rio Karma
« on: February 01, 2006, 06:55:25 pm »

I haven't entirely made sense of what's going on with my syncing problems...so maybe this picture will explain things better than I can write them:

http://www.flook.org/temp/mc.png

I've only had this Rio Karma for a few days and have only ever used it with MC 11.1. I've tried the last 3 or 4 builds and have experienced strange syncing problems. Here are all the details I can provide:

• I have 4 playlists in a playlist group called "Mobile" that are set to sync to the Karma
  • The total numer of songs in the 4 playlists is 546
  • After a fresh "initialize" of the Karma and a fresh sync, the Karma has 504 songs on it
  • Immediately re-viewing the Karma in MC, 430 of my songs in the queue are set to "delete on sync" from device
  • 457 songs are shown as "in queue"
  • 76 songs are shown as "on device"
  • Two of the albums on the Karma (one by Björk and one by Broadcast) have received strange characters in the mp3 tags and file name (see screenshot)
  • All of the files on the Karma show the path as "Rio Karma\songname.mp3", having stripped the artist name from my file names
  • I have "delete from handheld any files not in sync list" enabled
  • The Karma has the latest 1.68 firmware and the XP driver is properly installed

What's going on?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Syncing weirdness with 11.1.111 and Rio Karma
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:36:39 pm »

It's putting two bytes (0x00FF) in front of some tag values.  We're not sure why this would be.

If you can browse the device, look at the file MC.dic at the root.  This is an XML database of what MC thinks is on the device.  If it's there, email a copy to matt @ jriver.com.  It may give us a clue.

Thanks.

(p.s. your screenshot says "Media Jukebox" in the playerbar.... that's strange too)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Syncing weirdness with 11.1.111 and Rio Karma
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 02:55:27 pm »

I'm confused about the two bytes MC is appending too. I initially assumed it was a character issue with the Björk tag, but the Broadcast album has no non-standard English characters in its tags.

I don't think there's any way I can browse the Karma files. It's not a mass-storage device as it requires its own driver to work in XP. I only installed this driver and not the full-blown Rio Music Manager app.

Is it normal that the file names on the device get changed to songname.mp3? I was concerned that MC based part of its sync comparisons on file names, but since you've brought up the XML file, that probably isn't an issue. Let me know if there's any other way I can try to diagnose this for you guys...

Oh, and I should have mentioned that the "Media Jukebox" text is intentional. I changed the text there and renamed my MC shortcuts because I'm stubborn and still like the Jukebox name better. I'm also running a Windows Media Center PC, so things were just getting too confusing. :)

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Syncing weirdness with 11.1.162 and Rio Karma
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:21:51 pm »

I've ignored this problem for the past 20 builds or so, but it still persists. My Karma was off to Rio for the past few weeks receiving a new hard drive because the first one died...and now I'm back to MC 11.1.162 and the same syncing problems as detailed in my first post and this screenshot:
http://www.flook.org/temp/mc.png

MC still insists on queuing all my tracks for deletion and then re-syncing them. It still appends the strange character in front of my Bjork and Broadcast songs. It still only syncs 504 songs out of the 551 in my "sync" playlist. Any ideas? I refuse to give up on my Karma...I already ditched an iPod for it.  :-\

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:04:16 pm »

Try doing "Redetect Devices" in MC's options for handhelds.  That's a WMDM device and MC should handle it fine.

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:37:32 pm »

Just re-detected it...and the sync queue still wants to "delete on sync" 427 files and queue 474 files (plus 77 others showing "on device"). I still can't make much sense of what it's trying to do. 427 + 77 is 504, the total amount of songs on the device, but I'm not sure why it only queues 474 to be re-synced...or why it's re-syncing them to begin with. Even if I turn off "delete from handheld any files not in sync list", it still tells me 504 files are "on device" and 474 are "in queue".

I've only done one full sync as I just received my fixed Karma with a blank hard drive. I haven't tried the latest 168 build yet, but it doesn't appear to change any handheld functionality from what I've read.

?

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 02:12:44 pm »

I tried the latest build 171 with no improvements.

RobbieG

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:45:30 am »

I have an iRiver H10 20gb, and I experience the same problem.  For some reason, every time I sync it, it has about 200 files listed to "delete on sync" and then to be put back on "in queue."  It seems to be the same files every time.  This really stinks because it adds about 20 minutes to every sync.

RobbieG

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 10:49:52 pm »

Anyone else have this issue of media center wanting to redownload the same songs every time you want to sync?

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 04:34:43 pm »

I'm still having this problem running MC 12.0.116 with my Rio Karma. Bummer.  :'(

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 10:46:31 am »

That's the prob I am having with MC12 and Karma..

• The total numer of songs is 546
  • After a fresh "initialize" of the Karma and a fresh sync, the Karma has 504 songs on it
  • Immediately re-viewing the Karma in MC, 430 of my songs in the queue are set to "delete on sync" from device
  • 457 songs are shown as "in queue"
  • 76 songs are shown as "on device"

What's going on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up