INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting voice audio tapes to mp3  (Read 1412 times)

josephj

• may force be with you ....
Converting voice audio tapes to mp3
« on: June 18, 2003, 02:43:59 am »

Just bought MJ8 and installed on my computer. Now I am trying to use Record Sound function to transfer my tapes (voice only no music) to low quality mp3. I am using quality 32 in MP3 Encoder to save on space and I am getting about 12 MB files per 60 minutes recording with reasonably good sound quality. So far so good   ;D ;D ;D

Now I am trying to use the editor to edit these files, splice them , cut out silent spaces normalize and improve sound, etc and everything works fine to a point when I try to save the result. I can save it O.K to .wav format which makes a 144 MB file out of a 12 MB mp3.

Then I try to save it back to mp3 but the result is compressed in time (and size) by a factor of 4 compared to the original mp3. So I get back a 3MB  mp3 file which is only 15 minutes long and it plays 4 times faster.
I tried every possible combination of output quality without any effect on this speed compression.

Anybody knows how to force this thing to maintain its duration of 60 minutes and normal playback speed? ? ? ? ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Converting voice audio tapes to mp3
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 03:59:20 am »

Try it at a higher bit rate to see if that works.

josephj

• may force be with you ....
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 01:13:41 am »

O.K. I spent a few hours tonight playing with the editor and here is what I found:

1) if I rip from tape to .wav format I can then edit the file and save as an mp3 at 32 bit/s for a final result of about 12 MB per hour

2) If I rip from tape to mp3 at 128 bit/s I can then edit it and save as an mp3 at 32 bit/sec with reasonable quality and correct playback speed

3) If I rip from tape to mp3 at any number lower than 128 bit/s I cannot save it to mp3 at lower bit/s because the playback speed changes. So even 64 b/s mps original "Saved As" 64 b/s mps with the same or different name will change the speed.

I found a rather convoluted way around it which is to take mp3 recorded at lower speed and Save As a .wav file. Then do edits of the . wav file and save it again as
.wav file. Then Save As the .wav to  Windows Media format at 128 b/s. Then open this new Windows Media file and Save As mp3 at 32 b/s. And presto the final mp3 sounds better than the original mp3 and magically plays back at the correct speed.
It took me 3 hours to find this one but at least saved myself about 30 hours of rerecording already ripped tapes.  :o :o :o :o

So maybe this will help somebody else having this problem.  8) 8) 8) 8)

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 06:49:24 am »

:D

I hope you help some one but it sure the heck confused the heck out of me  ? ?

why are you doing the ripping that way.

i just tape from line in and save as a 44 16 hrz pcm wav.

then use which ever  wave editor i  decide to use that i have.  and get rid of the blank space.  but i always leave 2 seconds of it on the front and end of the song.

i have found that defragmenting the system messes up the song if there is no blank space on the ends.

( at least on my computer it does.)

but then i have a good loud file i can use with which ever encoder program i have that is working at the time.  to encode them to the ogg or mp3.  

i do how ever use 128 bits as the lowest amount and 320 bits for the highest on my files.   but that is just my tastes.

so for the voice only you can set the lowest for 96 bits and the highest for 128 bits.  that will give the encoder the choice and it should not  make a file that speeds up that way.

now mind you i said  should?  which is to mean it can do what it wants.  and if you know murpheys law.  then that too applys  ;D

roving cowboy / keith hall
Pages: [1]   Go Up