INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcast / Perbcast Publishing  (Read 10375 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Podcast / Perbcast Publishing
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:03:31 am »

Important News -- We've developed a way to broadcast your playlists as podcasts.  Since it's a form of Personal Broadcasting, we've called these perbcasts.  More below.

Jim

When I first heard about Podcasting, it seemed like nothing very new.  (I had more or less the same reaction when I saw the first Mosaic browser in the early 1990's!)

What's the big deal?  It's just a downloadable playlist. 

Maybe it's the package that makes a difference.  All neat XML, with links to any media inside.  A simple way to put together a "program" (we call it an episode in MC) and advertise your "station" (we call it a feed).

A couple of weeks ago, I heard about Rocketboom ( http://www.rocketboom.com ).  Somebody had an episode on a video iPod and showed it to me at dinner.  He's on the right in this picture:
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2006/mexico/DSC00268.JPG

Rocketboom is making the transition from Podcasting to Broadcasting.  They sold their ad space on ebay:

Automated teller-machine maker TRM has won Rocketboom's eBay auction; it'll pay $40,000 for five 15-second mentions during the week of March 6.

Full article here: http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002034874

This all clicked with me.  I've been thinking for the last few months that podcasting may be the foundation for a new way of enjoying media.  With a portable device like an iPod it delivers the dream of being able to enjoy any media, anytime, anywhere.

So what are we doing with this?  We've been working on the ability to publish podcasts (now functional but not released).  We registered a couple of domains: personalbroadcasting.com and perbcast.com.

The future will let you make playlists of any media type and publish them with a few clicks, so anyone who has a podcast-capable player can view them.  An hour of music, a video, or a list of pictures, with a soundtrack.

The same technology has the potential to deliver the equivalent of today's ordinary radio or TV.

So, my questions are these.  Do you currently use anything to publish podcasts?  What software do you use?  What do you publish?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Podcast / Perbcast Publishing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:42:06 am »

Is no one doing any podcasting?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13:57 pm »

you never know, perhaps once you get this one out the door, we'll all be doing it.

I wonder if everyone's simply in pause mode, waiting to see where you're going to go with this?

I, for one, am just a little apprehensive atm.

Sure, who wouldn't 'click' with a $40,000 carrot? Thing is, I abhor advertising with a vengeance. Well, not all advertising, force-fed advertising. It's why I like the BBC.

If you're telling me I will be able to publish a 'broadcast' of my latest photos on a webpage on my site, and members of my family can go there and view them, then you might pique my interest. If, on the other hand, we'll all be forced through perbcast.com or similar, I can pretty safely say I won't use it. I'm not saying "not ever" because there's no info on offer atm, so who knows?

Perhaps you would get more response if you offered more detail?

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 02:51:09 pm »

Well, I think that most of us are just lazy.  Plus, we're old.  We're old and lazy.  And our feet hurt.  There's always plenty of reasons for not doing something--why do you think the world is in the shape it's in?  Honestly, JimH!

As for somebody else doing podcasting and me getting it through MC, well,  let's hear some deets!  Who, what, when, where?  And how--advertising?  I'm getting the cold shivers, JimH.  I'd rather you came up with a mini-player that I could feed all that stuff through, ads and all.  I don't want it in my MC; at least give me an option to pay extra to avoid it.

I thought that first little bit you did with 11.1.029, where you played related images to playing songs was really interesting--I just wanted more control over where the pix were coming from and what kind of data was exchanged for them, along with the ability to turn it off.  I think the perbs are a great idea, too.  As for starting an online channel--gosh, JimH, that sounds like effort!  I'm going to sit down for a bit and think about that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 05:34:17 pm »

How easy could it be?

Choose a playlist and tell MC to "Broadcast" it:

Then any user can visit our web page directory to add it as a Podcast subscription:

Off the couch, jgreen!  Right now!  Go outside and play.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 07:36:09 pm »

Rocketboom is making the transition from Podcasting to Broadcasting.  They sold their ad space on ebay:

Full article here: http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002034874

This all clicked with me.  I've been thinking for the last few months that podcasting may be the foundation for a new way of enjoying media.  With a portable device like an iPod it delivers the dream of being able to enjoy any media, anytime, anywhere.

Why do you think Rocketboom is making the transition from Podcasting to Broadcasting?  Podcasting is *just* a manner of distribution but it's pull instead of the old push (which is what I think of when "broadcasting").  I haven't heard Amanda was going to change the distribution model...

Adding the ability to create podcasts from existing media (which is really just the simple process of creating an RSS feed and putting the enclosure in the right place) is an interesting concept.  Traditional podcasters (if there is such a thing) are all about the process of creating the media (i.e. recording and compiling) and the creationg of the RSS feed is something that's done behind the scenes.  There are lots of apps that already do this - castblaster, odeo, etc.

Are you suggesting MC will let me host podcasts?  Which is to say, MC will host my media files and automatically create the RSS feed to point to the items?

I think there's a lot of potential to RSS...  some say it might even replace e-mail.  But I don't understand MC's niche in the business.  Can you explain in more detail without giving away any secrets?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 08:44:18 pm »

Why do you think Rocketboom is making the transition from Podcasting to Broadcasting?  Podcasting is *just* a manner of distribution but it's pull instead of the old push (which is what I think of when "broadcasting"). 
A broadcast pushes content out the same way Amanda does.  It's your decision whether to pull it down (change the channel or subscribe), isn't it?  I freely admit the whole question still makes my head spin.
Adding the ability to create podcasts from existing media (which is really just the simple process of creating an RSS feed and putting the enclosure in the right place) is an interesting concept.  Traditional podcasters (if there is such a thing) are all about the process of creating the media
A recording is a recording is a recording.  It doesn't matter if it's a TV show, a movie, Amanda on Rocketboom, or a track off a CD.  It's just a media file enclosure in an RSS feed.
Are you suggesting MC will let me host podcasts?  Which is to say, MC will host my media files and automatically create the RSS feed to point to the items?
Yes.
I think there's a lot of potential to RSS...  some say it might even replace e-mail.  But I don't understand MC's niche in the business.  Can you explain in more detail without giving away any secrets?
Here's a link:  pcast://www.perbcast.com/cgi-bin/Get.cgi?Author=Bob Brose&Title=onetune

( You'll first have to set MC's file associations to be on for podcasts, which includes the pcast filetype above. )

The podcast you'll get from that link was generated by the method I described above -- right clicking on a playlist and choosing "Broadcast".  MC builds the rss file and uploads it to our directory server.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 10:54:42 pm »

A broadcast pushes content out the same way Amanda does.  It's your decision whether to pull it down (change the channel or subscribe), isn't it?  I freely admit the whole question still makes my head spin.A recording is a recording is a recording.

OK...  but RSS is clearly a *pull* technology.  There's no push to it, unlike broadcasting.  Subscription is unique because it describes attention (which is a topic that we could talk about over a case or keg of beer).  Broadcasting doesn't describe attention, which is why Neilson has a position in the business.

The podcast you'll get from that link was generated by the method I described above -- right clicking on a playlist and choosing "Broadcast".  MC builds the rss file and uploads it to our directory server.

Good music.  Is it podsafe?  I think I understand:  you'll let me publish and anyone can subscribe.  But then comes the question:  how do you protect licensing?

And then there's the bottom line:  how are you going to monetize the process?  Is my MC license enough?  If so, I think this is great because it will let me enjoy my music anytime, anywhere.  But I'm guessing there will some problems with rights.

I'd love to hear more...

Ray-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 01:09:46 pm »

OK...  but RSS is clearly a *pull* technology. 
I still have difficulty seeing the distinction.  Isn't it similar to subscribing to cable?  I'm pulling 100 channels.  They push the ones I want to me.  I may or may not watch them.

With podcasts, I subscribe to ones I want.  I may or may not watch them.

What matters (to me) with both is that I can get what I want.  Podcasts widen the spectrum of offerings.
There's no push to it, unlike broadcasting.  Subscription is unique because it describes attention (which is a topic that we could talk about over a case or keg of beer). 
I'll buy.  ;)
Good music.  Is it podsafe? 
Good question.  I just tried transferring the three tracks.  The first and third play as podcasts.  The second doesn't because it's in MPC format.
I think I understand:  you'll let me publish and anyone can subscribe. 
Correct.
But then comes the question:  how do you protect licensing?
That's a big subject.  I don't have a perfect answer.  There are things we can do ("report this content" or artist, track filtering or limited circles of sharing, etc) but there are always ways around most methods.  It is, however, a problem for which we're probably not responsible.  If we sell someone a car and they rob a bank with it, who committed the crime?  But you're correct to focus on this problem.  It's the really ugly one.
And then there's the bottom line:  how are you going to monetize the process?  Is my MC license enough? 
At this time, it's enough.  In the future, I think we may be able to give you a choice between free (with ads) or an annual fee.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 04:05:22 pm »

http://www.perbcast.com/

testing testing 123

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »

Ok the host name could be the ip address

should be working now..
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:02:46 pm »

It is!  Thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 06:22:30 pm »

Perb Cast Guide For Tonight

180 Commercials From The Early Days Of Radio

And

217 Episodes Of Chicken Man
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 05:04:06 am »

gezz no new messages?

Anyhow

To: JRiver

It Looks Like The PerbCast Server (A Podcast Like Server) Ran All Night With No Problems.

Too bad I don't know how many people used it.

I did notice even when you stop the server, it will not take it off the perbcast page, once you close MC then it is removed.

When It was running, I changed the name of some things and started it now as of this writing i have two shows running when it should be only one.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 05:27:53 am »

Perbcast Server Setup:

Firewall Setup: This Is Microsofts "Windows Onecare Firewall"

Router Setup:

You Need To Turn On Port Forwarding For The Port You Use In The Firewall, Directed To the Correct Computer In Your Local Network.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 05:40:18 am »

For Some Reason Perbcast Shows Up As 2/7/2036 In Itunes
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 09:16:52 am »

We're starting to make the perbcast work visible in the latest builds.  You can find out more here:

http://www.perbcast.com
and see what it does here:
http://www.perbcast.com/cgi-bin/List.cgi

A new thread on network issues is here:
http://www.perbcast.com/network.html

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 09:22:46 am »

There seems a lot of broken links on http://www.perbcast.com/cgi-bin/List.cgi?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 09:30:54 am »

There seems a lot of broken links on http://www.perbcast.com/cgi-bin/List.cgi?
We know.  Thanks.  It will get steadily prettier.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 11:20:48 am »

version 1.0.2 is ready.  Requires MC11.1.146

1) Changed: some improvement to network error message reporting.
2) Fixed: newer versions of MC would crash with the old plug-in.

More fixes coming this afternoon.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 12:02:27 pm »

installed 1.0.2

MC crashed, and will not allow MC to start

it just keeps crashing...
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 12:03:49 pm »

Turn off Media Server if it's running.

Right now, you have to stop the perbcast server or exit MC to install the plug-in.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 12:22:11 pm »

Try updating MC to build 146.  The version of the plug-in and the version of MC need to match.  That should fix it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 12:36:10 pm »

should be working again....

But perbcast still has me in the perbcast list two times

one for last night (the crusty Clown) and the new one the old radio

the play list testing 1, 2, 3, 4

was stoped

it was still there

then i deleted it

and it is still there

re-boot MC, it is still there like a friday the 13th movie "Jason Working Overtime Part 25"
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 12:47:24 pm »

The crash was caused by an interface change and because we don't build the plug-in at the same time as Media Center. This won't happen again, sorry...

If the PerbCast server crashes, the Directory thinks it is still there. I'm guessing that is why Crusty the Clown refused to die. I'll fix this soon, but there are other things that are more important. For now, I axed poor Crusty by hand :)

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 01:06:30 pm »

I axed poor Crusty by hand

Ok,  ;D

What Happened Is i edited the info and when I started the new one "Radio" was created, but crusty was still there, I never stopped. the orginal perbcast untill i got done creating the new one.

there was no crash at that point.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 03:45:55 pm »

1.0.3 ready, requires MC 11.1.146

It has cleaner networking error messages.

See www.perbcast.com for the link.  Stop your server before installing.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 06:52:58 pm »

03/16/06 19:48:56 - There is a problem with your Avatar.
The following text is what is returned when trying to access:
 An Error Occurred
500 Can't connect to www.spartaotr.com:80 (connect: Invalid argument)

This error was caused because it seems like my provider has one of my sites down.

maybe once this error happens have perbcast use a default Perbcast avatar
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 07:03:59 pm »

Could Not Boot Up MC

I had to disable perbcast it in the registry to get mc to stay running.

this is with mc 11.1.147

Tried it again MC 11 Crash
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 09:00:46 pm »

It's working.  I'm listening to Chickenman with a big grin on my face.  Thanks!

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2006, 12:55:05 am »

I cannot remember what I did to cause this, but things were going somewhat okay for me.  I created a slideshow playlist and broadcasted it to perbcast.com.  I had some of the options incorrect, (for instance, I originally forgot to put in my ip address) and then I was playing around with firewall and router settings so I could download my images through the podcast, and it was not working.  Then suddenly, MC crashed and now everytime I start up MC, it crashes in like two seconds.

How do I get it running again?

Micah

UPDATE:  I was able to get it to stop crashing by rolling back to build .145 and then reinstalling build .147.  Things seem to be working now.  But I have been watching the Perbcast Server and it seems that the files are accessed every 60 seconds.  Each minute I get the following message for each file in the playlist:

Code: [Select]
03/17/06 02:18:15 - Sharing (without conversion): G:\Micah's Documents\My Pictures\Pride 01\DCP_1716.JPG
03/17/06 02:18:15 - Received request for file: G:\Micah's Documents\My Pictures\Pride 01\DCP_1716.JPG

Should this be repeating every 60 seconds?  Even after I deleted the podcast from MC, it was still happening.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2006, 07:08:43 am »

Right now, MC uploads the list every 60 seconds.  That's what you're seeing.  This will change soon.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2006, 08:05:55 am »

Still playing...  and I provide detailed feedback later.  But for now, a quick suggestion:  provide visual indication on the tree that a playlist is being "broadcast".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2006, 08:31:53 am »

We'll do that soon. 

It seems that your firewall or your router may not be allowing a connection to the machine from which you're broadcasting.  The network issues page here has more on this:

www.perbcast.com

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 08:43:17 am »

You can get a description to show with your podcast if you add it to the original playlist where it says "Add notes here".

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 11:11:42 am »

It's working.  I'm listening to Chickenman with a big grin on my face.  Thanks!

no it continues to crash MC

and as of 8:03 pm last night it has not been running. (thats when i got the last crash)

I just tried again still crashing mc
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 11:16:34 am »

Hi King,

Reinstall 11.1.147 and DON'T install the plugin from my home page.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 11:34:44 am »

ok, not crashing now

Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 02:38:25 pm »

Version 1.0.4 will be available in MC build 11.1.148 or higher.

1. Fixed: Deleting a playlist would not remove the playlist from the server.
2. Fixed: Changing a playlist updates the server immediately.
3. Fixed: Broadcasting a playlist updates the server immediately.
4. Changed: Version control added to PerbCaster/DIrectory communication. Older version of the PerbCaster plug-in will stop working this evening.

j

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 02:01:48 pm »

I've done a podcast before (I prefer to call it an Audiocast...podcasting is too product specific for me) and am interested in continuing it.  It's called digital late night and is listed in the iTunes directory.  Homepage is http://marcoe.net/digitallatenight/, which has a self-review of the file and links to all the songs that I play.  They're all freely obtained and free to consume (podsafe, as it were).

Perbcasting appeals to me (especially since I can't get King's podcast plugin to work...help?).  Does perbcasting only work through MC?  That would be my primary concern.  Well, and the name.  How about PubCasting, for Public Broadcasting?  And the connotation that you should have a pint in hand while listening? Heh.

I have a perbcast up, but it doesn't seem to want to stream yet.  I've forwarded the port...but no luck yet...Hmm...

I'm interested to see how this feature evolves.

Paul

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 03:14:10 pm »

I've done a podcast before (I prefer to call it an Audiocast...podcasting is too product specific for me) and am interested in continuing it.

You mean too generic?  Podcasts might rightfully include anything that can be consumed on an iPod or some other PMP (portable media player).  For certain, podcasts include audio, video, and photo.

I agree the name might need some work...  but JRiver might not move on that considering they've already registered a domain name.  Anything similar to podcast would work - pubcast (if it's public!) makes sense.  I don't like the "b" in perbcast.

Perbcasting is simply a method for creating (and updating) the RSS and hosting it on JRiver's server.  The rest (consumption!) happens directly from your server - which is why you need to forward the port through your router to your server (which is JRiver listening on the port).

I don't see your perbcast listed...  is it showing up on http://www.perbcast.com/cgi-bin/List.cgi?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2006, 04:16:57 pm »

I have a perbcast up, but it doesn't seem to want to stream yet.  I've forwarded the port...but no luck yet...Hmm...
Did you also open up the firewall on the perbcast port you're using.  TCP in both directions.

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2006, 04:24:41 pm »

I had the MC closed.  Sorry.  I can get the listing, but the streaming fails.

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2006, 04:31:12 pm »

Ok, I'm a moron.  I forgot to set the hostname in the perbcast options.  All set now.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2006, 04:32:04 pm »

I had the MC closed.  Sorry.  I can get the listing, but the streaming fails.

The "streaming" fails because you did not set up the URI for your "server".  In the RSS, the <enclosure> tag references "http://10.0.0.1:11180/Content/..."  Fix the hostname in the the PerbCast Server Options' "hostname".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2006, 04:33:15 pm »

You need to set your options again.  The IP address is wrong.  It should be the outside IP address of your router.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2006, 04:35:08 pm »

You need to set your options again.  The IP address is wrong.  It should be the outside IP address of your router.

Yup...  you have "http://192.168.0.5".  That isn't publicly routable.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2006, 04:39:25 pm »

You need to set your options again.  The IP address is wrong.  It should be the outside IP address of your router.

But "http://marcoe.net:11180/Content/..." works fine!

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2006, 04:41:24 pm »

Heheh.  Of course.   I changed it anyway.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2006, 05:14:14 pm »

If you're not already doing it, run Media Server (Tools, Advanced Tools).  That will still keep the perbcast server plug-in running when you exit from MC.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up