INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System tray icon  (Read 1602 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
System tray icon
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:15:29 am »

I'm using Windows XP Pro. I went into the Taskbar properties, clicked Hide Inactive Icons and then Customize to say keep Media Center as "Always Show". At some time in the future, it will get set back to Hide When Inactive. I'm guessing this is when I install a new beta but would think that the setting would be in the Past Items and after the install would be back to normal. Since it's not, just a guess that Windows is looking at something other than the name for the setting.

Does anybody have a clue as to why this is happening and how I can always make Media Center "Always Show" in the system tray? I even went looking for a freeware tool to help out but couldn't find anything.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff

udeups

• World Citizen
Re: System tray icon
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:03:00 pm »

I've noticed this too, and think the issue is that the MC icon changes its name based on which song is playing. I think Windows uses the icon name in its Always Show/Hide logic. When the name changes, due to a new song, XP sees this as a different icon than what you told it to always show. It then goes back to the default logic on when to hide it.

I'm just guessing based on my observations. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will ome along and help.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 06:15:29 pm »

SAME HERE!  Confirmed.  Thanks for posting this, I kept meaning too....

Bluesman

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:28:58 pm »

I've had a similar problem with the speaker icon in Win XP Pro, not always showing when it's set to "Always Show"
I read in a magazine it's a known problem with the win XP tray. I followed one of their suggestions which was-
To go to My Network Places and in the left hand pane under network Tasks click on "Hide icons for Networked UPnP devices" apparently this can upset the tray. You may have to toggle away from the classic view to see this option.
Don't ask me why , but it worked for me, and I'm not however, saying it will work for you!

Edit: I think what I described is a different problem(to do with tray icons in general), as previously suggested, MC keeps changing the name and when not playing has <no title> in there.
Is there any other music besides Blues?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 02:03:01 am »

you need to set the "always show" option in the taskbar properties window while MC is inactive.

you will notice that if you open the taskbar properties window while a track is playing, MC is listed in the "name" column with the current track details.
windows will treat this, and all other tracks, as seperate instances.
stop playback, and then you will see it in the list as simply "media center 11" and this is the one you want to set to "always show"
It might not stop it from auto-hiding completely, but should go a long way towards reducing the shyness of the tray icon.
The theory being that the track will change (and so too the tray icon) before windows decides it's time to hide it, and when nothing is playing, windows should not hide the icon.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 08:30:15 am »

I've always set it to show when nothing is playing and still it disappears eventually. Maybe MC can change something to keep it  where we want it.  ?
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:33:05 am »

MC keeps changing the name and when not playing has <no title> in there.
Are you using any third party plug-ins?
Pages: [1]   Go Up