INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for RCA Lyra MP3 Players  (Read 5512 times)

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
Support for RCA Lyra MP3 Players
« on: June 15, 2003, 08:40:35 pm »

;D 8)

for those of you wondering out there about this mp3 player and if it is supported by mjb8, before you buy it.

answer is no.

reason is,  not any need to support it.

RCA Lyra  Mp3 player comes with cdrom of software which include the usb drivers for windows, and music management programs.

Now for the Important  Part.  THEIR  management program is  ( the hated by me. " musicmatch jukebox")

on thier software cdrom, and manual.  they tell you about 25 different places and times  that you should install the musicmatch trash program.

DON'T DO IT.

it is not needed.   as if you were to read the pages in the book they give you.  you will see that they tell you in only ONE place that you can just use the IE and drag and drop song files to the  RCA Lyra  player.  

and that is why it is not needed to be supported by mjb8.  or any other  jukebox.  
roving cowboy / keith hall

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Support for RCA Lyra MP3 Players
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 09:40:43 am »

RovingCowboy,

If you can use explorere to move the files, then you should be able to transfer them from within MJ. Does your Lyra show up as a drive letter in Explorer? If so, then that drive letter should be visible in MJ and then you can access it from MJ for convenience.

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 11:19:03 am »

I have an older Lyra (from mid-2001) and I don't believe you can just drag-and-drop.  The CompactFlash card will show up as a removable drive in WinXP, but there are folders on the card. One of those folders contains the music files, but in the format "mpx" not "mp3".  The files obviously undergo some type of conversion when being loaded.  

I don't think this can be done by simply dragging and dropping in Windows.  If it can be done, I'd love to know how.  I've tried just dragging and dropping the mp3's but the Lyra did not recognize them....maybe this method described above only applies to newer models?  I have one that takes a CF card.  Any more help is appreciated, as I would love to rid my machine of MMJB, which is only still there for transferring to my Lyra!

Thanks
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 11:57:19 am »

crowfan,

Your experience is what I had with an older Lyra.

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 12:17:55 pm »

Well, as mentioned in my other post on the MC9 boards, I'm considering an iPod.....I'll be rid of MMJB any day now!!

Thanks
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 02:26:19 pm »

well the lyra we have is a

RD 1021 /RD1071  it says on the book how new that is i dont know.

but yes the flash card and the player its self will show up as extra drives in the list.

it says you can just drag and drop the files to either if you have a memory card or not.    

if  your using the memory card take it out and see if the  player shows up as a drive?  but i get both to show up.  

but then again i dont have the extra memory card.  so i cant put any on that drive.

it says in the book to check the rca lyra site for up dates maybe you can do that and get the same usb drives i have.  

www.rca.com

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 05:42:39 am »

RovingCowboy,

Can you access the Lyra from within MJ under CD & Handhelds?

Steve

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 06:53:40 am »

;D 8)

sorry steve but i dont know now, as i did the ie way when i loaded the mp3 player up.

now my sister has it at work and who knows when she will get tired of the 31 songs that are on it.  she will listen to one song on an album for 12 hours and when i cant take it anymore and tell her to turn that d.. thing off she says she did not even know it had played more then once.??  

so knowing that it is unforseen how long it will take to get it back here so i can hook it up and try it out again.

but maybe the battery will die and she will bring it back then.

at which time i will see if i can do that for you.  

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 02:04:19 pm »

rovingcowboy,

Sisters, can't live with 'em....

If you can update me when you can that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

jarroyo

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 12:42:26 am »

For what is worth, what you have described is true for MP3 files (or MPX as they are called).  But if you are willing to go with .wma files, you do not have to use their software at all.  All you need is to make sure you create the PMP directory in the CF card and add the WMA.EXE file into it.  Once that is done, you can use MJ to move songs into and out of the card.  Also you can use any CF reader/writer.  I am currently using MJ8 and an PCMCIA card reader for CF and it works like a charm using .wma files.

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 05:19:30 am »

jarroya,

Thanks for the tip.

Steve

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2003, 08:44:23 pm »

;D
good news steve  i got the lyra player back and she bought new ram for it so i was able to check for both the drives in mjb8.  

it found both just like the ie did.

i also checked the mjb8 to see if it would play from the lyra player and it did.  just a little lag time though? must be conversion and transfer through the usb.  ?

did not try the loading of the player from mjb8 because my sister wanted to do the loading of the songs she wants on it now.  so as it is working in taking them from the lyra  i am sure it will put them on it. but since i have the free version yet i am wondering if the tags will be sent.?   i can not convert from ogg to mp3 because it is not doing any encoding but as  the tags show up on the lyra's information from the mp3s i  believe as long as the tags are  already on the mp3's  they will be there. 8)

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2003, 11:48:41 am »

rovingcoowboy,

Thanks for the update, that is good news for people who have Lyras.  In regards to the tags showing up, what you said at the end of your post is accurate.

Please let me know as you test more how it is going.

Thanks again.

Steve

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 10:57:07 am »

;D ;D

ok steve as your request.

i rather my sister did the upload to the lyra player and all was fine the songs loaded from mjb with no trouble.

even tried the ogg files.

it loaded but the mp3 player would not play it.  so it is wasted space if you load them on the lyra.  

but   all else worked fine  even deleted the ogg from the lyra with  mjb  so that works too.

mjb even found the songs and played from  extra stick of ram  for it too.   so the new lyra   mp3 player is good to go with mjb.  

cant test any more on it as i ran out of things to test on it :D 8)

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 02:28:22 pm »

Keith,

Thanks for the update. Seeing as things look good, we will add Lyra to our website as a supported device.

Thanks again for the information.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up