INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Art and folder.jpg  (Read 1948 times)

lockeness

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Album Art and folder.jpg
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:29:37 pm »

I am trying to update some album art and want to store the art in the album folder as a FOLDER file.  I have some folders on my system that already have the album art showing up on the windows file folder, but there is no folder file (i.e. folde.jpg).  I try and view hidden files but they don't show up.  But both J River and manual attempts to put a new FOLDER file into the folder with the art fail.  JR just fails quietly.  In windows explorer it says the file FOLDER already exists, even though its not visible.  I have tried going into the folder properties, but there does not seem to be a way to reset the folder image to blank.  One thing that did work was to create a new folder, move the files to the new folder, delete the old folder and then rename the new folder to the old folder name.  J river didnt notice the difference and I was able to update the album art.  I hope that's not the answer as that will take a really long time to fix.

Any ideas?  Any windows utilities I could use?

wickesy

Re: Album Art and folder.jpg
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 02:15:42 am »

I think Windows classes folder.jpg as a system file.  Try making sure system files are not hidden if you haven't done that already.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 07:48:42 am »

Yep if they are flagged as system files you may not see them even in windows.

If you go to a command prompt navigate to the appropriate directory then do an attrib *.Jpg -s -h -r /s it should flag all Jpg files as visible non-system files.

I think Windows classes folder.jpg as a system file.  Try making sure system files are not hidden if you haven't done that already.

geekbeats2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 03:35:29 am »

Try looking for files named "Thumbs.db" these are the files windows creates within the folder when folder.jpg images are present. The folder youre looking at probably has some older "thumbs.db" file with the missing and corresponding .jpg images.
toe 6 pillow knight Jr l night toothpick kill igloo

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 11:28:43 am »

Lockeness, you can simply go to View tab of your Folder Options control panel, and :

select      "Show hidden files and folders"
  unselect "Hide extensiuons for known file types"
  unselect "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

and click Ok.

Then, the files Folder.jpg, and perhaps some variants created by WMP, will be visible.  You can toss and replace them at will.  You don't need to worry about the Thumbs.db file or desktop.ini files, the will get updated for you.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jjjukebox

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 03:00:52 pm »

I am having a similar problem.

I am using MC11 at rev .145 and I moved my audio files from a mapped folder to a local folder on my C:\ drive. All my audio files (mp3) were originally imported in MC10 and did not have any albums in tags. I originally went through my library and added coverart from Internet search and manually added some.

Because I had no album names all my coverart was in the format:
artistname - .jpg

I have set up my coverart location in options but when I try to add the coverart nothing happens. If I add it manually from file MC does it and when it re-writes the jpg in the format:
artistname.jpg

If I now try to update coverart to other songs from the same artist using the Quick Find In File/Coverart Directory it does not find it even though both formats are now there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have over 10,000 songs.

I have backups for before and after.
Pages: [1]   Go Up