INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MediaCenter version 10 install, Win98se  (Read 7980 times)

jamesr99

MediaCenter version 10 install, Win98se
« on: April 30, 2006, 01:19:42 pm »

Hi:  I  have been running a very stable istall of Win98 for many years.  About a year ago, I upgraded to Win98se via an MS upgrade CD.  Everything is running very well and is very stable,  I am getting no error messages  of any kind.  My son and wife say I should install Media Center V-10 to manage my music files.  I have downloaded the install file (dated 8/9/2004).  When I run the install, I get the message "Media Center 10 install wizard can not run on this version of Microsoft Windows.  Media Center 10 requires Windows 98se or later.  Setup will now abort".  When I go to Microsoft  System Properties, I see that the system is labeled "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Editon 4.10.2222.  So, I clearly have  Win9se installed.  What must I do to install Media Center on this machine.  I am not going to go out and buy a new operating system, as this one has been very stable for me and all of my other software runs correctly under it.

I suspect that some registry entry has not been made to indicate that SE is now installed.  Perhaps there is a different installer that I should run from Media Center that will correctly detect the upgraded version of Win98.

Any help would be greatly appreciated......................JimS

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MediaCenter version 10 install, Win98se
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:54:23 pm »

Please try the download of MC11.1 from our downloads page here:

www.jrmediacenter.com

jamesr99

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 06:05:24 pm »

Hi:

Thanks for the advice to try Mediacenter v11.1.  Unfortunately, the same message came up; only on a different , brownish background.  Somewhere on this 30gig drive is a tiny piece of code that says "Win 98'" instead of "Win 98se".  If I just knew where to add those two bytes of information, Mediacenter would install  just fine. 

I would be grateful for any other suggestions.             ..........Thanks..............JimS

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 06:34:33 pm »

Have you tried updating Windows?  In IE, try "Windows Update".  If your machine is on the Internet, it's a good idea to do it anyway.

CSmith

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:24:09 pm »

I am having the exact same problem under 98SE, and all required updates were installed.

Setup for versions 9-11 give that error message; version 12 just shows an empty dialog box that says "Critical Error" with an "OK" button.

Please tell us what the installer uses to check the Windows version, and how do we work around it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:39:16 pm »

We haven't tested MC12 on Win98 in probably over a year.  It may no longer work.

You could try installing your license again if you have it.

You could try uninstalling, and removing the registry.

If there is a problem with Win98, we won't work on it.  Sorry.

This thread is two years old, by the way. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up