INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP Server "Failed to start" message  (Read 2476 times)

d4ddyo

• Recent member
UPnP Server "Failed to start" message
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:04:51 am »

Hello,

I have a registered version of MC (was 11.1.178 -> just tried the latest beta 11.1.183 with no change in behavior), and I am getting the error "Failed to start..." in the UPnP Server Status screen. It's not giving any indication what the trouble is, and I have tried all of the debug/logging options I can think of - none of which seem to log any of what's going on.

The server was working fine prior to the auto-magic update to 11.1.178, but I am not sure when it actually stopped working. I am using a D-Link DMS-320.

Is there any way to get more information out of MC on why the server is failing to start? I've tried manually setting the port as well (thinking it may be conflicting with some other service on my PC).

Thanks in advance for any help...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: UPnP Server "Failed to start" message
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:09:14 pm »

Firewall? 

Did you check the options?

Does MC have any files imported?

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 12:27:59 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Firewall should not be an issue for me - this is all an internal home network (no XP firewall turned on). I am behind a router/firewall to the internet, but that setup has been constant and this was all working last weekend.

Which options do you mean? I looked over all the UPnP Server options and tried them all (and looked at help).

I have over 6000 files in there. This was working last weekend, and there have been no major updates to my software or hardware since then.

What I would like to know at the moment is if there is a way to see why the server is reporting that it is failing to start. Without more information, we can only be guessing...

BTW - my System Info:
Media Center Registered 11.1.183 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2879 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2095 MB, Free - 1173 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3500AG   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 01:10:10 pm »

Have you checked to make sure you're not using the same port for another piece of software, even an MC server?

Did you try a reboot?

Are you using automatic Windows updates?  That can do odd things sometimes.

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 02:36:58 pm »

Have you checked to make sure you're not using the same port for another piece of software, even an MC server?

Yes - that was one of the first (and few) things I thought to try.

Did you try a reboot?

Yes - as much as I hate to admit it, this still fixes a good many mysterious issues.

Are you using automatic Windows updates?  That can do odd things sometimes.

Yes, I am. I thought of that, too - very possibly the root cause. Is there no way to crank up the debugging/logging levels to see what's causing the server to choke?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 03:50:11 pm »

It's doubtful the server is "choking".  It's most likely that the ports are unavailable.

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 04:38:45 pm »

According to TCPView, I don't have anything listening on port 1447 (the default that appears in UPnP Server). I also tried random ports such as 23456, 54321, 60000 with no luck.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 05:33:30 pm »

Anything other software that could be preventing access?  Windows firewall, etc?

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 07:13:18 pm »

I don't run the Windows firewall. Nothing has been installed recently (since the UPnP server stopped working)

Is it possible to see error messages detailing why it won't start?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 07:19:25 pm »

I don't believe there are any more debugging possibilities other than the log messages.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 11:15:35 am »

Did you try reverting to the older version to see if it starts working again?

j

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 07:51:09 am »

No, not yet. I'll give that a try today. I was hoping there was a way to get more information out of Media Center to help discover why it would not start the UPnP server.

I have a question: should the UPnP server start up regardless of the state of the network? Or, does it need access to the network to even start? Just curious.

Thank you for any help!

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 09:50:38 am »

It should start regardless of the network state (except the "listen" must succeed...). But be warned that it does start advertising immediately, part of the SSDP protocol.

j

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 08:05:23 am »

I tried reverting back to an earlier version of MC 11 (The one I originally downloaded/purchased in march). The UPnP server still did not work, though I did *not* do an un-install first - not sure if that is necessary or not.

It's possible that Windows Update did something that's stopping the server from starting. It's a shame, because I love MC - recommend it to everyone - but I need a server for my DMS-320. Hopefully, I'll have some time later this week to troubleshoot some more. I have some virtual machines I can install in to see if I can get it working at all.

Thanks for your reply, BTW ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 08:06:45 am »

I still believe that the cause may be firewall related.  The port isn't available.

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 08:21:46 am »

I don't have a firewall running. I disabled my anti-virus (Kaspersky) in case that was the issue, but no luck. I also have tried manually setting the port to numerous random ports and re-booting. No luck there, either.

I've also run some port monitoring tools to see which ports are in use on my machine, and there is nothing out of the ordinary - certainly nothing running on the random ports that I have tried.

The only other change I can think of is that I've downloaded a bunch of songs from Napster recently, and imported them into MC. Though, I did try removing all of them from my MC library and that didn't help.

d4ddyo

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 08:10:09 am »

OK, I've had some time to test a couple of things. I just tried uninstalling my antivirus software (Kaspersky), and presto, UPnP is working again. UPnP was working with Kaspersky running previous, but perhaps I changed some setting (nothing I can think of, but it's obviously the cause). I had been running the trial version, then bought the license. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Is there any information or experience with A/V software interference with MC UPnP? Disabling my antivirus is not really an option I want to entertain.

Thanks for any and all responses!
Pages: [1]   Go Up