INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld with different libraries  (Read 1255 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Handheld with different libraries
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:35:23 am »

I have a new smartphone running Windows Mobile 5.0 that gets detected by MC when it's plugged in. Great. I actually figured out how to get it to sync files with it and it works fine with a few problems.

Since the phone has Media Player I figured I would just convert the songs I wanted to low rate WMA files. Not wanting to mix these files in with my normal library and folders, I created a separate location and new library to reflect those. I don't want to convert on the fly since it would take longer.

I usually use a coverart folder but will soon be changing to next to file with artist - song. Media Player will show the cover art if it is folder.jpg so no problem again, I just put all existing cover art as folder.jpg's in the new WMA file locations.

Now the main problem. In order to use the new library effectively, I had to change the Options-File Location - Location Rule to next to file (folder.jpg) and the Base path to the new WMA file location.

After I was done, I switched back to my main library and kind of was hoping that those options were saved per library but alas, they weren't. So anytime I want to use my handheld, I have to change those 2 options and remember to change it back again.

Like I said, I'm new to this handheld stuff, so perhaps there's an easier way to do all this?
Jeff
Jeff

dcwebman

Re: Handheld with different libraries
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 06:58:10 am »

bump

I know there are people out there using handhelds since this is one of the improved features in version 11. Any confirmation that I'm doing what everybody else is doing or a better way to do it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:05:33 am »

You could just have MC convert to WMA on the fly.  The first time it would take some time, but after that, it would just convert new songs added.

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 01:04:09 pm »

The only thing is that I have over 14,000 songs and I'm only going to use certain ones at a time on the phone. And then next time I would remove the ones from there and want different ones. So it would be a constant converting on the fly depending on what I wanted at that time.

Plus, does that solve the problem of bringing over the "next to file (artust-album)" cover art to folder.jpg's instead by doing that on the fly?

BTW, sorry I didn't post in this forum initially but I thought this forum was talking about the different types of handhelds like if I wanted to buy one, not how to use MC with a handheld.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up