INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new sansa e270  (Read 7166 times)

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
new sansa e270
« on: June 05, 2006, 06:23:09 am »

I am trying to sync and/or transfer mp3 to my new handheld.  Two problems: it either won't sync and/or transfer at all, or Media Center says it has but when I go to play them on the handheld it doesn't show the files are on there.  Does Media Center fully support this device?

jasonod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: new sansa e270
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:50:43 am »

You would need to have MC11.1 and be using MTP transfer to get it to work.  We haven't tested this device.

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:14:30 am »

Yes, I believe I'm using MTP transfer.  Here you go:

Media Center Registered 11.1.183 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1997 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 178 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: MAD DOG MD-16X3DVD9-8X    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: JLMS    DVD-ROM LTD-166S  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: MAD DOG  MD-16X3DVD9-8X     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

jasonkod

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 05:01:50 pm »

Guys/gals,

Any ideas yet?  Does "We haven't tested this device" mean I'm SOL?  I wanted to check this help forum before I contact Sandisk, as I imagine they won't be familiar with Media Center.  Thanks,

jasonod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 06:25:19 pm »

It just means we haven't tested the device yet. 

PlaysforSure/MTP devices are not all identical.

jasonkod

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 06:42:39 pm »

Jim,

Any thoughts on whether/when the Sandisk Sansa e200 series devices will be tested?  In the meantime, I guess I'll have to contact Sandisk or just use another program like Windows Media.  Thanks,

jasonod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »

Yes.  We'll test them.

jasonkod

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 06:53:21 pm »

Woo-hoo!  I'll just wait to hear a reply then . . .

jasonod

SwellGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 09:24:33 am »

Jasonod,

We are testing an e200 series now and are seeing some small problems but the files are syncing and showing on the device.

What file types are you tranferring? If you browse the device with explorer, are they on the device anywhere?

What firmware version is on the e270 (I think 1.00.12A is the latest)?

Rick

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 10:57:31 pm »

Rick,

I 'think' I have things figured out.  I set the default to Media Center, instead of using Sansa's software to convert media.  This seemed to take care of things (I don't plan on using the e270 for anything other than mp3 listening).  I also went ahead and re-formatted the device and got rid of the factory-installed songs.

Thank you again, and I WILL certainly contact the forum again if I continue to experience problems.

jasonod :)

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 11:17:58 pm »

Okay, I wrote too soon.  I dragged and dropped my mp3 files to the action window to sync.  It's incredibly SLOW.  It's syncing anywhere from 0 to 1.3 mb/sec, and showing that it's going to take 3+ hours to transfer 120 songs.  When I was using Windows Media Player beta 11 version, it was transferring MUCH quicker.  What gives?

jasonod ?

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 12:07:12 am »

Ah-ha!  Now it's cooking b/c I switched from MTP to MSC mode.  I guess I just need to figure some things out on my own, eh?

jasonod :-[

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 06:21:31 am »

Okay, me again.  When I reconnect the e270 to my desktop while Media Center is open, it is not showing what files are on the handheld.  Why is that?  Windows Media Player does this, i.e. shows what files are on the device.

jasonod

SwellGuy

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 04:24:17 pm »

jasonod,

I'm seeing that too. I'll dig into it and keep you posted...

Rick

SwellGuy

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 05:05:19 pm »

jasonod,

When you switch the e270 from MTP to MSC the 'Music' folder remains hidden. Because it's hidden we don't scan it for files. There's two ways you can workaround this:
1) You can reformat the device and retransfer the files - or -
2) You can remove the hidden attribute from the 'music' folder on the device.

Rick

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 06:39:48 am »

Rick,

I will try reformatting the handheld.  But do I have to do this everytime?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the hidden attribute from the 'music' folder on the device".  Where do I find this "hidden" folder?

jasonod

edbro

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 09:52:36 am »

Jasonod,

I've been following this as I have a Sansa being shipped to me. Do you have this working in MC to your satisfaction? For the hidden folder, can't you change the attribute in Explorer? Is using MC better than the software that came with the player?

I'm still a bit confused on which is the best mode to use with MC. Did you settle on MSC or MTP?

SwellGuy

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 11:25:36 am »

You will only have to do this when you switch from MTP to MSC.

To remove the hidden attribute do the following:

1. Open up explorer and locate the 'Music' folder on the Sansa device.
2. Right-click on the 'Music' folder and select 'Properties'.
3. Un-check the 'Hidden' attribute and hit Ok.

SwellGuy

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 11:31:31 am »

edbro,

We fully support the e200 players. We're testing ours as an MTP device and it's working well for us. If you have any problems with it we'll make 'em right.

Rick

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 05:33:14 pm »

Sorry guys, been away for a while.  I think I have my Sansa/Media Center all dialed in.  It's everytime I connect my player to my desktop, Media Center recognizes which files are on the player.

Thanks again and I'll be in touch if I have anymore issues.

Jasonod ;D

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
unable to delete from handheld
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 10:27:05 pm »

Me again: I cannot figure out how to delete files from the e270.  I've been dinking with the device and the program for a week now b/c I've been too embarrassed to pose this question but I'm fed up.  Short of re-formatting the device (again!) how do I delete existing files to add more files??

Thanks,

Jasonod  ?

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 11:00:22 pm »

Next question: I am trying to transfer podcasts and I am getting the error msg "None of the tracks can be transferred.  Common errors include insufficient rights or unsupported file types."

Help?

Jasonod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 06:50:06 am »

Are they MP3 files?

sayer15

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 01:16:43 pm »

Hey, I'm new to this forum...

I just bought an e270 and am happy with it so far, but I have a question about the video playback. Just uploaded a bunch of clips and have noticed that the video stutters fairly frequently (video will lag the audio for a few seconds and then catch up).

Have any other e270 users noticed this? Just trying to determine if it's a problem unique to my player or not.

Thanks!

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 10:41:33 pm »

I just got back into town and am going to try and tackle this issue again.  Yes, they are all mp3 files, podcasts downloaded from the NPR site.

Also, any word on how to delete files from the Sansa e270?

BTW, I haven't even tried to deal with video- yet.  I mostly bought the Sansa e270 for the audio playback.

jasonod

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 11:58:45 am »

Also, any word on how to delete files from the Sansa e270?

Can you see the tracks that are on the device with MC?  I don't have the e270, but if you can view the tracks on the device, select the ones you want to delete and right click.  This may give you the option to delete or remove.

To delete a track from the device itself, try hitting the "Select/Enter" key while the track is playing and see if other options are displayed.  Sometimes this is where you can delete a track.

Don't be embarrassed by asking the question.  I ran into a similar problem with a desktop program and the answer was to highlight the item, then press the "Delete" key on the keyboard.  Simple yes, but there were no pull down or right click menu options for delete and it drove me crazy until I finally found the answer.

jasonkod

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 05:24:56 pm »

Thanks BullishDad.  I think I've got the delete issue figured out now as well.  Well, at least I think I do.

I'm still trying to figure out why some podcasts (they are all mp3 files) will upload to the device but others won't?  It says 'file not supported', but I can't figure out why.

Jasonod

edbro

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 09:05:30 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out why some podcasts (they are all mp3 files) will upload to the device but others won't?  It says 'file not supported', but I can't figure out why.

I just received my Sansa e270 today and it seems to work fine with MC in MSC mode.

I too ran into the same podcast problem as you with it saying "file not supported". Then, I realized that I hadn't actually downloaded the podcast. Make sure that the "episode status" in MC says "on disk".

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 09:18:53 pm »

Where can I find the 'on disk' screen or tab or whatever?  And how do I make sure it's 'on the disk'?

Jasonod

edbro

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006, 09:31:38 pm »

In MC look in your podcast directory. It is one of the preset columns. On mine, it is the 4th column.

How are your transfers? Mine work fine but are very slow. I am transferring at an average of 0.6 mb/s on a USB 2 port. I am using MSC mode.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 07:46:48 am »

edbro,

okay, i just added the "episode status" column and now i see it.  thanks for your advice; i've had my player now for about 3 weeks and am learning how to integreate it more and more with media center.

my transfers are going quicker than that, around 2- 3.5 mb/sec with a usb port in msc mode.

jasonod

edbro

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 07:55:15 am »

Jasonod:
How did you get MC to see all the files every time you hook it up? I have mine in MSC mode and I removed the hidden attribute of the music folder. But, everytime I synch, the Sansa will reapply the hidden attribute. The next time I hook it up, MC does not see the files.

JRiver, is there any way to permit MC to see hidden files/folders?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 04:26:11 pm »

In MC look in your podcast directory. It is one of the preset columns. On mine, it is the 4th column.

How are your transfers? Mine work fine but are very slow. I am transferring at an average of 0.6 mb/s on a USB 2 port. I am using MSC mode.

That type of speed usually means the device is connecting in USB 1 mode. The device and computer aren't syncing up at USB 2 for some reason and drops back to USB 1 which then works. You could try another usb port on your computer. Strangely enough this helps sometimes. Make sure the USB 2 device is showing up in device manager. If you've never used a USB 2 device it could be that you're missing the driver for the adapter.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2006, 04:33:11 pm »

Windows bug.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2006, 05:17:49 pm »

edbro,

i have the same problem: every time i connect the device, mc doesn't show the files on it.  i don't know how to fix this.  if you figure this out, please let me know.

also, where do i find the 'hidden attribute' of the music folder?  is this a windows thing or a mc thing?

so, i've figured out how to sync, how to delete, and how to get the podcasts transferred.  i'm psyched b/c i'm almost there . . .

jasonod

edbro

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2006, 05:45:35 pm »

With the Sansa in MSC mode, it will show as another drive to windows. Simply navigate in Explorer to the folder and right click on it to change its properties. Again, it will reset itself after you disconnect.

How are you deleting files if you can't see them in MC and don't know how to navigate to the folder in Explorer?

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006, 06:32:23 pm »

edbro,

oh, okay.  got it now.

how am i deleting files on the sansa e270?  right or wrong, i've just been reformatting it every time.

jasonod

SwellGuy

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2006, 04:49:03 pm »

We've discovered the easiest way to work around this problem is to change your 'Audio Path' in options from 'Music' to 'My Music'.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2006, 05:26:22 pm »

Yea, I'm having the same difficulty.  I got my e270 today and realized that it hides the folder upon rescanning and updating the database (disconnecting from computer).  I solved the problem by ignoring the Music folder and using an Audio folder.  I have another thread asking how I can have album art automatically down sized to 176x176 (to fit device) and copied.  I want it copied exactly how I have it in MC, Folder.jpg inside each album folder.  This works great when I manually copy it but it needs to be downsized from the 1200x1200 I store it as and automated.  I would really appreciate this automation because the album art looks so neat and makes the screen useful.

edbro

OT: Tip for Sansa users
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2006, 06:02:01 pm »

If you remove the 2 middle connectors from either end of a USB extension cable, you can charge your Sansa while using it. The 2 middle connections in USB are the data pins, if you remove them, you can charge your Sansa without being connected.

Credit goes to the folks at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2006, 11:14:44 pm »

I do like this idea because I think it would let me turn it off while it charges.  HOW STUPID is it that you have to leave the device (and screen on) while it charges?!  I have NEVER heard of such a thing.  I'm not leaving the screen on all night, or whatever!

roopesh

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2006, 11:42:39 pm »

Why doesn't MC allow me to convert and sync m4v files to my e270?  I really want to use MC as my all-in-one solution but I really need to have it convert from any format to a compatible format for my player.

SwellGuy

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2006, 02:35:16 pm »

We are looking into video conversion because there are a lot of legal hurdles preventing it.

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2006, 09:43:12 pm »

Why doesn't MC allow me to convert and sync m4v files to my e270?  I really want to use MC as my all-in-one solution but I really need to have it convert from any format to a compatible format for my player.

One of the problems with this at the moment is as it comes setup, the Sansa E200 series only supports playback of .mov video. Now, anyone who knows anything about video compression knows that .mov is pretty much useless, and invariabley makes larger files than it starts out with. In theory, the chip in the Sansa E200 can play back mpeg4 and divx/xvid, but I don't know of anyone who's actually been able to do it. The closest I've heard of anyone using anything other than the converter which comes with the Sansa's that actually worked and resulted in better file size/compression is using Sorenson Squeeze, however that isn't cheap, and unless you have the settings correct, won't work either. All of this is somewhat moot, because with the current firmware, video is limited to 10 minute clips. Earlier firmware allowed longer videos to play.

I'd be happy if I could use Media Center to add/manage photos on my E250, but for some stupid reason .jpg files have to be converted to .bmp files, downsized and have a thumbnail created as well, all of which needs copied to the Sansa, and none of which Media Center will currently do. Heck of a way to run a railroad. Gotta think they can tweak the firmware to display actual .jpg files and scale 'em on the fly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up