INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping Multiple Artist CDs  (Read 1048 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Ripping Multiple Artist CDs
« on: June 20, 2006, 09:27:36 pm »

What is the protocol for ripping CDs with multiple artists? I have been re-ripping most of my collection and the mult. artist CDs are giving me fits. My rip options are to rip to [Artist]\[Album]. Sometimes I get them dumped into a folder named "Various Artists", sometimes "Assorted", sometimes "Multiple Artists" and worst of all, somtimes they get scattered all over based on the individual artists on the  CD. Then I have to find them all and collect them back into a common album folder.

I can't figure out the variable that causes all these different variations. Is there something I can change pre-rip that will give me some common output?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Ripping Multiple Artist CDs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:35:11 am »

- Change the file location rule to: [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]

- Make the fields "Album Artist (auto)" and "Album Artist" visible in the CD ripping details view. (right-click > Customize Current View)

- Inspect the "Album Artist (Auto)" field before ripping. The default value for various artists CDs is "(Multiple Artists)", but you can override it by writing something else to the "Album Artist" field (select all tracks first).

In general, you could stop using the "Assorted" option and use the "Album Artist (auto)" field instead of "Artist" also when renaming or moving files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

edbro

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:42:41 am »

Thanks Alex, I give Album Artist (auto) a try. I have been using the data from the YADB lookups. Is that a field that is already filled in?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 08:59:51 am »

MC fills it automatically. The default is the same as "Artist" or if the album contains several track artists MC uses "(Multiple Artists)". However, nothing prevents you from writing something else in the "Album Artist" field, which is for a custom album artist. A typical DJ mix album is a good example. Each track has its individual original artist, but the compilation has a common album artist (the name of the DJ).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up