INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More about Audio|Image|Video icons  (Read 3640 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
More about Audio|Image|Video icons
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:29:48 am »

Just noticed a confusing behavior with the audio|images|video icons in the tree.

Basically, when you click an icon, the scope of the library changes to that media type. So if you click Audio, the library now shows audio files.

However, if you now click the little triangle next to *another* media type, the views for that media type drop down, but the library display does not change.

So for example, if I click on Images, I see all the images, but if I then click on the triangle next to Audio, I now see:

Artist/Album
Disk Location
etc.

in the tree, but I am still seeing Images in the library view.

It is not clear that the little triangle is a completely separate and independent control to the media type icon next to it. I would suggest that when expanding the views associated with media type, the view in the library changes to that media type as well.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: More about Audio|Image|Video icons
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:40:12 am »

I concur....

The new media tabs along the top can be confusing...

I've expanded the images tab, then clicked on the audio tab. The choices presented below are still those of the image tab, and clicking on one takes me back to 'images'
I think, that if expanded, the view scheme options should remain in sync with the chosen media mode.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 03:16:43 am »

Likewise.

Marty3d

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:27:40 am »

Hm...I think the easiest way (for users anyway) is that if you click one of the tabs (yes tabs, I definitively see them that way) = Expand the views in the sidebar, show the proper main view.
No tiny arrows, no click-twice.

That's what I'd prefer.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:54:58 am »

I agree with Marty3d
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 05:36:17 am »

Me too.

*Maybe* have the tabs act as a toggle to show/hide the sub-views... though actually I see no value in hiding the subviews.

Yeah, just have them act as tabs.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 06:33:45 am »

Is it so important to have buttons for media types? I would prefer funtionality based buttons instead:

|Start|Playing Now|Media Library|Podcasts|Drives & Devices|Services&Plugins|

The media type categories and playlists should go under the Media Library button.

In my opinion the MC11.0 approach was more logical that what we have in MC11.1 now. It was instantly clear that "Media Library" and its sub branches contained the database info of all media files and Playing Now etc were different things.

Actually, I have never complained about the tree system. Especially the MC11.0 version was good.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 06:48:18 am »

getting to like the idea of these tabs. While at first a bit "ooo-eeeerrr, not sure about those" when I first saw them, but as it turns out early experience of them is positive for sure.

I think though, that to maintain the intended geometry, they should be locked up the top there, just like real tabs would be.
If I add another viewscheme, and set tree position to 'top', it literally does that. ie. it places it above [audio] - [image] - [video]
If I choose automatic, anything alphabetically lower than 'Audio' gets placed above it too.

They lose practically all of their early appeal by being total wimps in the battle for top line occupation.

============

Alex, I'm surprised by your thoughts on 11.1's tree...

That "media library" node was a real pain to me. It always felt like a totally redundant click to open.

Now, we have the media type groups on the root, and can create our own "media library" group, with the ability to call it anything we like at all. As you know, I called mine "workshop". Expand that one level, and there are the familiar media type groups, and inside them are work orientated viewschemes.

I really enjoy this setup. When I want to play, the media types are right there in front of me, immediately accessible. When I have to work, I sit down and open the workshop. ([aside]been using that split view extended workspace configuration a lot while in the workshop, have you tried that? So long as you remember selection doesn't mean activation, it's great[/aside])

Quite like your "functionality" buttons though, nice idea, especially if we're not getting a bookmarks list in v12. It would certainly help get from a to b a bit more quickly.

-marko

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 07:13:27 am »

Previously there were the media mode buttons separately for quick access.

Some people have obviously been confused about the differences between the file listings in Playing Now, Media Categories, Playlists and Drives & Devices.

Here's another version:

The upmost "static" buttons:

[Playing Now] [Media Library] [Functions] [MC web]

Under "Media Library:"
- "Media type category" buttons
- "Playlists" button
- "Podcast" button (What do you think? Are these part of the media database?)

Under "Functions"  (or what would be a better name for this?)
- Drives & Devices
- Services & Plugins

"MC Web"
Would something like this be a better name for "Start"? Should this be the first button or perhaps the last? Or perhaps under the "functions"? I guess JRiver is not willing to remove this.

Edit

I have to think about this more. I have not tried all of my usual procedures with MC12 and my main library yet.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 09:17:29 am »

Actually, I have never complained about the tree system. Especially the MC11.0 version was good.

I'm with you Alex.  I never really understood why the Media Library Item in the tree needed to be removed (as it makes more sense in a tree "sense").  It was an extra click though (and could hide the important Audio/Video/Images selections from novices), so I suppose it doesn't really hurt to have it gone.

Previously there were the media mode buttons separately for quick access.

Some people have obviously been confused about the differences between the file listings in Playing Now, Media Categories, Playlists and Drives & Devices.

I really, really think a solution would be to switch the "tree" to it's own tab on the sidebar of the application, and go back to a MC11.1/11.0 style tree.  Bear with me...

If there were two honest-to-goodness tabs at the top of the tree sidebar.  One called "Tree-View" and the other called "Icon View".

If you have the sidebar switched to Icon View, then it would only list a handful of large icons for "top-level" views, spread evenly along the side.  My choices would be: Start, Playing Now, Audio, Images, Video, Playlists, Podcasts, and Drives and Devices.  Then, if the user clicks on one of these icons, the rest of the display should "slide down" to the bottom, revealing that particular item's "children" views.  I envision this to be similar to the Sidebar in Outlook 2003:

Imagine in the picture above that "Mail" doesn't say "Mail', but "Audio".  Calendar is "Images" and so on and so forth.  The action window can basically stay as is, floating above the entire Sidebar "pane" (so that it show up on both the Icon View and Tree View sidebar tabs).  The currently selected view's "children" would show up in the area where the actual calendar is showing above.

Then, under the Tree View tab, it should have the MC11-style tree we all know and love (or love to hate).  This is needed so that you can quickly dig down, drag-n-drop tag, and do all the "complex" tasks that the tree excels at.  The other nice thing is that you can "hide" some of the complex selections in the tree ("Services and Plugins", "Imports", "Documents", and custom top-level View Schemes for example) under the tree tab.  These would only be exposed when the user wants to see them, and for regular everyday playback navigation they wouldn't be there cluttering up the interface!

I think this would provide the best of both worlds!  It would be simple and "not overwhelming" to noobs, and it would retain all the power that "we" (us old fogies) need.  Best of all, it uses a UI "motif" that users have likely seen before (who hasn't used Outlook Express at least once), and that is used in many applications.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 09:26:25 am »

I agree the audio image video buttons are somewhat difficult to hit the arrows.
At minimum i'd like something like this
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7531/buttons3yl.jpg
Only hastily done in pbrush.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 09:43:13 am »

I like the idea about just getting rid of the triangles and when you click on the media mode buttons, all the child views just show up. Why do we need to seperate them?

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:36:26 pm »

I like the idea about just getting rid of the triangles and when you click on the media mode buttons, all the child views just show up. Why do we need to seperate them?

I agree with Doof here. The arrow is too tiny, by the way, so if you want to keep it may I suggest to at least double its size..

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 08:50:33 am »

I agree too.  Don't think the triangles are necessary.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up