INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappearing iPod Playlists  (Read 1440 times)

krdavies

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Disappearing iPod Playlists
« on: August 07, 2006, 09:42:47 am »

I must admit I've pretty much reached my wits end with an MC/iPod problem. A couple of months ago my G4 iPod 60GB started acting up. I'd sync with MC (flac files converted to MP3) and occasionally none of the files would show on the iPod (although Windows showed it to be about 50% full). This happened again on Friday and I got so upset that I bought a new iPod 60GB Video (assuming the HD was corrupt on my old one). I spent 8 hours yesterday synchronising the unit and it worked perfectly. This morning I spend 5 minutes adding a few more tracks, synced and the whole lot has gone again. Windows is saying 25.2GB used but none of the playlists show in the iPod and it appears to be empty.

Please, someone tell me what's wrong. I'm at the point of converting all my files back to Apple lossless and trying iTunes.

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Disappearing iPod Playlists
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:12:56 am »

How about trying APE?  Just to eliminate the FLAC decoder as a possible problem?

Also, please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

krdavies

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:29:23 am »

Thanks for the very quick response. Here's the file:

Media Center Registered 11.1.191 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1998 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1032 MB, Free - 567 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive H: MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-846    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive H: MATSHITA DVD-R   UJ-846     Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

I should mention that I'm running MC on a Mac running Windows (I had the same problem with my PC) and am now using it with a 60GB Video and a 4GB Nano. Both experience the same problem.

The problem with trying APE is that I have over 5000 files and this issue with the iPod is occasional and I haven't been able to deliberately induce it. In other words I could convert a subset of files to APE and only transfer them but there's no way of ensuring it would work consistently (it may work for a month and them suddenly stop). It's not so much a problem with the Nano as it obviously holds a lot less so takes less time to sync after the initialization, but the 60GB takes around 8 hours.....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:36:00 am »

At this point, it would help to find out whether you can make it fail with another decoder.  It's possible that the decoder is hanging or very slow.

krdavies

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:40:32 am »

Here's an interesting thing. I just started sync and it reckons there was 7.8 hours remaining (which would take me nicely through to midnight here) so I cancelled it. After pausing for a few seconds, MC crashed. No error message, it just dissappeared. It re-ran fine so no permanent damage done.

I'll convert some files to APE and try it out.

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:31:07 am »

We may be having trouble identfying the iPod correctly and the log file should verify this.

In the help menu, turn debug logging on, output to a file, select 'Handheld' events, restart MC, wait for MC to find the devices and send me the log file.

The log file can be found at...
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Log.txt
Pages: [1]   Go Up