INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is there a limit to how many tracks MC can hold?  (Read 4288 times)

sonius

• Recent member
  • Bad Dog
is there a limit to how many tracks MC can hold?
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:10:06 pm »

is there a limit to how many tracks MC can hold?

JONCAT

Re: is there a limit to how many tracks MC can hold?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:21:05 pm »

3, 999....when you hit 4,000 the app uninstalls itself and you have to upgrade to the 4,999 license, etc. etc.

;)

Dr. C
You're good...keep ripping and archiving and don't look back

sonius

• Recent member
  • Bad Dog
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:59:43 pm »

well, im up to 81.600

:P

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:23:35 am »

How do you get to 81K?!  I'm assuming they are mp3's or you'd have 2TB of lossless (that's possible, no doubt!)

Quick question: does anyone know if there is a CD with the music from Sims (the first release)?  I always copied the mp3's from the CD but with my new library which I started over a few weeks into July, I want only flac.  Perhaps there is a soundtrack to sims?  I'll search around on eBay.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:09:21 am »

well, im up to 81.600

:P

I have over 230,000 in one of my Libraries, just over 800 Gigs

I have a few other libraries that are smaller around 20,000 each

MC Is a bit slower with larger Libraries
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:23:37 am »

I'd like to see its performance with 210,000 files.  I don't mean to bother with my repeated questions about how you guys get that many songs but I still don't see how it's possible unless the majority of the songs are useless or at least they probably haven't ever been listened to.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 12:45:37 pm »

...Quick question: does anyone know if there is a CD with the music from Sims (the first release)?  I always copied the mp3's from the CD but with my new library which I started over a few weeks into July, I want only flac.  Perhaps there is a soundtrack to sims?  I'll search around on eBay.

benn600, somebody that may have an answer for your Sims question may never see it buried here in a "how many tracks" topic.

You should start a new topic... ;D

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:10:59 pm »

300,000+ songs here, all with cover art and around 90,000 of them with lyrics. MC performs quite well.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 01:31:20 pm »

I'll have to go with Benn600 - I've got every cd and dvd I own on MC and it's probably cost me more than it's really worth
Making a quick smartlist of 'never played' tracks and 'played more than once', then comparing them is kind of shocking
About 70% of my tracks have never been listened to, but it's nice to know that if i wanted to, then I could

I guess that it's more of the convenience of not having to try and find the cd's that makes up for the cost of hard drives

benn600

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 01:43:14 pm »

That's an interesting point.  That is true that most of our tracks have never been played.  Get real--300,000 songs!  If each song was a minute long (obviously not true), that would take you more about a year of 50% listening.  I am trying to rate every song in my library (lol) but it will be a while.  I have 1,775 rated right now and 6,506 not rated...I'll be adding about 80 more songs in the next few hours (more CDs).

I find that when I can average $3 for CDs, it becomes so reasonable that I don't mind purchasing just to have them.  I usually don't, though, unless it has at least one song I know I like and I often times find more after listening to it.

The goal is to get everything rated and then my smartlist with r=3,4,5 will play great songs all the time, including newer ones that I haven't heard in a while or ones that I discovered upon rating and only listened to part of it.  We are realizing that there is not enough time to enjoy all this content.  With music, movies, television (South Park, Simpsons, etc), and then the continuous podcasts/video podcasts, there just isn't enough driving time or time in the day to enjoy all the content we are presented with.  Perhaps we should select our favorite 10 CDs, get a 10 CD changer, and sit in the corner, cycling through these favorite 10 CDs.  That would put an end to our content overload.

lol

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 02:01:56 pm »

The goal is to get everything rated and then my smartlist with r=3,4,5 will play great songs all the time

This is pretty much the problem I think I have
When you make smartlists of your favourites, you really have chucked everything else into the 'I should really delete it' bin
On the other hand, it's nice to know that it's there if you want it....
(I'll probably never listen to them, but it does give me a nice warm feeling to know that they're there if I did want to)

DAMN YOU JRiver - your making me spending more money than i want to  ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 02:02:50 pm »

how you guys get that many songs but I still don't see how it's possible unless the majority of the songs are useless or at least they probably haven't ever been listened to.

well my 230,000+ files are Old Time And New Radio Shows Like

Gunsmoke, Dragnet, CBS Mystery Theater, Abbott And Costello Show, Philip Marlowe, Boston Blackie, Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, Sherlock Holmes, Sam Spade, Tarzan, The Shadow etc....

Media Center Tells Me It Would Take 7.17 years to listen to them 24/7 and i don't think i will

I only have about 20,000 In Music Files That Are Basically The Top 100 From The 1940's To current
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 02:09:19 pm »

The goal is to get everything rated and then my smartlist with r=3,4,5 will play great songs all the time, including newer ones that I haven't heard in a while or ones that I discovered upon rating and only listened to part of it. 
Until you realise that ratings can change, i find it takes at least 5 listens for ratings to stabilise. On first listen i'm 70% confident i got it. But i cant possible listen to everything 5 times so i have my picks that i go for. A not heard for x period viewscheme is useful here to get a choice of stuff you liked earlier.

We are realizing that there is not enough time to enjoy all this content.  With music, movies, television (South Park, Simpsons, etc), and then the continuous podcasts/video podcasts, there just isn't enough driving time or time in the day to enjoy all the content we are presented with.  Perhaps we should select our favorite 10 CDs, get a 10 CD changer, and sit in the corner, cycling through these favorite 10 CDs.  That would put an end to our content overload.
I don't watch much TV, so i get more time to rate stuff.

The whole idea behind rating is that it makes it easier to find stuff you like when you want it. Reduces the chances of duff tracks creeping in, more quality time. It's time well spent, think of it as a music diary if you will.  I've even set up half-ratings & album ratings, so i can tell at a glance what my best are for a year, artist, genre, label etc.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 02:18:12 pm »

Back in the early 80's my cousin had an atari 400
He collected all the games he could on copied floppy disks
After a while it was just the collecting that became important - he never player any, but it was just the collection that mattered

I'm beginning to believe that I'm doing exactly the same with my music collection - I'm just collecting it, I don't really need it or want it but just adding it to the collection to make it complete
How stupid is that  ?

benn600

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 02:21:14 pm »

That is very true, too!  About a month ago, I threw out my huge collection of MP3's (archived it on another drive).  Part of it was obtained through strange means and therefore, I didn't have the original CDs for part of it.  Then I went to used CD stores and spent over $500 in one day.  This was not hard because I have no trouble remembering the songs I like by the artists I like.  Following that, numerous trips to pawn shops, Good Will, and lots of Ebay purchases, I have purchased close to 300 CDs.

With this came a nice, rating-free, FLAC based library and I had no idea how horrible playing music would be without playlists or ratings.  It took me a few weeks to build up a nice rating collection for my favorite songs, but I still find songs in my daily rating time that I think -- "How could I have forgotten that?!"

I agree that JRiver is responsible for my huge CD purchase and all this work.  Don't forget that I'm currently in the process of re-ripping all my DVDs because I want better quality now that I have such a nice program.  My 8 computers have been working on South Park 1-7 and Simpsons 1-8 for the past 62 hours.  They are going to be done in the next few short hours and then I can start on my other television seasons (only about 4) and then my ~100 DVD movies.

Now another issue comes to mind.  I feel like everyone buys these huge hard drives to store their media.  Unfortunately, however, we are all storing such similar data.  Besides our personally taken pictures, I bet there are tens of thousands of people out there who have a lot of idential CDs I do.  All the time and effort I'm putting into ripping my DVDs "could" potentially be shared except for the legallity issues, of course, but for those who own the same DVDs, why should they have to spend 62 hours (WITH 8 computers!)--probably 400 hours if using only 1 computer-- doing all the work that was already completed?  It's amazing how many resources are wasted as far as processor cycles (lol).  That's probably not important considering the processor usage devoted to gaming which some would consider wasted (when excessive--all day game playing, for example).

It is really nice to hear a song you like, find the name on google, and then search your library--what a surprise, you have it!

By the way, good call on not spending 7.17 years listening to your music!

The TV I was talking about is TV on DVD which is all I would consider--nice to carry on my iPaq.

That's an interesting idea to record the label a CD is from.  By the way, I recommend creating a playlist that shows songs rated 4 or less stars and played 5 or more times.  That allows you to quickly find songs that should be rated higher.  Also, don't forget that if a rating changes, you can update the rating with one click.  I can't afford listening to a song 5 times to give it a good rating--especially if I don't like it on my first listen!

You guys keep posting while I'm trying!!  This is the third time!

LOL--collect 'em all!  (CDs)  There aren't too many CDs in the world, are there?  Do many people release CDs?

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 02:27:58 pm »

LOL--collect 'em all!  (CDs)  There aren't too many CDs in the world, are there?  Do many people release CDs?

If my name was Bill Gates - yeah no problem
Sadly, my name is 'No Money McBroke'  ;D

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 10:55:02 am »

I only have about 20,000 In Music Files That Are Basically The Top 100 From The 1940's To current
Hey King, first thanks for everything, Second I've been looking for a list of exactly that, the top 100's from 1940 to the current. Do you have a file or a idea where to get that list? I'd be happy with top 50 from the 50's even. Thanks for any info from anyone.
Thanks!

Cerebro

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 12:39:07 pm »

My little solution here:

Every time I sync my iPod it gives me 4 hours of fresh, never heard music on a smartlist..always randomised, so I never know what's up and coming next. I listen to the playlist at work, rate the songs on my iPod as they come. It really is like radio, but with a much higher potential of good music, since I picked the CDs myself in the first place.

I calculated that I would be done rating ALL my songs within the next 4 to 6 months...provided of course that I do not add anything in the meantime :-) However, this little tweak helps me a lot beating a path through the jungle of my own music..and I found so much wonderful stuff in my own library that I was never aware of..

Cheers,

Maik

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 12:56:19 pm »

Hey King, first thanks for everything, Second I've been looking for a list of exactly that, the top 100's from 1940 to the current. Do you have a file or a idea where to get that list? I'd be happy with top 50 from the 50's even. Thanks for any info from anyone.

well you can try

http://umdmusic.com/

also i recentely found my 2000+ chart xml files that i thought were lost

ftp.spartasoft.com
User: charts
Password: charts
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 02:14:47 pm »

Every time I sync my iPod it gives me 4 hours of fresh, never heard music on a smartlist..always randomised, so I never know what's up and coming next. I listen to the playlist at work, rate the songs on my iPod as they come. It really is like radio, but with a much higher potential of good music, since I picked the CDs myself in the first place.
I did this a few yrs back when i started on the ratings journey. In hindsight i would not really recommend it. For starters how well will randomly mixed music sound together. Sometimes even human DJs can't pull this off ;)

In my experience i found the really good tracks stood out, but then the not so necessarily bad ones also got pushed down further for no greater fault than coming after the wrong track or me not being in the right mood to hear them at the time. Since i also use album ratings as well this has the side-effect of lowering the overall album score unfairly.

My advice would be to listen to albums back-to-back, that way the songs sounds much more coherent as a whole. So try to rate full albums with tracks you dont know instead.

Good albums are certainly still being made despite what iTunes might make you think. I like knowing if i pick an album at random of the genre i'm interested in hearing with a minimum score then chances are good i will enjoy whats on offer.

jojo1967

• Recent member
  • I'm a music junkie
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 12:12:44 am »

I find that when I can average $3 for CDs, it becomes so reasonable that I don't mind purchasing just to have them.  I usually don't, though, unless it has at least one song I know I like and I often times find more after listening to it.

The goal is to get everything rated and then my smartlist with r=3,4,5 will play great songs all the time, including newer ones that I haven't heard in a while or ones that I discovered upon rating and only listened to part of it.  We are realizing that there is not enough time to enjoy all this content.  With music, movies, television (South Park, Simpsons, etc), and then the continuous podcasts/video podcasts, there just isn't enough driving time or time in the day to enjoy all the content we are presented with.  Perhaps we should select our favorite 10 CDs, get a 10 CD changer, and sit in the corner, cycling through these favorite 10 CDs.  That would put an end to our content overload.

lol

I currently have most (90%) of my music rated now.  I'm currently at 6,930 tracks and counting.  That's all our own CD's and ones I've bought online at my favorite sites.  Most of my tracks are rated, but the last few cd's I've bougt online.... I've just not been able to sit down and rate them, since we bought our house,  and moved in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up