INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get connected to YADB  (Read 14414 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Re: Can't get connected to YADB
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2006, 08:03:49 pm »

It was the date field missing from some of the tracks.  I would therefore suggest that the text in the dialogue box be changed to something more appropriate...

nick

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2006, 10:54:45 am »

It's on my list, which is unfortunately rather long at the moment :(

j

jerz

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2006, 07:08:25 am »

Just looked at this forum after getting the "Failed to connect...." message for the first time. I've found that loading a CD that happens to be listed on YADB the connection is successful. However, when returning to a CD which generated the "Failed to connect...." message, it's again unsuccessful.

Is this not just a case of a misleading error message? Perhaps if other users of this forum were to provide details of a CD which generates the error it could be confirmed whether or not it's listed on YADB.

alanl

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2006, 04:49:08 pm »

About every third time I try to lookup YADB it fails on connection, and every so often MC crashes. When I restart MC it generally does the lookup OK.  Every time I've tried to make a submission to YADB, MC crashes.

I think I've found a partial answer to my own problem.  When I was trying to submit, it was from a remotely accessed Library on a networked (Wi-Fi) machine.  I just successfully submitted to YADB from a local library on the same network, so I'm wondering if this is a time-out issue, or library issue,or ... what?

Still rather strange as both machines are on the same network, just using different libraries.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2006, 06:30:11 pm »

Just looked at this forum after getting the "Failed to connect...." message for the first time. I've found that loading a CD that happens to be listed on YADB the connection is successful. However, when returning to a CD which generated the "Failed to connect...." message, it's again unsuccessful.

Is this not just a case of a misleading error message? Perhaps if other users of this forum were to provide details of a CD which generates the error it could be confirmed whether or not it's listed on YADB.

I've gotten 'failed to connect' errors with both CD's that are listed and those that are not.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
YADB - Think I figured out my problem but don't know the real issue
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2006, 10:37:33 pm »

I used YADB a bunch this evening and finally put two and two together.  MC only sees my Internet connection if I have very recently used it (and ripping a CD takes long enough for it to no longer think I am connected).  I had noticed this previously when starting up (got the you must be connected to load this page error) but ignored it.  For what it is worth, Quicken (2005 version) has the exact same problem so I don't know if it is an MS issue, a Windows SDK/API/DLL issue, or a weird system issue.

Details:
I use Firefox as my default browser, not IE.
I get consistent, repeated failed to connect errors to YADB with no evidence that a connection was ever tried (from your logs).
Tonight I was using YADB repeatedly and getting the constant errors.
Once it dawned on me what might be happening, I Alt-Tabbed over to FireFox - refreshed the current page - went back to MC and YADB connected instantly.  This was almost 100% repeatable.  If I had a connection issue, refreshing my current page in the browser would almost always get me an immediate fast response from the YADB server.

Still don't know why I have this problem, but at least I know how to 'fix' it for now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Thanks for the clue!  Are you running anything unusual that controls your network?  Or does your network card shut down when not in use?  Anything like that?

I've always said that MS's auto-update is likely to cause a world-wide shutdown of Windows computers some morning. ;)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

I'm using the built in nVidia nForce Network Controller with default settings.  Power management is enabled, but I have never noticed the card to be powered down as long as the ethernet cable is attached.  I am not running the nVidia network management software or any other network flow control software on this PC.

The only two programs that I have this issue with are Quicken and MC, and both have built in browser support that I am guessing is based on I.E.

It's also quite possible that this is a machine specific issue but I don't have time for a full wipe/restore right now.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

Hi Bartman,

Can you try an experiment for me? The next time  you have trouble with YADB connecting, go to MC's start page and click on one of the links to the web on the top. Does that work?

j

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

Just happened again, and when I went to the "Go" page I got the "You can see updated version of the web page by connecting to the Internet" message. 

Launched FireFox, came to this page - and immediately after both the "Go" page is working and the YADB lookup is working.

It looks it happens because for some reason MC can't see my Internet connection.

wilfredjg

• World Citizen

I also used to get this error when using artist info in Playing Now to connect to AllMusic. When I went back to IE as the default broswer. This error went away.  I still use Firefox to cruise the Internet but IE is my default

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team

I've always said that MS's auto-update is likely to cause a world-wide shutdown of Windows computers some morning.

i have had a few problems with it

where an update was installed and the system rebooted only to lockup windows.

rebooting did not help

the only thing that did help was going into safe mode and go back 1 day on system restore.

manually installing the update caused the same problem. so i hid the update.

about a month later when more security updates were avail i tried again and it installed all updates.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid

What kind of router/firewall are you using? I remember reading on another board a while back that some Linksys routers would do some weird session disconnect or something that was later fixed in a firmware update. Might not be the issue, but it's another place to look.

bob

• Administrator

What kind of router/firewall are you using? I remember reading on another board a while back that some Linksys routers would do some weird session disconnect or something that was later fixed in a firmware update. Might not be the issue, but it's another place to look.

I've run into this one quite a lot with cheap routers.

You could also try turning off "automatic detect settings" for the proxy server in internet options (assuming you are not using a proxy server).

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

Running IpCop for a firewall (stand alone Linux solution).

Osho

• MC Beta Team
YADB not working
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2006, 10:12:54 pm »

Hi,

I have been getting many failed YADB lookups. It takes a long time and then fails saying couldn't connect.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: YADB not working
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2006, 10:41:44 pm »

Me too, but it appears to be up now.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2006, 11:21:08 pm »

I am still getting errors. I also updated from 11.1.188 to 11.1.194 in the hopes that the upgrade may fix the problem but to no avail. I get this for every site.

It used to work before and I haven't changed anything on my computer (internet connection is working, no change to IE etc.).

thanks,
Osho

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2006, 11:49:28 pm »

I just tried again and right now it is working for me. 

Can you go to Help and click on Check for Updates?  What I have found is that this will say something to the effect of 'can't find server' (going from memory here) when YADB is not working.  If it comes back and actually checks for updates (usually with the response 'no updates available at this time') I always find that YADB is working.

Jeff W.

• Recent member

I have had problems re-ripping CDs and YADB not finding anything... and if it doens't find my album it doesn't prompt for me to add it!!

I opened IE7 beta-3 when I had the problem and it didin't help... I closed Media center .194 and reopened while IE 7 was open... hit rip and it was like greased lightning...
So this thread is on to something!

dlone

• Galactic Citizen

So the general idea is that YADB fails somtimes if IE isn't your browser of choice ?

I'm scratching my head here over why that should matter
To retrieve information over tcp/ip the browser really doesn't matter
You use winsock, open a conection to the server, get the information??
If you're using an external program to do it for you then your doing it wrong - period???

edbro

I have also noticed this problem with FF being my default browser. I sometimes have to startup FF in order to get YADB to work.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2006, 03:26:42 pm »

I tried doing Help -> Check for Updates and that is working fine. I get a message saying no updates are available at this time. If I go on the Start page of Media Center and then follow some of the links - those work fine. So, I am guessing that MC is seeing internet connection is alive.

But, YADB continue to not work.

Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2006, 03:34:12 pm »

I just got YADB working again.... here is what I had to do..

Windows Start Menu -> Set Program Access And Defaults

I had Custom selected. I selected Microsoft Windows and then selected OK. Whoo.. YADB is working again.

I think my problem may have been that I had installed IE 7 beta2 and then uninstalled it as it didn't play with MediaCenter (this was aroud 11.1.184 release I think). When I uninstalled it, IE 6 was probably not registered as the default browser. This is surprising though as I was able to use IE 6 and it didn't ask me to make it default browser etc.

Anyways, it is working again and let's hope it doesn't stop working :).

Osho

wilfredjg

• World Citizen

Watch out just upgraded to IE 7 RC 1 and some of my software that uses HTML pages loaded blank. I uninstalled 7 RC 1 and eveything is working ok.

JONCAT

Re: Think I figured out my YADB connection problem
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2006, 07:06:00 am »

Been trying to connect to YADB for about 5 days  with FAILURE every time? I have IE6 set as default browser.
Dr. C

JimH

• Administrator

Something weird is going on and I don't think it's YADB.  Microsoft security updates?

JONCAT

Re: YADB - Think I figured out my problem but don't know the real issue
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2006, 07:16:59 am »

Maybe, I'm using WinXP PRo x64 and haven't updated the version whatsoever with any updates. Running Outpost firewall x64 and Nod32 A/V; tried disabling both and setting IE6 x64 as default browser. Start page within MC works fine; I can access the forum within MC using IE6.

thanks,
Dr. C

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2006, 08:28:06 am »

Respectful request to the moderators...

There has been a surge in YADB questions / queries / problems / issues / solutions over the last couple of months.  And this seems to have triggered a update / rethink / rebuild / revamp exercise in the YADB service.

Whilst YADB may not deserve its own unique forum category, I (humbly) suggest that there should be a sticky FAQ at the top of the MC forum and that an administrator should try and aggregate the various issues so far.

nick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2006, 08:33:43 am »

The YADB work we're doing is only partially related to recent problem reports.

I think the current situation is a combination of our problems and those caused by Microsoft (IE7 early betas and maybe more).

We may see results later this week.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2006, 11:35:26 am »

Hi,

I have just been trying to rip some more CD's. YADB doesn't seem to be bahaving I am using 11.1.189. When looking up info off YADB its success rate is very low. Often it fails and returns an error saying the server is not available and then MC doesn't request the info about the cd; so I manually enter it into the main details pane and submit it, which YADB rejects.

Any ideas?

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2006, 11:49:46 am »

Any ideas?

All of the 'current' issues seem to be related to one of the following:
Installing (or having ever installed) the IE7 Beta.
Running anything other than IE6 as your default browser.
Running XP64.
And the usual suspects:  ISP weirdness/blocking and firewall issues.

The 'fix' depends on which issue you are having, so a little more info about your setup will help diagnose the exact problem.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2006, 11:55:39 am »

Unfortunately I don't fit into any of those categories.

win2000 sp4 all patched.
IE6 (never installed IE7 or firefox etc.)
MediaPlayer 9
MC 11.1.189

running on a MiniITX SP Via board @ 1.3Ghz, 512MB
Enet running through Netgear DG824 wireless adsl modem router with SPI

any other ideas?

:-P

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

edbro

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

Is there any way to transfer data from another app's cd.ini into MC? I have an extremely good success rate using another ripper and freedb. I'd love to be able to transfer the results of the online lookup into MC and rip with MC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2006, 01:40:15 pm »

Is there any way to transfer data from another app's cd.ini into MC? I have an extremely good success rate using another ripper and freedb. I'd love to be able to transfer the results of the online lookup into MC and rip with MC.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29099.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2006, 09:00:05 pm »

YADB connection is finally working, actually this afternoon after I posted.

Now I have a repeatable bug om my XP and x64 machines. I have a cd not in YADB and just want to hear so I hit cancel rather than enter the data, this crashes MC. On my x64 machine it stopped after a few times, but now I am seeing this repeatedly on the XP laptop...FYI.

DC

patricklang

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2006, 04:23:17 am »

Uninstalling IE7 beta worked for me, I have YADB working again with IE6.  I have not tried the newer RC build of IE7 yet.
Enjoying bit-perfect audio since Media Center 10!

Current 192k setup: SB Recon3d (using hdaudio.sys) -> SPDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Rotel RX-975 -> Event 20/20 v1
Headphone setup: Meta42 amp, AKG k501, AKG k271
Portable setup: Meridian Explorer -> Etymotic ER-4P with S adapter
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up