INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tree Child Items and The Panes Bar  (Read 1771 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tree Child Items and The Panes Bar
« on: September 10, 2006, 05:45:33 pm »

Currently, in both MC11.1 and MC12, when you choose a "Child" item below one of your view schemes in the tree the Panes bar (where you switch from Panes to Tiles mode, and have the thumbnail slider) disappears completely.  This means:

1) you can't use the Thumbnail slider.  This sucks on it own.
2) It doesn't match the interface or behavior when you navigate through the library in any other way (when you open different selections in the Panes or in Tiles you certainly don't lose the Panes bar)
3) you can't switch to tiles mode without de-selecting the choice in the tree.

Why don't the three different navigation styles "match"?  They should all use a consistent UI including the Panes Bar.  I also think they should also really "follow each other".  If you navigate somewhere through the Tiles mode, and then switch to Panes mode, you should still be "open" at the same place in the Library.  As is, it keeps you on the same View Scheme, but resets it to where you started.  Same goes for the tree...  The Panes selections, if open, should follow Tree selections (and Tiles, if showing, should too).  I can't think of a reason it's not this way, and I find it confusing to switch between the different navigation styles because of it.  MC seems to just be constantly forgetting where it was.

We already have the convenient "Click here to reset" for if you drill down and get lost (and enough visual/cookie crumb cues to help you figure it out otherwise), and it's easy to just select a different item in the tree to "start again" anyway...

Is this just difficult to make happen?  It seems so clunky the way it is, and it just seems like "it should work" the other way.  What do others think?  At the very, very least (if it's too difficult to make them "follow each other"), please keep the Panes bar there when child items are selected, and have it's functions accessible (lacking the Thumnail slider stinks for browsing pictures).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Tree Child Items and The Panes Bar
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:03:14 pm »

Once you're filtered using the tree, showing panes or stacks doesn't make sense. (or is at least less clear)

For this reason, extra controls are hidden in this mode.  A simple view header like a playlist has may still make sense.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:08:15 pm »

Once you're filtered using the tree, showing panes or stacks doesn't make sense. (or is at least less clear)

For this reason, extra controls are hidden in this mode.  A simple view header like a playlist has may still make sense.

I'm not sure at all why this doesn't make sense.  Why can't I filter using the tree, and then switch to using the Panes, starting up "where I left off"?  Why can't I use a combination of the methods if I want to?  Can you explain what doesn't make sense about it?

Either way, it stinks that I can't get to the Thumbnail slider after I've drilled down using the tree.  Access to the Mode change tools would be nice too but I won't cry if not.  I just don't get it.

To me, it doesn't make sense that if I drill down using Tiles/Stacks and then switch to Panes (or to the Tree) that it puts me back to where I started.  Those "filters" should be preserved when switching "modes" IMHO.  To me, it seems like your position and "filtering" in the library is similar to a file system caret.  Every time I switch from details view to thumbnails view to tiles view in Windows Explorer, it doesn't kick my file system caret back to where I started.  Clicking and opening a folder in Windows Explorer's tree works the same (and takes you to the same place) as opening it in the details pane (even when you aren't showing the file system tree).

It's confusing to me that MC doesn't work this way!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:48:51 pm »

I just thought I'd reiterate....

While I think the "unified" filter approach I described above would be much more intuitive and would help me navigate more efficiently... I'm certainly not in all or nothing mode on the issue!

I'd really, really just like the thumbnail slider.  The other stuff is gravy (good gravy, but gravy nonetheless).   ;D   ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 03:28:55 pm »

Just bumping this to see if I can get any love on the Thumbnail Slider...   ;D

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:34:42 pm »

Yeah I kind of miss this too. The space is already used up, and looks blank. Adding a few simple tools wouldn't clutter things up and adds more freedom for people to do things how their brain works. Feel the love!
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up