INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you using MC12 as your default player now?

Using MC12 most of the time
- 16 (64%)
Using both MC11 and MC12
- 6 (24%)
Not using MC12 much at this time
- 3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: How's MC12 working?  (Read 2673 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
POLL: How's MC12 working?
« on: September 21, 2006, 03:34:05 pm »

We'd like to know how well it's going for you.  Just in general.  We know there's still work left to do.

If you're not using MC12 much, it would be useful to hear why not.

Thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: POLL: How's MC12 working?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:38:21 pm »

I Was Here First

Not Running into too many problems after I changed skins, other than media Editor problems.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:45:46 pm »

Using MC.12 exclusively here... unistalled MC.11 with my first installation of 12.

In general, for my use (mostly audio and some video clips), is working pretty well... no major problems but the "rip refresh bug"  ;D

I'm happy having switched to 12.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 03:57:14 pm »

In general, for my use (mostly audio and some video clips), is working pretty well... no major problems but the "rip refresh bug"  ;D
Deivit,
I'm sorry we haven't fixed that.  I've seen you report it several times.  Can you start a thread on just that problem, with as much detail as you have?  Or link to it if you've done that already and I'll see what I can do.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:08:58 pm »

Using only MC12, would be happy if smartlists with dates are more user friendly, like a date picker)

Theater view needs also more attention
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:27:49 pm »

I'm now (recently) using MC12 as my primary system for my HTPC, but I'm still using MC11.1 for basically all major tagging tasks.  This is frustrating as I generally have to manually update library from tags on the files I've updated (and I've just basically not been tagging my new video assets).

The only reason I even have 11.1 installed anymore is the tagging usability issues, but it's a big one.  With basically everything else, MC12 is better (it is still less stable than 11.1, but that's to be expected with a beta).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 04:34:25 pm »

Using MC11.1. We have four MC 11.1 PCs. All PCs use a copy of the same main database.

I have installed MC12 on two of the PCs, but testing it with the big main library is not very pleasant because every time I restore the latest version of the MC11.1 database MC needs to build new thumbnails from the scratch. I have a lot of information that is not included in the physical file tags so Otto cannot be used as a solution to this problem.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 04:43:11 pm »

I'm using MC12 on both my machines now.

Primary machine runs Library server and my HTPC is a client running in Thetare Veiw with Girder 4.

Would probably drop back to an earlier build of MC12 if I could but that didn't seem to work, so currently stuck with noisy & sluggish HTPC due to Theater View background animations and the new issue with girder 4.

Otherwise I haven't had any issues with MC12 in the last week or so.

R

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 04:54:25 pm »

Using MC11 for importing as MC12 is not able to import MPL files any longer.

I import a lot of artwork files where image infos is stored externally. So I convert this info to MPL files which I import into MC11. As long as MC12 does not offer some way of importing external information (be it .txt, .csv, .xls or .mpl files) I will not migrate completely to MC12.

MC12 is used for playback as video has improved a lot.

My library consists of 26'000 images, about 3'000 audio tracks (95% ape, 95% classical music), about 2000 documents (.doc, .xls, .pdf), about 100 movies (mostly divx format).

General features I would like to be included in MC12:
- File import of info files (.txt, .csv, .xls or mpl/xml)
- More generalized media types (kind of virtual media types, already described in some other threads))
- More configurability for image slide shows (caption display, image framing)
- Better document handling (especially writing back tags to file)
- Movie database information retrieval, cover art for movies
- Specific image for artist in artist displays
- Export of image playlists to revolving wallpapers, screensavers, screensaver files and exe files being able to export image/music playlists to external cd/dvd with nice menu selection system, transitions, tag infos etc to be able to autorun themselves. There are plenty of programs doing that, but none can import MC image tags, so they are basically useless.
- user specific translation files, so that the global translation file does not overwrite every time user specific translation (mainly user defined fields).
- vertical splits (good for large screens)
- method to completely synchronize versions of MC between two or more PC's (including files, library, settings) including subsets of a library.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 08:03:24 pm »

I'm personally still waiting for Theater View to be completed. I'm mainly speaking about this thread:

Theater View Nav Changes: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35250.0

General TV stability and performace issues are preventing me from using MC12 fully at this time - which is to be expected for beta.

PS - Jim, regarding the above thread.... since you requested what we (the beata team) would like to see happen in this space, I'm wondering why you've not made any comment on our proposal???

Cheers.

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 09:07:58 pm »

There are many obvious advantages to MC12 that directly effect me (such as Audible playback over Media Server) but there are some reasons I haven't fully migrated to MC12 yet.  I still find that MC12 is not quite as stable as MC11.1 (although it's getting better), and MC12's Theater View is a bit rough around the edges.  My main issue with MC12 at this point, however (as many of you may have guessed based on my previous posts), is it's Tag window.  I still find MC11.1's Tag window to be superior to MC12's, and the differences in this regard, in MY personal work, are still too large to ignore.  At this point, this is the main reason I have not fully migrated to MC12.

Other things I'd like to see added to MC12 are:

- Support for iPod's new "gapless" capability (that does not require the iTunes "indexing" process.)

- The ability to create custom "main" categories (i.e. like "Audio" or "Movies") so that I can have View Schemes showing BOTH audio AND video in the same list.  This would be helpful for managing newer iPods that can hold Audio, Video, and Images since it would allow us to view ALL iPod compatible files in a single View Scheme.

Thanks,

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 10:07:10 pm »

- The ability to create custom "main" categories (i.e. like "Audio" or "Movies") so that I can have View Schemes showing BOTH audio AND video in the same list.  This would be helpful for managing newer iPods that can hold Audio, Video, and Images since it would allow us to view ALL iPod compatible files in a single View Scheme.

Ummmm.... I think you can, unless I don't understand what you're asking for.  Select "Start" in the tree (or anything other than Audio/Images/Video) and go to Edit --> Add View Scheme.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 02:22:01 am »

Ummmm.... I think you can, unless I don't understand what you're asking for.  Select "Start" in the tree (or anything other than Audio/Images/Video) and go to Edit --> Add View Scheme.

Thanks.  That's not "exactly" what I was talking about (I was hoping to create another "Main" category), but it is definitely more than I realized you could do, and it WILL allow me to create a "multi filetype" view, which is the most important aspect of what I wanted.  I've been trying to so something similar to this, but for some reason I was under the impression that I could only add View Schemes to the existing "Main" categories, which would not allow me to show both Audio and Video in the same View Scheme.  By selecting "Start" when making the new View, it does not have this limitation.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Larry

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 04:54:12 am »

Deivit,
I'm sorry we haven't fixed that.  I've seen you report it several times.  Can you start a thread on just that problem, with as much detail as you have?  Or link to it if you've done that already and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you for your interest, Jim.
Actually JohnT is investigating on that after I sent him a logfile a couple of days ago. More in this thread.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 06:35:47 am »

I am somewhere in between "mostly 12" and "both".  I am mostly using 12 but had some issues with RAW images where the auto importer would overwrite my tags.  To be honest I have not had time to see if this is fixed.

I also feel like there is A LOT of new features and flexibility in 12 that i have not gotten into.  For example setting up view schemes I think has new ways of displaying.  A "primer" on the new changes in this area (from anyone) would be helpful.  Sometimes you just stick to your existing schemes without realizing there are new ways to do it.

Here was the original post on RAW (see number 2).

[Please let me know if you want new bug threads or in the "version" threads.  This does not seem related to a specific version, so started new thread]

1.You are getting EXIF data from JPG but not RAW.  When I click on "Format" on a RAW fiel I can see Maker:Nikon and Model: D70S, so you are getting something, but not all of it.  When I Update Library from Files, it does not take these fields into the corresponding Camera field.  I am using Nikon, so my RAW files are really NEF file types.  Other image viewers can see EXIF from JPG and RAW files, I confirmed this.  I think you need to support EXIF across all image types you support (in other words give the same support to all image types), so I consider this a bug that EXIF is not being recognized in RAW files.

2. I think Marko has pointed out a connection between whether an image file has an "MJMD" tag and how the EXIF information updating works.   He reported that if a file did not have MJMD tagging, the image tag updating could overwrite tags.  With that said, here is my scenario:

* previously moved NEF files into a new album.  (i.e. got rid of default Album tag of 2006-01-20 and made a different album tag)
* keep in mind NEF does not have MJMD tags, the format does not support it.
* when I later did an Update Library From Files (to try and get the Camera Make and Model), it over wrote my Album with the default album name 2006-01-20).

I don't know if it is a function of being a RAW/NEF file or of not having an MJMD tag, but it shoudl never be overwriting my Album tag.

3. Request:  Would like to get other EXIF data into the database for expressions and filtering.  This would be a Nice To Have,  but it would really make the Image processing powerful.  Example fields:  JPEG Quality (might be Nikon specific), Exposure program, Exposure Bias, Metering.   I would use this mostly for learning more about my camera -- make a view scheme with detailed captions to compare and contrast different exposure settings.  I think this would have to be an Advanced Option under Library called "Advanced EXIF import" where you map the fields.  A less good approach would be to take all EXIF data and dump it into one database field (called EXIF) and then I would try to things with expressions, but that would not be great.

dcwebman

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 07:10:50 am »

Using MC 12 99% of the time now. Besides the occasional crash, which I wish I could determine what causes them, it seems to be working fine.

Of course the tagging issue needs to be resolved before even saying MC 12 is close to being finished.
Jeff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 08:21:41 am »

oh i do like the new start and podcast pages.

On the podcast pages i do feel like it should be setup with genres lists links
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 08:24:58 pm »

MC 12 is working great overall for me.  I haven't had a crash in a while and overall it's faster and easier to use.

One feature that was changed and I don't like missing, is the abillity to select multiple tiles and then refine the selection through the tile view menu.  I posted this just now on a seperate thread:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35898.0
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 09:23:02 pm »

Thanks, everyone.  I've locked the poll since MC12 is now open to a wider group.  We'll do it again in a few weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up