INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: import data from other apps? (mediamonkey, winamp, itunes, etc?)  (Read 3168 times)

m0d01

• Recent member
import data from other apps? (mediamonkey, winamp, itunes, etc?)
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:00:58 pm »

just bought media center. love it. its the best of all the meida players. i've tried a LOT of programs over the years and jrmc is by far the smoothest, easiest, and most robust of them all.

the last program i was using was mediamonkey. it was great because it could import all my playcounts and ratings from winamp/itunes/media player and integrate it into one DB. i REALLY WANT to keep my counts and ratings and continue forward using only jrmc. so...

MY QUESTION IS THIS: is there a way for me to import my mediamonkey library data into jrmc? specifically the playcounts, last played dates and ratings? can i use MM to somehow write them into the ID3 tag? i don't know if these fields are stored in ID3...

please inform.

thanks,
n1ck

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: import data from other apps? (mediamonkey, winamp, itunes, etc?)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 03:54:33 am »

What library export formats does your previous app support ?

Idea here is export former apps library in a format known by MC, plus little editing for tag name pairs followed by an import into MC of a test sample.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:56:12 am »

Idea here is export former apps library in a format known by MC

I wasn't aware that MC had the ability to import metadata only?  This would be a great feature, but all of the import tools/documentation that I see refers to importing medai files, not metadata files.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 05:40:39 am »

I wasn't aware that MC had the ability to import metadata only?
When MC imports media, it just reads the file's tags and its location and saves these to its library.

It's possible via MPL to import metadata, which is an XML format that MC uses and this applies only to media that has not been imported as yet, you can't update metadata for already existing files in MC using MPL.

So going back to the orig posters Q, it's possible but there might be some preparatory work to do.

Need to know what tags are comon between the two apps.
- If you saved (playcounts, last played dates and ratings) to the file, will MC be able to read these tags ?

Try with a few files and see if it works. If not then there is going to be a bit of fields juggling going on to get it to work. You copy these fields to the ones that MC can recognise whilst in musicmatch, then import the media into MC and Move->Copy these fields to their right place. This requires saving these fields to the files.

OR

If you don't want to save anything to the files or its impractical to use fields then export the musicmatch library in a text form, then transform it to MPL format and import into MC. This will require some knowledge of either Perl or XSL.

To see what the MPL format looks like, save an album whilst in MC by File->Export Playlist->Format (MPL Playlist), select where you want to save it and then click OK.

m0d01

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:56:58 am »

Need to know what tags are comon between the two apps.
- If you saved (playcounts, last played dates and ratings) to the file, will MC be able to read these tags ?

Try with a few files and see if it works. If not then there is going to be a bit of fields juggling going on to get it to work. You copy these fields to the ones that MC can recognise whilst in musicmatch, then import the media into MC and Move->Copy these fields to their right place. This requires saving these fields to the files.

I can get MediaMonkey to output (to CSV or XML) a report including all the data I need. I was thinking today that I might be able to use MP3tag to take the CSV data and feed it into a Custom field. THen once in the ID3 tag, I could get MC to read the data, then move the field from Custom to the appropriate field once the data is in the MC library somewhere. I'm still looking into this option to see if all these operations are possible in their respective applications. But for you info, MediaMonkey can write to all the standard ID3 tag fields, and it stores the playcount in a seperate DB. The main MM database is in MDB format, so I'm assuming we can convert.

I should mention that I know close to nothing about scripting/programming/databases so I'm flying blind here. I am, however, a very technical user, and am capable of doing very involved work provided I get sufficient instruction.

THanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. :)

n1ck
Pages: [1]   Go Up